Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Slab Table Finish

Still trying to finish my 1st attempt at a slab item.

Slab looks pretty good and have finished the polyirathene coats after a small problem.

I have read other threads on EEE with great interest.

Have tested my 1st go at EEE and Traditional Wax and really liked the look (did the reverse side of the table).

I have a few questions seeking comments:

The table is a computer table that will eventually have a seperate 3 drawer file cabinet to go with it. Do most people apply the wax to legs and rail supports as well as top?

The test section looked great but after doing it any rub with finger tip shows a mark. So does it harden or is it maybe not the finish for a computer table. Please consider that this will be a well used table.

Comments welcome.

Cheers

Ven

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Ven, for anything with high usage, draging computers etc around, hot cups, etc I usually put 3 coats of estapol on and then polish the top with 1200 wet & dry with light oil and then again with 0000 steel wool and oil which gives it a realy smooth and attractive finish but still very tuff and serviceable.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

So far claw I've finished 2 brush coats and 2 spray coats (can) and a light sand with 1500 and 000 steel wool.

Now the decision what to finalise with.

Cheers

If anything at all after that I usually just give it a wipe over with Feast Watson furniture polish or O'Cedar or similar.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Default Only 3/4 happy

Posted Pics of finished desk which is stage 1. Overall happy but feel finish could be better.

I finished top with EEE Shine and followed up with UBeaut Traditional Wax. The test section I did on underside by hand went really good (I have not used Wax previously). For the top finish, I went and got a couple of Swansdown mops.

This process seemed to leave the finish a bit streaky and patchy. Admittedly you can only pick if you get down very low to surface and look along it to the bright window/door light. I feel that the mops were not the way to go but this may be beacause I've never used them before (maybe 2 higher a speed?). Had little white dust patches apper where mop stopped and this was hard to get off. This is where some of that patchyness is.

It's either accept the finish for now as up close you can almost use as a mirror when looking down or take the wax off with something and redo by hand.

Cheers