Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Buffet and Hutch WIP

Thought I'd have a go at doing a WIP. I get a lot of enjoyment out of reading other WIPs, and thought somebody might like to follow this project.

I got myself some reject hardwood from one of Studley's previous offers, and it's been taking up room in the shed for quite a while now. This project will be a buffet and hutch, made from this.

I've been mucking around learning Sketchup, and have created a rough concept of what I want it to look like. I'm making the base first. It'll be about 1200 wide, and around 900 tall. It will contain two drawers, and two doors.

Photos show my progress last weekend and today.

First up, there's a lot of basic dimensioning work to be done! This timber is called "reject" for a reason. It takes a fair bit of work to get it to the sizes needed, and there's quite a lot of waste. Still, I think it cost around the same as a load of firewood, so I'm not complaining.

The sides consist of a raised panel in a basic frame, joined to the legs. Photos show the profile of the panel, and I've used Dominoes to join the parts of the frame together. I've then used Dominoes to attach the legs. Love the Domino. No measuring required. Just draw a line across the two pieces to be joined, line up with centre line on the Domino and plunge.

The photos show the sides dry-fitted together. Still need to round over the outer edges of the legs, and scrape/sand to get it ready for its finish later on.

Tomorrow, I plan on making the drawer frame assembly, and the base.

ajw

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking good.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thumbs up

Some nice looking timber there and you are doing it proud.

Looks great so far. Nice job on the panels.

Tex

Default Day 3

Today I worked on the base. I spent some more time at the jointer and thicknesser to get the stock I needed.

Next, I wanted to cut the curve in the "kickboard" at the lower front. I started by drawing the curve I wanted using the usual technique of flexing at strip of timber to the shape I wanted, then drawing it. Next, I used the bandsaw to cut out the bulk of the waste. My bandsaw skills are not very good...

To get a nice smooth curve, I built a template guide and then nailed it to the reverse side of the workpiece, creating a smooth curve that I could follow using a straight-cut bit with a bearing on the top. Worked really well - would recommend this approach for curves (unless your bandsawing skills are good and you can get a good curve straight off the bandsaw!)

Next, I used a round-over bit on the curve, and also used the same bit on the exterior edges of the legs I made yesterday.

I created a shallow rebate to accept the curved stock, to help keep it in alignment. I'll glue and domino the two together later, after final sanding.

The base assembly will be attached to a piece of 19mm ply to complete the bottom shelf.

Overall, I'm quite happy with how this has turned out so far.

ajw

Looking good!

You have two router tables? One in the TS wing and another in a bench?

<insert green-with-envy smily here>

Default Day 3 continued

Started looking at the door assemblies today. I bought a rail and stile bit set from Carbatec a while ago, and decided to make some samples to see how it worked.

I was very impressed with the accuracy of these bits. With a little patience, I was able to get a very tight fitting joint in some scrap stock. I like the look this set creates, and will use it on the base doors. Not sure about the top - which will contain glass - will have to see when I get to that part.

I hope to get to the doors next weekend, so it was good to get this testing done today.

ajw

Are you using fingerboards or doing those by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Looking good!

You have two router tables? One in the TS wing and another in a bench?

<insert green-with-envy smily here>
    Hi Groggy,

Is it possible to have too many routers? I've got a big Triton in the bench, and a small Triton that I tend to use freehand. It can be mounted in the TS wing but I haven't bothered. The wing came with the hole and mounting hardware - might come in useful someday. Would definitely use it if I didn't have a dedicated router bench, or if space was very limited.

ajw

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Are you using fingerboards or doing those by hand?
    Those were done by hand on the router table. I don't often use featherboards on the router table. I tend to set the bit height to the finished height I want, and then adjust the fence after each cut until I get the finished result I'm after.

Didn't have any problem with this approach using these bits. I did use a wide backing board when I was routing the end-grain

ajw

G'day ajw,

Enjoying the wip.

Just one question regarding the router table top. Is it veneered ply or solid timber or just some good looking laminex. I'm building one at the moment and was wondering whether I could get away with not using laminex for the top.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemc32 View Post
    Just one question regarding the router table top. Is it veneered ply or solid timber or just some good looking laminex. I'm building one at the moment and was wondering whether I could get away with not using laminex for the top.
    Hi Steve,

I made it from a piece of veneered particle board (around 30mm thick) that I had left over from another project. It's not perfect, but it serves its purpose for now. I will replace it one day, and would use a laminex surface for better durability and flatness.

ajw

Watching with interest.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Looking good.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Default Day 4

More work with the Domino today. I have found it useful to create a "storyboard" for pieces like legs. I make a test piece, and then mark out on it the positions of the various mortices, shelf heights etc. This makes it easier to check I'm not about to cut something in the wrong place. Doesn't prevent it , but does reduce the chances.

I get impatient at this stage of a project. It's at that stage where you can start to put it together and do a quick dry-fit just so I can see if it's turning out like I imagine. Also useful to check the dimensions of the next pieces I'll need to make.

For this kind of cabinet, I find it easier to dry-fit it on its side.

Got the bottom shelf glued up today. I've used some 19mm ply for the centre part of the shelf, with timber front and back for stiffness.

Next, I worked on the frame that will surround the drawers. A simple H-frame top and bottom, attached with Dominoes. I'll be using full-extension metal drawer slides for this project, and need something to fix the slides to in the middle. I glued a piece of timber to a length of 19mm ply. Haven't decided yet whether this centre piece will be visible from the front or not. I need to do a couple of sketchup drawings to see which I prefer. I suspect I'll recess the upright, so that the drawer fronts have the same full width as the doors below.

When cutting this centre panel to the correct width, I forgot to take account of the position of the dominoes I'd used. Mistake #1 for this project - but not really a significant problem. It will still be plenty strong enough.

It was hot today. Around 30 degrees - almost too hot for me in the shed. I hope it's a bit cooler tomorrow. I've got some more thicknessing to do - time to get the panels for the doors happening, and I need some thinner stock for the drawers too!

ajw

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast