Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: DADO set fitup

Default DADO set fitup

Hello all
    Can some one please explain what sort of arbor is required on a table saw to hold a Dado stack?
    I have a Carbatech 12SS and not thinking much bought a Freud 8" 30mm set. It appears some other sort of arbor is required as mine only has a very slight boss to fit the standard blade which steps down to the diameter of the nut thread.
    Is some sort of adapter required?
    Nili Illegittimi Carborundum

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I don't know the saw and am not sure what you mean by"slight boss"but am assuming you mean the arbor is less than 30 mm. Dado sets should be bought to fit the specific arbour size though you could buy saw blade bushes to step down from the 30mm to the size of your arbor. You can find them on the Carbatec website in the saw blade section here http://www.carbatec.com.au/saw-blade-bushes_c3550

You need one bush for each blade and chipper as they are a tight press fit (aided by a light touch with the hammer and cannot be shifted from blade to blade.

If you mean by slight that the arbor is not long enough to fit the dado set then your saw is not able to take a dado set and you cannot get an adapter to make it fit.
    I never make mistakes, I thought I did once but I was mistaken

Top 10 reasons I procrastinate

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

My previous 12" Carbitec contractors saw has a 5/8" arbour and I purchased a dado stack to fit the arbour, my new Leda 12" cabinet saw has a 30mm arbour so had to purchase a a new dado stack to fit (a Freud) I could get a longer arbour to accommodate the full stack plus the bush but I find that the times that I need to use the fill stack just using the nut works fine I can get full thread length this way.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Thanks Gents
    Pusser
    Sorry, my terminology is probably up the creek. I'll try again..
    The bench takes blades with a 30 mm hole. The shaft and thread diameter are less than this, approx. 25mm. So you slide the blade easily along the shaft when fitting till you get to the 30mm bit and slip the blade onto that, (what I called a boss). Its only about 3mm wide, or about an average saw plate width. Whats got me flumoxed is OK, so my left hand Dado blade sits onto this, but the chippers and RH blade are still 30mm and obviously too loose on the shaft. My first job I'm using it for is to rip a 6ishmm groove (T&G) so I've made do with fitting a bush to RH blade that I had on hand and that works a treat. Problem, with only left and right dado's fitted I only have about 4 mm of thread left on the shaft, obviously about 1 more chipper is about it. So I'm guessing it isn't designed to take a Dado, bit disappointing after buying 5G worth of bench - should have asked the question before hand I spose.

Phil
    I'm presuming this extended arbour screws onto existing and flushes up to the step (boss) that exists, if indeed your old saw had such a step?

Thanks again for your help

The Carbatec catalogue has a note on p57 that states you need an extension arbour to accept dado & thin kerf blades.

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Quote Originally Posted by Mulgaman View Post
    Thanks Gents

Phil
    I'm presuming this extended arbour screws onto existing and flushes up to the step (boss) that exists, if indeed your old saw had such a step?

Thanks again for your help
    Didn't worry about it on the old saw, If i chose to fit the extended arbour on the new saw the old one screws out and the extended one goes in in its place, but that would interfere with the tilt of the blade the arbour would hit the insert. so I use the original without the washer.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Snapman
    Not my model -TS12SS
    Looked back at the old catalogue and found states max 15mm DADO
    Guess one has to use spacers on chipper(s) and RH blade
    Phil
    Gues I'll just have to live with a narrow Dado capability

Thanks men