Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 19mm mitre slot bar needed

Can anyone please advise where I might get 19mm x 9mm metal bar to fit under jigs on my table saw?

I can get 20 x 6 Aluminium, or 20 x 10 Steel bar, but have no accurate way of shaving 1mm off the width these bars.

I would prefer metal to plastic runners, so the expansion and contraction of the table slot width and runners is the same. I have used timber pieces of Tassie Oak, but find that the timber runners are very tight in the morning, freeing up when it warms up about lunchtime

I would welcome any suggestions

regards,
    Jill

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Mitre Slides & Bars, both steel and plastic.

The steel version (Incra Steel Mitre Bar) looks identical to the bars on Incra's mitre gauges, which work very well. The little nylon cammy things can be adjusted as they wear. Getting the Incra mitre gauge was the single biggest improvement in cutting accuracy on my JET ProShop saw.

I've also made temporary wooden bars work better by cutting a narrow slot down the middle(maybe extending 50mm in from each end), drill a pilot hole somewhere along the cut, then insert a short screw which can be tweaked to expand the cut and tighten the fit in the mitre slot as required.
    Last edited by Mr Brush; 30th October 2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: dud spelling - see me after skool.....

G'day Jill,

Is this for a MJ2325B saw?

If it is then you might find that 10mm height is good as the sled/jig will not foul the table but give good clearance and run on the runners. I have used adjustable aluminium shelving track as runners as well as "Ronstan Alloy 'T' Track item RC7320" which is available from a boat chandlery -anodised and very hard. The profile is a letter T when viewed from the end - the vertical leg goes in the track and the underside of the horizontal rides the table - the jig attaches on the top of the horizontal easily as it comes with holes for attachment.

This stuff is not all that cheap but it works well and lasts forever [just about]. Places that rebuild boats etc probably have bits of it lying around - that's where I got mine.

Just another thought.

Regards,
    Bob