Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Interesting idea Frank. Not sure what effect it would have. I guess somebody will just have to try it.

For myself I think it would just add a level of unneccessary complexity. The stuff is not that hard to carve, its just that its not the same as wood. Once you understand its strengths and weaknesses as a carving medium and take appropriate steps, its fairly straight forward. Its really just a case of getting used to it.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Great idea - finally a use for a golf ball that i might be reasonable at

Quote Originally Posted by Brett M View Post
    Great idea - finally a use for a golf ball that i might be reasonable at

Great! Grab yer balls and have a go!

G'day everyone

Whittling, I have given a few of my golfball faces to a few friends over the last couple of months. When you mentioned mounting them on tees, I thought you may find the way I have been mounting mine interesting. I have enclosed a pic for appraisal. I have played around a bit and have designed some to come enclosed in a single ball box and others fully mounted as in pic presented in a 3x ball sleeve box.

Cheers

Grant

Fantastic Grant. Certainly something useful to do with the other half of the cover! When you pack them in a box, do you put the empty half cover back over the face so that it fits in the box?

I'm not sure I've ever posted photos of mine in their final form. For your interest I've attached a photo of the way I present mine I call them Golf Ball Trolls and usually display 25 or so at a time. The saying vary according to the expressions. About half I mount on tees and half on the 'grass' of the wooden plinth. When I first started to carve these guys, it took longer to carve the ball than make the plinth. Now its the other way around.

G'day Whittling and everyone

Whittling, your mounts are very professional in appearance. I can understand why they are so salable.

How do you do your text on the timber so nicely?

Mine, lucky for me, are only curios for friends, so don't have to be so flash.

I have attached some pics of the way that I have presented my carvings to my friends and the way I manoeuvered the golf tees to mount them. Hopefully might give everyone some ideas.

If anyone else has any suggestions for novel mounts it would be great to hear them.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant,

I love the way you 'package' your guys! The one looking out of the 'window' is absolutely brilliant! If I could get a consistant supply of boxes, I'd be tempted to copy that idea.

I notice too, you've had another go at a female face. Excellent effort there. I still haven't worked up the courage to have another bash.

A friend of mine mounts his on corks and sells them as bottle stops... with some success apparently. I didn't go that way because I wanted to be able to play with 'sayings' to match the expressions.

The wording is done using the computer and Micosoft Publisher. Each plinth is cut so that I've got about 45 x 45 mm area to attach the 'saying' to. I can make up 20 such squares on an A4 page. Then its just a matter of typing in what you want your 'troll' to say in that space, pick a font that matches the spirit of the wording and then copy for the quantity you want to make. Next I print them out on ordinary paper and take them down to our local 'Quick Print' guy who runs them through his copier onto clear, sticky-backed plastic sheeting. Then its just a matter of cutting them up into the little 45 x45 squares and storing them away until needed. Just peel and stick!

I keep a half dozen or so of each of 35 sayings in a little tin and replace them as needed. They work out to about 20 cents each so I can afford to change the saying to something else if the customer likes a particular face but wants a different saying. I don't mind spending an extra 20 cents to get a $20 sale!

I make the bases up in batches of 30 or 40, usually out of Tassie Oak. I'm due to make another batch soon. If you're interested, I could take a few photos of the process and post them, but I won't bother unless you tell me you want it. Believe me..I won't be insulted if you don't.

G'day Whittling

I would appreciate you posting pics of the process you use for your bases. I find all this stuff very interesting being a novice in the carving game. I am sure many other budding carvers would also be interested.

Cheers

Grant

No problem Grant but I hope you aren't expecting too much. There's no carving involved at all... purely wood machining. I'll try to get a few photos of the process in a week or so when I'm making some more.

Been a while since I visited this thread but it is fascinating and great fun looking at all those wonderful carved golf balls. Well done guys. Love 'em
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

I have bumped this thread to the top of the queue again mainly because Whittling asked me to have a look at it because of my difficulty carving faces.

I have only taken an interest in carving about November last year, so missed this thread. By the size of it it will take me a while to get up to speed whith what was said.

Thanks again Whittling.

Pete

Wow!! those faces are awesome. i dont really know much about carving ive done some relief carving, so im going to give one a try and see what happens

Hi Guys

I've got mixed feelings about this thread resurfacing. I know for those who have little interest in face carving its 'popped up again like a bad penny' (as my grandmother used to say). I originally did it to help those struggling to master the human caricature face. It started out as a simple WIP and just grew!

On the other hand the same 'how to' questions about facial carving keep coming up and I didn't really see the need to post it all again, so I have refered people to it from time to time and suggested they have a look if they are interested and think it can help. It wasn't my intention that it be resurected. However, since its here again I hope it helps those with an interest in learning and generates an interest in those who have not thought to try it up to now.

I would be very interested to see the results of everyone's efforts if you feel you can spare the time to post a photo or two.

I think this thread is priceless.

The step by step instructions, plus the excellent helpful critique provided by Whittling and others, for myself personally, was exceptional. As a novice carver of faces, I cannot thank Whittling enough for his help. I have purchased a number of books on carving faces and golf balls, and none can compare to this freely offered help. The basics of this thread, in my humble opinion, should be made into a permanent reference for any budding caricature face carvers . (I hope you don't mind Whittling, but your expert advice as I said prior, is priceless).

Woodkid, you cannot help but learn heaps from this thread. I wish you all the best in your face carving learning experience. (By the way, carving golf balls alone, can become quite addictive).

Cheers

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Grunter53 View Post

I think this thread is priceless.

The step by step instructions, plus the excellent helpful critique provided by Whittling and others, for myself personally, was exceptional. As a novice carver of faces, I cannot thank Whittling enough for his help. I have purchased a number of books on carving faces and golf balls, and none can compare to this freely offered help. The basics of this thread, in my humble opinion, should be made into a permanent reference for any budding caricature face carvers . (I hope you don't mind Whittling, but your expert advice as I said prior, is priceless).

Woodkid, you cannot help but learn heaps from this thread. I wish you all the best in your face carving learning experience. (By the way, carving golf balls alone, can become quite addictive).

Cheers

Grant
    --------------------------------------------

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast