Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

G'day Whittling and everyone

Whittling, I have learned my lesson with dual core balls. They can stay in the practice bag or bin. Some of the balls I have removed the covers on that are blue inside which you may wish to target for your blue moon balls are:

DDH Extra Soft (light blue)
    Dunlop DDH (light blue + other colours)
    Dunlop Loco Tres (blue)
    Executive Titanium Plus (blue)
    hotdot (light blue)
    maxfli Revolution (light blue)
    maxfli XS Distance (light blue)
    Molitor 332 Spalding (light blue)
    Molitor Spalding ( blue)
    pinnacle exception 2 (sort of turquoisey blue with spots)
    pinnacle long drive (sort of dark blue with spots)
    precept 33 (blue)
    precept 33 Laddie (blue )
    precept 00 (blue)
    precept 22 Laddie (blue + other colours)topflite ESP (blue)
    topflite XL Performance 90 (blue)
    topflite XL 3000 super long (blue with flecks)
    wilson staff DX2 (blue)
    yellow golf-range ball (blue)

Good luck in your search

Cheers

Grant

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Tank Stand

I had a look through my golf ball bucket and found the only TaylorMade I possess. Sadly, it is not a new "TaylorMade Penta" as requested, but an old "TaylorMade TP/RED/LDP".

It is a dual core - orange and red. The mantle is quite thin so I will have a go at carving it some time. I have attached a pic for your interest. If I can acquire a Penta I will chop it up and show you.

Cheers

Grant

G'day everyone

Whittling, I had a go at carving a female face yesterday. I am after any advice which can make the face look more female. My wife reckons it looks like "Gaius" the bloke out of the TV show Merlin. I hate to say it but she is right.

I am learning that when you are at my level of expertise you should only say who the carving looks like once it is finished. Makes you look like you know what you are doing (chuckle).

The ball is a pinnacle exception 2 (sort of turquoisey blue with spots). May not be quite blue enough for your blue moon balls.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Grant,

I can definately see the move toward a more female-like face in this latest one. Unfortuneately, while I can advise a bit on facial expression as it applies to playing with facial components, I'm buggered if I can carve a convincing female face myself!

I've only ever carved one that I would even begin to call something like female. That was on the shaft of a walking stick as a commission. I've had a look through my image data base but I can't find it. I do have the image from which the carving was taken. Its not much but its all I've got at the moment.

The points that helped me... such as they are...

The face is more tapered in the chin, nose smaller and more refined, mouth wide but slim... don't bring the mouth mound lines down around the mouth.. just let them taper out high up near the nose, eyes can be large but again refined and few if any facial 'wrinkles'. Where possible, let the hair frame the face and make it (the hair) smooth and flowing rather than messy and tangled. Try a smaller 'v' tool for this.

How about somebody else's imput here too! I know some of you guys can carve the female face to perfection! Any tips for us poor hackers?

Thanks Whittling

I see what you mean about the more refined features when I look at your pic. I will have another go using your advice and see if I can improve. Will post a pic when done.

Cheers

Grant

Well I know I'm not going to be of any use, if you want an ugly face to attatch to your gutter and spit water then I can give that a red hot go but my female faces look like, well, ugly faces that spit water

Thanks Whittling, your have put in clear words something that is difficult to describe. I wish I had this advice when I did my first carvings of chess pieces when I was 19 and all I had was a cheap linoleum cutting set and the willingness to try something new, with absolutely no knowledge or easy ways to acquire it.

Here are the faces of the queens: not to teach anything to anybody, obviously, but to show that intuitively I must have tried to do something along the lines of what you said. '

Frank&Earnest

Thanks for showing these pics. It has reinforced what Whittling said. Just have to have a go now. Won't be for a day or two though, just had a big lump cut out of my right arm which will slow me down for a couple of days or so.

I had to laugh at my Sister's critique of my attempt at a female face - she reckons she is ugly , needs a trip to the dentist, a nose job, a new hair do and some plastic surgery. Amazing how women seem to notice these things more than men !!!!! I really only had to go to her for advice

Anyhow, many thanks for the tips.

Cheers

Grant

My first try at carving a golf ball. Not very good. It was more brittle than I thought it would be. I opened my second one, it will be better.
    Attachment 144163
    CV3
    Make today a day that will let you smile.

Not a bad effort mate. You'll find this stuff is different to work than wood. You can't scrape or sand it at all, which means that you have to be precise with your blade cuts. It doesn't power carve too well either. I find they are a good learning exercise in precision blade work.

Looking forward to seeing further work from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Whittling View Post
    Not a bad effort mate. You'll find this stuff is different to work than wood. You can't scrape or sand it at all, which means that you have to be precise with your blade cuts. It doesn't power carve too well either. I find they are a good learning exercise in precision blade work.

Looking forward to seeing further work from you.
    I am learning. I will start another one soon.
    CV3
    Make today a day that will let you smile.

Default Golf Ball Carvings

Here are a few of my attempts at golf ball carving.
    This is my first post so I hope it works.

Well done Doug. You are the first one I've seen so far, other than myself, that mount them on tees when your done. I reckon they look good that way. I notice you've got a female face too...another well done! We've had very limited success with female faces, but we keep trying.

I see you've painted yours. Have you ever considered trying to bring out the facial features with just carving? I know it takes a bit longer but practicing these guys really gave me a much better understanding of what makes up particular facial expressions... knowledge that stood me in good stead later with walking sticks and larger carvings.

Its a small world.. I went to high school in Stoney Creek... good ol' Saltfleet High. I escaped Canadian winter in 73 and been living in Australia ever since!

Whittling
    My goal is to carve faces better. It can come in handy doing other carvings.
    I just retired a little over a year ago and worked in Stoney Creek for the last 4 years.
    Small world.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Whittling View Post
    .........You'll find this stuff is different to work than wood. You can't scrape or sand it at all, which means that you have to be precise with your blade cuts. It doesn't power carve too well either. I find they are a good learning exercise in precision blade work.
    Has anybody experimented with heating either the ball or the blade? I have just read that linoleoum is better cut warm, maybe the elasticity of golf ball materials could be treated in the same way. It could be as simple as dropping the ball in hot water every few minutes. Just a thought.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast