Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Getting better mate... definately getting better. As you say, its all about practice, but its also about each artist's unique style. No matter who carves these, or how talented they are, each person always leaves his/her own style on the project.

Have a few more goes and maybe print the posts I've sent so you can refer to them as you go. Make sure you have the initial two eye planes steep enough so that the face has a rounded look and not too flat in that area. Also, maybe push the mouth plane down a bit. This will give you more area for the eyes. You can make your eye socket 'scoops' come further down the face. The bottom of these scoops define the top of the cheek bones.

The key to clean looking results is making sure that the two component cuts meet up. This means in essence that the tip of your knife on your second cut, buried in the work, must meet up exactly with the place where it was on your first cut. Since all this is buried and you can't see it, it takes a bit of practice to get the feel of it. Sometimes guys who use chisels a lot struggle with this because its not as big a part of chisel technique as it is for blades. Guys who use blades all the time, learn this early, or their work tends to look 'fuzzy' where two converging cuts didn't meet up and the chip was broken or scraped out rather than falling out cleanly.

Its bloody hard to discribe in print, but it is the key.

If you want to, post a WIP and then maybe I can comment in more detail. Its sometimes hard to follow exactly what was done just by looking at the finished product.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Whittling.

I will drop the mouth a bit and hopefully have a little more room to move for the eyes.

I have only recently started to learn to carve. Using a knife to carve and whittle is very new to me. I have been combining both chisels and knife with the golf balls to see which was easier. I guess the knife wins.

Will post a WIP for a bit more direction over the next couple of days.

Cheers

Grant

G'day Whittling

Here is my WIP on eyeballs to date for your assessment.
    I will post the images in a couple of posts.

1st installment

Cheers

Grant

G,day again Whittling

2nd installment

Cheers

Grant

G'day once again Whittling

3rd installment

Appreciate any advice thanks.

Cheers

Grant

The final product. Bit daggy due to a few knife slips. Will improve with practice all goinig well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunter53 View Post
    The final product. Bit daggy due to a few knife slips. Will improve with practice all goinig well.
    Looking good,

You're a long way ahead of me.

Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

Looking good Grant. I especially like the way you've drawn in the bottom of the face from the sides of the ball. This is not something I did so that aspect is purely your own. Its what I meant when I said that eveyone brings something different to this project.

You are definately on the right track. The human face is very complicated. All of its components can be manipulated and they all produce different expressions as you do. As far as the eyes go, maybe push them back a little bit so that the top and the bottom lid are in vertical line. I've attached a scan of a page from a book by Marv Kaisersatt called 'Creating Caricature Heads in Wood and on Paper', in which he describes much better than I can, what I'm talking about here. Don't get too bend out of shape about this... its a small thing and you are carving a golf ball which tends to curve away from the brow faster than a real face would.

Also maybe push the eyes together a bit more so they are more focused, not quite so far apart. You also might try deepening your chip cuts at the sides of the eyeball to give the ball more relief. Finally, try adding a cut or two under the eyes to highlight the lower lids and bags under the eyes. You can put these 'wrinkles' at the outside edges of the eyes and around the mouth and smile lines too.

These are very minor things and ones that continued practice will show you the best way of achieving.

The upper eye lid plays a part here too. Drooped or arched affects expression as do the size and position of the irises. These play into whatever shape you make for the mouth too. In this case you have carved a fairly neutral mouth with just a slight smile. The combinaton of this and eyes just a bit far apart, plus the irises medium sized and not focused in any particular direction, all combine to give your guy a kind of vacant look. Sort of 'thoughts a million miles away..' look. File the effect in your mind and try some more, playing with the facial components and noting the results. It won't be long before you can produce any expression you want.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Thanks Whittling

I really appreciate the advice. The scanned page on eye lid alignment is great. I understand what you mean after looking at it. I had not thought about the vertical alignment, and now that you have described it, I now notice it when I look at people in profile. It is amazing how we look, but don't see as they say. Particularly so when looking at faces. This is a real lesson in observation for me.

As I complete more faces I will post pics for further direction if that is OK?

Thanks again

Grant

I reckon you've just about got it nailed now... but I'm happy to help if you want it. Truth be told.. I learn something every time someone else does one of these things and I get to study what that individual brings to the project.

G'day Whittling and everyone

Here is my latest endeavor ready for dissection.

Still got the eyes wrong. Is there a simple way to be sure both eyes appear to be looking in the same direction? I tried marking the irises in pencil first, but each eye still seemed to have it's own different line of sight once I carved them.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Cheers

Grant

Brilliant Mate! Love the mouth... and a tongue! Don't know why I never thought of that. Very trollish indeed.

As you say, the irises seem to be looking in different directions. The eye on the left (trolls right eye) seems to be looking straight ahead while the other seems to be looking inward.

Try placing the irises all the way over to one side or the other... as far into the corner of the eye as they will go.

If its not too much trouble, could you post a photo of the first step when you have just the eye planes and mouth plane done, nothing else. I think part of the eye trouble is the angle at which they are on the face, but I can't tell until I see the angle of the plane you are starting with.

I can see you having a lot of fun in the very near future making up a whole array of funny expressions.

g'day Whittling

Here are a couple of pictures of the eye planes for your assessment.

Many thanks for your advice.

Grant

G'day Whittling and everyone

Here is the finished product from the eye socket pics I recently posted. I think the penny is starting to drop on how to place the eyes thanks to your advice.

I must admit that it is a lot of fun trying to get the facial bits right, and it is most satisfying when one finally turns out OK.

Thankyou for all the help, and any further suggestions will be most welcome.

Cheers

Grant

Nice.

I really like the mouth on that one.

Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast