Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka Canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Any pics of the Eureka Walesy?

MIK
    Now, don't hold your breath, fellas. As the "Midge" pointed out, I did not specify WHICH Christmas my canoe would be finished by.

Any way, we are now two weeks into the project (at about an hour per week, which is about how much time Grandpa has spare to supervise the boys!) We have finally put pecil to plywood and marked out the bottom, one bilge panel and one side panel.

I am expecting "the Team" to attack the ply with a jigsaw tomorrow and cut out the marked panels. We will then use the cut and planed panels as a template to mark out the other three bilge and side panels and the other half of the bottom.

A piece of ply with pencil marks is not all that interesting, so I have/will also include (if I can work out how to do it!!) some pics of the "Storer Free Paddles" that they made last term. I think they turned out pretty well. Thanks Mik!

I will attempt to keep you posted.

Let me know if the pics come through. (or don't, for that matter)

Walesey

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Howdy Walesy,

I designed the paddles almost 15 years ago now - and these are the first pics I have seen!!!!

Thankyou!

Is it OK for me to use the paddle pic on my website and for other nefarious purposes?

MIK

Of course you are welcome to the pic Mik, but, if it going to be published World Wide, perhaps I could get you one with Stevie NOT in his PJ's!

I think I have an e-mail address for you. I will attempt to get a better one and send it to you if that is suitable. (I think this Forum limits pics to 100K, so that automatically cuts down some of the quality.
    regards
    Walesey

I reckon looking at the great job the boys have done on the paddles, they'll have a ripper of a boat in no time!

Oh and the PJ's? Well they're simply a metaphore for "these plans are so simple, you can build them in your sleep!"

Cheers,

P

Default ???

i am after a free kayak plan because i have to get the money and pay for every thing the main reson i am after free plans is because i am going to modify it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    Bogeyman, at 15 you run the risk of learning very early, that free stuff ends up costing you heaps!

By that I mean, why would you risk several hundred dollars worth of materials, and scunge out on some second rate plans that aren't worth the cost of the paper they are printed on, only to have a boat that isn't worth anything when you've finished all that work?

I could point you to half a dozen free canoe plans on the internet, and I can send you to see the same number of people who have built them. Not all of them are happy with the result! Two have been turned off boat building for life as a result of the poor experience with the plans.

Here's one. A friend of mine built it, and let's just say that it's not the best performing boat in the river! He's now building a Eureka, so his free plans have cost him the price of TWO boats!

Or I can show you that building something that has been nicely designed (like the Eureka, but there are others), is not only simpler and easier, it's at least as cheap, sometimes way cheaper than building from a free plan.

The Eureka has no framing, is a little longer than the boat above, but it does have bouyancy compartments for safety, and you'd be mad not to build those into anything you build.

As a comparison of the amount of detail, you have to get some paddles anyway, so why not download some free paddle plans from Michael Storer's homepage and get building now?

While you are there, have a look at the Eureka pages, and tell your mum you need another $75.00 to get going! By the way, if you are still growing, there is also a shorter version which may suit and take a little less material.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics of your work, we all want to see it happening (even if you build the free boat).

P

Exclamation

The progress is occuring at a phenominal rate with the Eureka. Grandpa came around yesterday and with the help of the boys, we finally applied the jigsaw to the ply wood. There is no turning back now. We are committed!

The boys have cut out one side panel and one bilge panel. The photos show Stevie planing one of the panels and Dave using the jig saw (just to prove that it really is NOT Grandpa who does all the work!) Come on Christmas!
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    regards
    Walesey

PS can somebody tell me how to make these little "Smiley" things work? If I drag one across, all I seem to get is the URLhttps://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/aro-r.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Walesey View Post
    PS can somebody tell me how to make these little "Smiley" things work? If I drag one across, all I seem to get is the URLhttps://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/aro-r.gif
    Don't drag it across, just position your cursor where you want it & then click on the one you want.

At the rate that canoe is going now, Midge will have some competition soon.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Default Another Eureka Canoe Launched

Another Eureka canoe launched - Peter McKenzie:

Hi Michael ,
    Finally finished and launched..straight into the open sea at Burrum Heads ..calm conditions..four klms to a small sheltered creek for trials with one , two and three adults .. and return with10 k SE wind behind us .. performance all I could ask for ..I'm loving it..Lots of favourable comment from admirers on beach at launching.

Two obtained your contact details from me .

I've put his email up as well as the pics at
    http://www.storerboatplans.com/Eurek...noespage3.html

Ah! The boys actually let ME have a play with the Eureka project on the weekend! I love that hand planing!

We now have enough pieces cut out and planed to size to make one of those "Half Canoes" like Midge made! Tell me Midge, is it self draining or do I need to get Mik to design me a Stern piece to keep the water out?

Come on Christmas!!

Peter, Your canoe looks GREAT! How long did it take you to get it all together? (I see you went for the full version rather than the "Midge Half Canoe" version
    Walesey

Smile Grandpa Pete

Ah! The boys actually let ME have a play with the Eureka project on the weekend! I love that hand planing!

We now have enough pieces cut out and planed to size to make one of those "Half Canoes" like Midge made! Tell me Midge, is it self draining or do I need to get Mik to design me a Stern piece to keep the water out?

Come on Christmas!!

Peter, Your canoe looks GREAT! How long did it take you to get it all together? (I see you went for the full version rather than the "Midge Half Canoe" version
    Walesey
    Hi Walesey and boys , Yeah you need the full version , then you get to sit in the back seat... only way to travel . Took from mid Feb to end April working three to four days per week full days 8-10 hours . Mind you you do a lot of dreaming and scheming in that 8-10 hours . If I had my grand kids on the job probably would have finished in half the time . The paddles were the hard part , so you are off to a great start....Grandpa Pete

Walesy, you're going like a rocket!

It took round eight years for me to get to that stage!

Hopefully the varnish will slow you down!

And Congratulations Pete! (Great name BTW) And GREAT boat too!
    cheers,

P

Yeap.
    The one thing that this forum needs is more Petes, particularly ones who can build a canoe in 2 & a half months.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    Walesy, you're going like a rocket!

It took round eight years for me to get to that stage!

Hopefully the varnish will slow you down!

And Congratulations Pete! (Great name BTW) And GREAT boat too!
    cheers,

P
    Hi Midge , My visit to inspect your work last Sept. inspired me...Just took five months to build a shed and get organised again after my dust control system failed in the lounge room .....the Eureka's stability and the great outdoors is finally getting relationship back on track ...don't know how you get away with a boat in the lounge room for eight years ... my sheet of ply didn't last five minutes ..!!! Cheers

Just one little questions for the experts.... (are you there Mik?)

I am using "Pacific Maple" marine ply, because my supplier did not think much of the latest shipment of Chinese Gaboon. Oregen seems to be in pretty short (and expensive) supply around here at the moment, and someone recommended Aussie Hoop Pine as an alternative for gunwales, inwales, seat supports, etc.

What is the consensus of advice? Do I go for Hoop Pine and stain it to match the Maple hull, or is there a better (but not too expensive) alternative?

regards
    Walesey

I've used Oregon for the inwhale which I ripped from an old pergola, but hoop would be fine.

I've used Surian Cedar for the gunwhale and the inwhale spacers, it's light weight, soft and a pretty Dark Red colour. More importantly it was pretty cheap (less than hoop at the time).

I don't think there are any structural issues with it, and durability once epoxy coated isn't too bad, it's stood up well on the GIS for 12 years.

On the other hand, why not stain the hoop a darker colour or even leave it natural to contrast with the Maple?

cheers,

P