Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka Canoe

Midge is spot on.

Though I don't like staining timber!

But that is only a question of taste and not a question of truth.

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

We are into week 3 of "The Eureka Project". (Sounds like a Space Mission, doesn't it!). Grandpa turned up on time yeaterday, and the boys were able to get the second sheet of ply marked and cut out (although only one section planed to shape). If the boys let me have a play on the week-end, we might get the other 4 pieces planed down, and maybe even epoxyed(???)

Grandpa can not make it out next week - (other committments! ) so we might slow down a bit, and give the next progress report in a fortnight.

I hope that will give me time to purchase the timber for the gunwales, etc. That point seems to be looming up on the horizon!

See you all then
    Walesey

Well, we had a bit of a play on the weekend. Got all the pieces planed down to size, and glued the lengths together.

Wow! that is some long battleship!! When it is finished, I think I will be able to get all 6 kids into it at once!

We did not get any epoxy on, but hope to get that done next weekend before Grandpa returns in a week and a half! He can be in charge of the stitching!

I guess I'd better get that timber for the gunwales soon!

Walesey

It seems like I have Hi-jacked this thread! Sorry if that is the case. Otherwise Where has everybody gone?

The boys and I managed to get the Epoxy on over the weekend.

Wow!. It didn't take long to say that. There was not much left of the week end by the time we had done the job, though! (with preparation, sanding, filling, and two coats on each side.

Grandpa returns this week, so I get the back seat again.

regards,
    Walesey

Oh, By the way, I am still having trouble tracking down a supply of 5.1m Hoop pine in SW Sydney (Macarthur area). Does anybody know a good supplier around here? We will need those gunwales soon!

For the Hoop Pine, try Trend Timbers at Windsor (I know that's NW, not SW, but they usually have it).

Cheers

Jeremy
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Walesey View Post
    It seems like I have Hi-jacked this thread! Sorry if that is the case. ....
    It has been a work in progress for almost 3 years now, I don't think Midge will mind....
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    It has been a work in progress for almost 3 years now, I don't think Midge will mind....
    Three years, and twenty five thousand views on this thread! (Is that some sort of forum record?)

It's actually really nice to keep it as a "class" thread, rather than one insect's rather protracted story!

Keep it up Walesey, hopefully I'll get some finishing pics in before you!

I think for anyone building a canoe, there is a real body of info here, and the more documentation of people building the same boat the better, and all the better for being in one spot!

cheers,

P

Grandpa was back yesterday. The boys have started drilling holes for the copper wire stitching

Mik and Midge. Question.

When I lay the bottom panel up against the bottom of the bilge panels, it seems that there is a gap of 1/4 inch at the join (buttstrap). It would seem to me that when the stitching is tightened up, it will bend the floor up in the middle, causing "negative" rocker. ie, the points of the bottom panel are lower than the middle join. Is this the way it should be, or do I need to shave a bit off the bottom of the bilge panels?

regards
    Walesey

Howdy Walesy,

I had a good fiddle with a Eureka a couple of weeks ago. I think that the bilge panels are not spread wide enough apart at their top edge.

In the middle of the boat that measurement should be around 711mm. It doesn't have to be super accurate but with the boat that was built at the Duck Flat School we did put an extra temporary spreader in there before the stitching was brought up tight and the bottom stayed perfectly flat through the building.

Things might be different if you use thinner ply though - some hollow is almost to be expected - BUT there is no significant difference to either appearance or performance.

We didn't need to alter any of the panels at all and the biggest gap was a two inch by around 1/8" at its widest vee at the tip of the bottom panel.

Best wishes
    MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Howdy Walesy,

I had a good fiddle with a Eureka a couple of weeks ago. I think that the bilge panels are not spread wide enough apart at their top edge.

In the middle of the boat that measurement should be around 711mm. It doesn't have to be super accurate but with the boat that was built at the Duck Flat School we did put an extra temporary spreader in there before the stitching was brought up tight and the bottom stayed perfectly flat through the building.

Things might be different if you use thinner ply though - some hollow is almost to be expected - BUT there is no significant difference to either appearance or performance.

We didn't need to alter any of the panels at all and the biggest gap was a two inch by around 1/8" at its widest vee at the tip of the bottom panel.

Best wishes
    MIK

Hi Mik ,Don't know what happened there , resubmitted your post ...mine went missing ....my chines ended up 732mm at centre ...just used the three temp. spreaders and zip ties . Did use centre line to prove butt joins prior to glue...(measure to butt and both ends ) ...Zip ties worked a treat ..slight bumps on the inside .. not a trace outside . Regards Grandpa Pete

Mik , Think I'm getting the hang of it .
    Can we use the Thread for actually using the canoe or do we have to prolong that final coat of varnish like some builders do . After your article on the balanced Lugg sail ,and exploits in PDR's , and "Beth" , as an old Lightweight Sharpie sailor , I am having evil thoughts of the Eureka under spinnaker .Fortunately Grandkids are coming down for the long weekend to reclaim "their Canoe" for some serious exploring so I might get back on an even keel . Have you put a sail on the Eureka ??? Regards Grandpa Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Pete View Post
    Mik , Think I'm getting the hang of it .
    Can we use the Thread for actually using the canoe or do we have to prolong that final coat of varnish like some builders do .
    No names mentioned of course!

I reckon since it's actually in the "Designs" forum, not building record of use is fair game! Go for it!!

P

I'm drawing up a rig to go with the drop in outriggers.

I reckon a lateen rig (allows a short mast) around the 80 sq ft mark.

Rudder off the back and it will really go.

I used the drop in outriggers on a strip canoe once - was a rocket.

Didn't need a centreboard as the outriggers provided enough lateral resistance.

Did I ever mention I was a Sharpie sailor too.

MIK

Hi Mik , Thought the Eureka had a Sharpie look about the bow ........Hi Biting Midge , Not referring to anyone in particular... ... Hi Walsey , hard to get it exact as the butt join only needs to be out a fraction . I used zip ties and while still loose used a fine saw to run along the seam where it was up tight , and so closed the gaps . All came together when tightened up as per instructions . The beauty of all the effort and hours of sanding etc. was discovering that my 7yo grand daughter was a natural with a single paddle and took to it like a duck to water . After three days of canoeing where all three grandkids reclaimed "their" canoe I have definite orders to make them proper wooden paddles to replace the aluminium /plastic ones before the school holidays.... so..o.. back to the shed ...planing ...gluing...sanding...varnishing ... spinnaker on hold for the time being Cheers Grandpa Pete
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]