Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka Canoe

Nice boat Pete!

I really must finish mine today eh! I like the red hull too...

cheers,

P

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Pete View Post
    I have just finished an Eureka that began at the Duck Flat school. It was a wonderful opportunity to learn stitch & glue with very competent people. Thanks Mik!!
    Good tip Peter,

Nice to run into you here too! Was fun at the school - eh, what!?

Helped having a great bunch of people!

Just went to the dry boat launch of the GIS built by Christopher and Paul. Not painted yet, but completely together.

MIK

Smile

What a response.
    Walesey. Yep. I would use 4 mmm for deck next time as it is not a big area and yes, its bending properties will be better.

Pete. The tape looks pretty. Put a bow on that and it can be delivered by Santa for christmas.

MIK/Emerald Pete. As EPete says, the camber is in the first 200 mm from the bulkhead then flattens out. So it still looks great. Pete. Your canoe looks fantastic. Congratulations. But a recommend (MIK) to use 4mm for the decks will allow us to all still luv you.

Now the race is on for Midge Pete and I to get ours completed. But even though Pete has been working on his since the Battle of Hastings in 1066, I still think that he is beating me. But. I can smell the end.......and the champagne is ready for the launch.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    I can smell the end.......and the champagne is ready for the launch.
    Anyone for Australia Day?? We won't have our final gloss coats, but I reckon we'll be good enough to go for a paddle.

P

Anyone for Australia Day?? We won't have our final gloss coats, but I reckon we'll be good enough to go for a paddle.
    Where are you considering launching?

Australia Day. That puts the pressure on. I think that I can do it. I have to sand, varnish and do the seats. I am up for it if you guys are interested. Launch where?

Phil

Nup. Sorry guys. Australia day is a bit too close for me. I have made the frames for my seats to hold the woven clothes line (but not glued them yet). I am stuck on getting the transverse rungs "just right". The holidays are over now. Back to work on Monday! That will slow things up a bit. I might have to rely on Grandpa to come back and give me a hand. Actually, the boys tell me that the canoe works really well WITHOUT seats!

It sounds like a bit of a "Eureka Regatta" coming up on Australia Day though. Make sure that there is a "Designated Photographer" so that we can all see the pics. I wish I could be there.

All the best

Walesey

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    A Launch where?
    My place? We launched another PDR today and had a pretty good time although we're going to need a bigger lawn if we get too many more boats!

If it all happens, we should have three PDRacers the Goat Island Skiff and two functioning Eurekas (although there won't be any varnish on mine), so that should be enough to keep us happy!

Cheers,

P

Sorry you can't make it Walsley. We could have had a squadron or fleet?
    Pete.
    I did the sanding yesterday and applied the first varnish coat to the outside hull today. It looks great and I am so pleased. Was going to do the seats during the week but then went out for a surf mid morning and pulled my back.(aaarrrggggghhhhhhhhhh) Have spent the rest of the day in bed and taking Voltarin but it looks like it is not too bad. However the question is; 'can I work on the Eureka during the week?' Not sure yet if I and the canoe will be ready and ok by the weekend. Will let you know. Your place looks like a great idea????????????? Will keep in touch.

Cheers guys.
    Phil

It's a sort of date then!

Monday, the Australia Day Holiday, we'll have a bit of a boat-in barby thing.

It's not intended as a full-on open house, but if you'd like to see a couple of near-completed Eurekas, or sail a PDRacer, or even our dear old Goat Island Skiff feel free to send a PM, and we'll make some arrangements!

cheers,

P

Its finished, its finished, its finished.,............Seats in...And all varnished.... Launch at Pete's place tomorrow and Elizabeth will be there to crack the champagne onto the bow as she says, 'My husband and I....' (That is the Queen for all you nonroyalists....) As the ships (aka canoes) glid down the slipway (grassy bank). Does any of that make sense. I think that it is something to do with my excitement at finishing my first boat so please excuse the levity.

Cheers all
    Phil

Maybe Elizabeth wont be there......

Bastard!!

At least we'll have something to launch!

Nah, our boat will go in, no seats and all!

P

Photos, photos, photos.
    I'm about to start stitching my Eureka.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Congratulations Phil,
    As my boys and I spend tomorrow trying to figure out how to get our seats level and how to get the rungs the right length, we will be thinking of you all up there at Midge's. Have a lemon squash for me, and if there is a spare sausage left on the BBQ, then post me one down!

I hope the launch goes well for you all and that it is a great day. We ALL expect LOTS of photos tomorrow night, and a couple of YouTube vids of Liz swinging the bottle of "Chamfers".

As for me? As I have said all along. I am hoping to have my Eureka finished by Christmas!!

regards
    Walesey

Walesy,

I guess by now you've figured out how to fit the seats, but if not have a look here and see if that helps.

It's a bit weird pointing you to a two (or is it three) year old post about how I fitted the seats, and remembering that I still haven't actually got them glued in yet!

Phil's canoe looks fantastic, and the things go so well I don't regret having taken a bit longer than most, it'll be worth it in the end!

I'll have a video sometime tonight just as soon as Youtube release it.

Liz couldn't make it, but we didn't miss her anyway. Hang around for a bit and I'll see where this video is!

Cheers,

P