Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka Canoe

The GIS is a big boat to have on a roof .. the Eureka will affect the dynamics of the vehicle somewhat less!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wowowowhoah.... hang on Mik, you're doing my head in...
    So a jib doesn't operate by improving the airflow over a mainsail by speeding the air and reducing pressure in the slot - it actually reduces the mainsail's performance....
    But the mainsail improves the performance of the jib by slowing the airflow and increasing the pressure in the slot - to a point beyond which it counters the loss of performance in the main...
    My head hurts!
    By the way - thanks for the advice from those above - we're loading the Eureka on the car USD, tying to bow and stern and crossing fingers.
    We built attachment points for bow & stern painters by epoxying timber blocks behind the stems and drilling though these - did anyone else do anything significantly different to this? We had friends & family advise anything from PVC pipes to blobs of thickened epoxy formed into holes by balloons...
    Hope your Christmas was great,
    Jack

Cheers Jack.

The old methods of using the wrong theory to trim the jib are still useful - not choking the slot up too much and so on. But yap ... the old accelerated airflow through that slot ... as they would say on TV

BUSTED!

Some time ago.

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Coucal View Post
    By the way - thanks for the advice from those above - we're loading the Eureka on the car USD, tying to bow and stern and crossing fingers.
    We built attachment points for bow & stern painters by epoxying timber blocks behind the stems and drilling though these - did anyone else do anything significantly different to this? We had friends & family advise anything from PVC pipes to blobs of thickened epoxy formed into holes by balloons...
    Hope your Christmas was great,
    Jack
    Here you go: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/n...tml#post747379
    Nick

Fair Winds and Following Seas
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PD Racer #276 - "Duck's Nuts" - Oz MkII with Lug rig
    Storer Eureka 155 - unnamed

Coucal,

Ropes across the middle on the racks too.

D@m ... missed him.

MIK

Default almost ready to paddle

Well, I only have one coat of varnish to go and she will be ready to paddle. The varnishing is a bit of a mess but it will have to do because I am over it, I figure as long as it is on and somewhat shiny it will do.

There have been a few things that I have mucked up along the way but it all worked out in the end. To anyone else out there thinking of building one, go for it, the build isn't difficult, just a bit time consuming.

I did have a fair bit of trouble bending the gunwhales and trying to clamp them, so in the end I screwed them on near the decks and plugged the holes later with dowels as you can see from the photo's.

If I had to do it again, I would make sure that I methodically taped up absolutely everything that didn't need epoxy on it, that epoxy is a real bugger to clean up from tight places and took me forever to try and get off. You have to be careful with that cheap packing tape too, it pulls out the grain if you leave it on too long (i was too cheap to buy the blue tape)

I used meranti ply, hoop pine for the inwhales and gunwhales and red cedar for the inwhale spacers. I weighed it before varnishing and it was 23kg, so I suspect it will be under 25kg when finished, which is still easy enough to lug around by one person.

I have made one of Micks paddles as well out of scrap, not exactly to plan but it should do for the time being.

There are plenty of places to sail up here near Brisbane so I am going to get started on a PDracer next, it looks like fun, I don't think I will be able to do it for as cheap as $350 though based on the cost of the eureka build , damn wood is so expensive.

Here are some photos of the near finished beast with all it's blemishes.

Looks pretty good man!

It would be pretty hard to get the PDR down to about 350 .. we managed to scrounge all the wood except the ply. Finger jointed pine window frames, a neighbours dead pergola.

Best wishes
    Michael

Thanks

Yeah I think $350 would be really pushing it, but we'll see how low I can do it for. I wish I hadn't thrown away my pergola when I ripped it down and all the other wood over the years, oh well if only I had known.

Over to the the PDRacer forums for me now,

bye

I should also say thanks to everyone that has contributed to this forum especially Boatmik and Bitingmidge, It can be a time consuming process documenting builds and replying to all the threads and there is no way in the world I could have built a canoe without the forum.

I hope lots more people buy your plans Boatmik, I will certainly be encouraging people to buy them and have a go themselves. Anyone that reads the wooden boat forums will be able to see that you love what you do and enjoy helping people, so you deserve all the success.

Thanks so much colburge!

But Success? I am happy to Survive!

Doing fine so far and can't complain about the amount of fun I have thanks to you lot!

MIK

I hope you get the $20 for the PDRacer plans I just bought then, not much, but might get you a 6 pack of Coopers (if they still drink it in SA)

Finally finished my stint of night shifts and ready to take the Eureka for her maiden voyage. I have strapped it to the roof and about to head over to Bribie Island, I have taken a photo of it on the roof of the roo just in case it ends up in pieces on the Bruce Highway or the bottom of Pumicestone Passage . I let you know how it goes........

Col

Have fun - and post pics of the launch!
    Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Parthfinder
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS
    Goat Island Skiff - Sacramento

Default I got wet

Here are the photos of the launch, my mate an I capsized almost immediately, all his fault, we got the hang of it though.

Col