Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 333839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka Canoe

Default New Eurekas in Hungary

Howdy Boatbuilders,
    I am happy to inform you that 5 Eureka Canoes have been launched recently in Hungary.
    All of the builders are very happy and satisfied. They all mentioned the initial instability of the boats at the first try but they all managed to handle this quickly. (2 more are under construction + 2 OZ Racers and one Quick Canoe too.)
    Cheers
    Mezix - Csaba
    Attachment 145456 Attachment 145457 Attachment 145458
    Attachment 145459 Attachment 145460

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FANTASTIC NEWS Csaba! For those who don't know Csaba has translated a number of my plans into Hungarian, which is a surprisingly (to me - until I realised the history) widespread language through several Central European Countries.

Looks like your work is starting to pay off!!!!

Is it creating much interest on your forum?

MIK

Thanks Michael,
    Yes, the Eureka 155 is very popular in my boat-building community. People enjoy reporting about their building process and problems on the forum. There are a few veteran boat-gurus who are happy to give advice at any time - so there are very educational discussions.

Moreover there is a great interest in the Quick Canoe as well (which is called SecPerc Kenu in Hungarian) - I will start selling the translated plans in a few weeks (after I launch my QC).

My friend started to build the prototype of the Hungarian Punt that you designed. When ready this plan will make our portfolio even richer. In the future some kind of touring kayak would be nice to have as well. The outrigger and drop-in rig will be also available soon.

Cheers
    Csaba

Default Intro and new project

Howdy there ya'll
    John How here from Cool, California. I have considered building a boat for years now and had even bought a few plans but the thing just never happened for one or the other reasons. Now I was about to get a lake Kayak for two people and then thought about building one of them myself when I found the Eureka. Well Eureka!!, This is more like what I had in mind for two people anyway. So I bought the plans, bought some plywood and have started drawing and cutting while awaiting the arrival of my epoxy and other parts and pieces. Anyway I will have some picks in a few weeks when I have something to show for my time. Looking forward to paddling probably next spring!!
    By the way I have certainly enjoyed looking at all the different canoes and boats being built in these pages, thanks for the helpfull hints!!
    Talk to ya'll soon John

Hi John and welcome!

Now when you say Cool, California ... do you mean there is a town called Cool?

That would be cool.

Feel free to start your own building thread on my forum pages if you want to. The good thing about it is that if you have any questions they appear in context within the building process.

But don't feel any pressure at all.

Just ... welcome
    Michael Storer

Yeah, the town of Cool, not sure the population, we're east of Sacramento in the Sierra foothills. We have one stop light, one gas station, one pizza parlor, one post office, one grocery. What else do ya need, well a lake would be nice I guess.
    I got all the plywood parts cut and shaped now, still waiting for glue to arrive. I'll start a new thread when I have something to show.

As promised here is a pic of my Eureka (my first boat building experience) on launch day in the middle fork of the American river right where it flows into Folsom lake in Northern California.
    Now on to the next one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John How View Post
    Now on to the next one!!!
    Hurry John seek help, quickly before you spiral into addiction.

Nice Eureka BTW
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

Congratulations, John! Your Eureka looks great!
    Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Parthfinder
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS
    Goat Island Skiff - Sacramento

I like the cup holders.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

A fantastic boat - and the first orange one!

Congratulations!

Michael

Default Seat height

Did anyone come up with a good workable seat height? I am now at that stage, and need to get them in before I glass the bottom.
    All help much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Chris

I think that I did mine as per the plan and I find that they are a bit low and it hurts my back to paddle after a little while, and I am 180cm or 5'10". I think if you go to high it effects the balance (I think it was discussed in making the very light eureka). You could do a mock up outside the boat, just sit on a milk crate or similar and grab a paddle, see if the height is comfortable. Too low is probable better than too high, at least you can put something on the seat later to make it higher. No doubt Mik will set you straight though.

Col

My seat tops are 170mm above the bottom panel, and I have had no problems.
    I find that with 2 on board the stability is fine - you really feel the boat firm up. Paddling solo I kneel in the middle of the canoe anyway, otherwise the bow weathercocks with the breeze - and you certainly feel yourself balancing on that narrow stern. I tend to sit the canoe on its chine when I paddle solo, too.

First time launching I remember having to 'tune in' my balance for a short while (less than a minute?), but it didn't take long to feel comfortable.

My eureka is heavier than average (no, I'm not going to say how much by...), and maybe that helps my stability a little?

I agree with Col's advice - I was tempted to go higher than 170mm (I'm 183cm tall and not very flexible) but it's easier to pack the seat with a tied-on foam cushion than lower it...

Best wishes for the seat install & glassing, Chris - post photos please!
    Jack

Default distance for the bulkheads

Hi:
    I am about to start building my Eureka. I would like to have all the wood before I start and i am planning to build the decks with thin stringers from different colored woods, so i need the estimated distance from the end of the canoe to the bulkhead position in order to make the stringers a little longer. The plans does no say the distance, they only show measurements for the bulkhead drawing to be made. So following the instruction I would only know this measurement once i position the bulhead against the hull.

Could you tell em the aprox. distance from the ends of the canoe to the bulhead position??

Thanks in advance

Tato Lazo
    Chile