Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast

Thread: Eureka Canoe

Walesey's Launch Video.

They are Storer Paddles too ... the free download ones.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrFUHYghHco"]YouTube - Eureka Canoe Launch[/ame]

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Excellent. Looks great. Jervis Bay ?

Boat looks good too.
    Obviously -very- tolerant & stable with a variety of inexperienced crew.
    BIG tick there.

cheers
    AJ

Well that is a big tick for the Eureka isn't it?

I love the bit when they put the boat in and the little girl starts squeeling, "it floats it floats!!!!!"

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

That's the builder overcome with emotion!

(actually I noticed that too ... it is quite touching!)

Michae

Default Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

I have been on school holidays for a bit over a week and I thought "arrrh! Canoe building time again. Have to get going" Well, ..... building a 250metre long pailing fence 2metres high put paid to that. Fence finished and I had quite a large gum tree in the back yard cut down. I decided to get a "controlled cut down" rather than letting the wind take it down with half the house. We only got the edge of the storm that hit Brisbane just over a month ago but that was enough for me to decide the tree had to go unfortunately. It was swaying toooooo much and too near the house for my (and my wifes) liking. The local hardwood sawmill is taking some of it (nice straight solid bits) so it is not all getting chipped or used as fireplace material. I even have some for turning on my wood lathe.
    Anyway, the canoe, the inside joins glass tape is cut to length and ready for epoxy. (maybe, just maybe, tomorrow)

I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and look forward to discussing the finer points of canoe making.
    Thanks for your input to my questions.
    Malcolm

Howdy Malcolm!

Merry Xmas to you too.

Remember that the finer points of canoe paddling is not a banned topic here either. Pointless Banter is also respected for its social function.

Best wishes
    MIK

Michael,
    Yes, it did work to plan and the inside joins of the canoe are now glass taped. Where the panels join at the ends was a challenge. Getting the epoxy and tape in there (and staying there) was interesting. I made it, but just as well there is a bulkhead and deck to cover my handywork. (The next one will be better!!!!)

Malcolm

Howdy,

It can be a bit fiddly up there .. and part of the reason for the tank was to make it easier by ignoring the aesthetics! Doing the part that will end up inside the tank as a separate process using lengths of glass tape just long enough for that area makes it a lot easier too.

Some hints here for those who follow
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatmik...7604721680117/

Davao, Philippines and Lantau Island, Hong Kong

I just bought the plans and downloaded them. My biggest problem will be finding quality wood etc in Davao, Philippines where I will build it.

I have three questions that would really appreciate some answers to.

When I designed and built a top deck for my boat (pics attached) I had a big problem sanding the glassed finish due to waxing clogging the sandpaper. Can someone please advise how to avoid it or get rid of it?

I notice that the tethering rope is passed through grommets in both sides of the bow of the Eureka. Is there any reason why a cleat should not be bolted through the top of the front deck and the supporting piece of wood under it rather than holes in the bow? Possibly the supporting wood could be bigger.

I see mention in various post regarding filling the join between panels. The only thing I can find here that sounds similar to what you use is marine epoxy. This is two equal parts mixed to form a thick paste. There are two types. One is yellow and one is grey. Both will be very visible on a varnished boat. Can anyone suggest how I can make something better or color the marine epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimegret View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm psyching myself up for my first boat build and have been drawn to the clean lines of the Eureka 15. I feel limited by space and means to having just the one boat so I'd want it to be fairly multi-purpose. One thing I would like is to use a trolling motor sometimes. My big question is has anybody cut the stern off their Eureka and fitted a transom?
    Jim

Another way would be to put two "transoms" one behind the other inside the stern of boat then cut a hole though the bottom between them for the engine to go down into the water. There are a lot of small fishing boats in Hong Kong built this way

Skywoolf - Thanks for the "transoms" idea. I have gone with a dfferent boat though, a 14' Christine (Selway Fisher) as I am a bit pushed for working space in my garage. The planks are cut and drilled for assembly just waiting for it to get warm enough to cure epoxy, its been so cold here even on the south coast.
    I may go for Boatmik's idea of an outrigger/motor support.
    Jim

Let us know how it works out. I hadn't thought about a motor of any sort on a canoe until I saw your post but it does seem like a good idea. A tiny motor would give pretty good speed on a lightweight canoe.

Hi Skywoolf,
    I'm sure Michael Storer (Boatmik and designer of the Eureka) will respond to you questions.
    My comments,
    I used Bote-Cote epoxy available from Boatcraft Pacific in Queensland, Australia (don't know of agents overseas etc) (http://boatcraft.com.au/index.html ) It is specially designed for wooden boats.
    Re the tethering rope, I was actually going to look at a cleat or something through the deck. You will need however to make sure there is a good epoxy seal where the bolts go through the deck and the cleat is attached to the deck, or it will allow water into the cavity.
    The fillet to fill is not going to be very large on 6mm ply panels joined at an angle and it will be covered by the glass tape. (I am yet to find out and my fillets are not very big).

Malcolm

Many thanks. I will see if I can order on-line for delivery to Hong Kong then pick it up from there.

I have plans for 4 boats so far. I intend to teach my nephews to build boats starting with a Puddle Duck then moving on to the Eureka and a 17ft sailboat (Janette). The only small boats normally seen around Davao Philippines are bancas that have double outriggers. These are not suitable as tenders for larger boats, cannot be put on a car top, and are very heavy. With any luck these modern boats will catch on.