Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Brazilian Rosewood

Does anyone have any experience in having shipped some Brazilian Rosewood into Australia? As i have sourced the wood.... Cut back in the 60’s, so no CITES Documentation. I have Contact AQIS and still waiting on a response, but just wondering if anyone has had any experience in this.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Brazilian rosewood

Hi d3lerium, Sorry to say mate, As some one that has a lot to do with AQIS as I export Tasmanian Timbers.
    As Brazilian Rosewood is on the CITES List it will not be allowed into Australia.
    Cheers Bob

Quote Originally Posted by d3lerium View Post
    Does anyone have any experience in having shipped some Brazilian Rosewood into Australia? As i have sourced the wood.... Cut back in the 60’s, so no CITES Documentation. I have Contact AQIS and still waiting on a response, but just wondering if anyone has had any experience in this.

Cheers

Yeah, you have no chance.without risking massive fines, confiscation, etc etc.

I managed to get some years ago, but at $1000 a fretboard, it's not going anywhere fast...

Quote Originally Posted by rhoads56 View Post
    $1000 a fretboard

G'Day Perry, Au$1,000 a fretboard, I hope there going into some special builds.
    I am surprised that you bought it when you have some beautiful timbers available for fret boards in W.A. but I suppose thats what your customer wanted, Its a laugh really that some one wants to buy timbers from Brazil & here I am exporting Tasmanian Timbers to Custom Luthiers in Brazil, but thats life everyone wants to try something different.
    regards Bob

Yeah, you have no chance.without risking massive fines, confiscation, etc etc.

I managed to get some years ago, but at $1000 a fretboard, it's not going anywhere fast...

Quote Originally Posted by woodturner777 View Post
    G'Day Perry, Au$1,000 a fretboard, I hope there going into some special builds.
    I am surprised that you bought it when you have some beautiful timbers available for fret boards in W.A. but I suppose thats what your customer wanted, Its a laugh really that some one wants to buy timbers from Brazil & here I am exporting Tasmanian Timbers to Custom Luthiers in Brazil, but thats life everyone wants to try something different.
    regards Bob
    bob, dont for one second assume I paid $1000. Thats the price if you want some, and you HAVE to have it. If something is extinct, and you have the last of it, you'd hardly discount it, right?

Ive never ever had a single request for West Aussie timber for fretboards. If people dont know about it, then people dont want it.

Spot on Perry with your comments below.
    Thats the Price you have to pay if you want some.
    My sentiments also, if I have highly figured woods that me and my friends have worked our butts of salvaging, then milled the timber and then stored it & air dried it for 10 years or more and luthiers then want to build that some special then they have to pay the price and some of the builders in this forum do buy it, and then thank me for the beautiful wood that they receive, I love wood Perry and I know my business inside out.
    If some one wants to build 6 Custom Guitars out of the same log, I can supply it, And to top it all off its legally sourced, thats more than I can say for some of the Timbers that are offered for Sale, plus I have planted thousands of Rain forest trees over the past 20 years, I don't know of any other tone Wood supplier here in Tasmania that does that
    Cheers Bob

bob, dont for one second assume I paid $1000. Thats the price if you want some, and you HAVE to have it. If something is extinct, and you have the last of it, you'd hardly discount it, right?

Ive never ever had a single request for West Aussie timber for fretboards. If people dont know about it, then people dont want it.

Exclamation

Brazilian Rosewood is strictly protected and controlled by IBAMA, the Brazilian environmental agency.

I have made enquiries here and get the same reponse everywhere. No can do.

Default Brazilian Rosewood

Here's a link for Brazilian Rosewood direct from Brazil.Those guys claim they have exclusive usage allowed by IBAMA,so if true,I don't see why importing this wood to Australia would be a problem,of course with the proper CITES papers,as they advertise.

Brazilian Rosewood Guitar Sets - CITES Certified : Hanover Marketing and Trade specializing in helping U.S. and Brazilian companies develop practical import export sales, sourcing plans and more.

I used to do some guitar making in the past and I still have Brazilian in my own stock,however I don't have a clue about when and from where it's been brought over here,thus I could not sell it outside of Canada.

Hope it helps,

Default importing braz

g'day guys - first post here.

Wondering if anyone has successfully imported braz with a pre-CITES certificate? Was it painless? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!

cheers.

Current state of affairs with CITES and Lacey Act currently being discussed here: Australian/New Zealand Luthiers Forum • View topic - CITES and the Lacey Act

(Mods...if link to "another" forum is out of line please delete post.)

In the end you've got to ask yourself "is it worth all the trouble and cost to get your hands on a piece of BR??" If the instrument its going into is going to be exported then there's a good chance you're going to end up badly burnt.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

thanks for that - i posted over there, not sure if i'm going to pursue yet but seems doable with the right documentation.