Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IanHowick View Post
    What I really want to see alongside that hiking frame is a topmast and a bowsprit so you can fly one of those big asymetric gennakers off one of thise skiffs as well.

Make sure you've got someone there to take some video!

Ian
    Hehe, maybe the S12 could handle one of those?

I have one of these to try also. Any suggestions where it should be mounted?

Attachment 220349

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Should we get the popcorn started?

I thought you were going to attempt to fashion some giant daggerboard foil thing after the Moth video.

Does it have a chest harness? (the camera)

Hehe, the thought did cross my mind about the foil, but they are actually quite complex arrangements with dynamic adjustments on both cb and rudder foils control the attitude and ride height. The crashes are also quite hard, so I've gone for something more sedate.

Seeing as I'm usually sailing solo, I'm expecting that the extra leverage should produce a considerable speed gain in 12kts of wind and up, which is where I start to struggle with the full 105 sq ft sail. The extra power may produce 25% or so more speed. Considering it's a fully detachable, non-permanent structure, that is not bad I don't think. We'll see, it's just a bit of fun. It probably won't add add much if two-up though, so I haven't made the frame with a crew in mind, or at least with both hiking on the rail!

The camera is a Swann Freestyle HD, which is basically a GoPro knock-off, but with more features for less money. It comes with lots of mounting options, and a remote control. The chest mount is a good suggestion as it has a 170 deg wide angle.

Hey Bruce,
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you rig the traveller on your GIS so that you can tension it?
    Thanks - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by warm beer View Post
    Hey Bruce,
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you rig the traveller on your GIS so that you can tension it?
    Thanks - Andy
    Hi Andy

Nothing too complex here!

Attachment 220559

Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Hi Andy

Nothing too complex here!

Attachment 220559
    What are the benefits with an adjustable traveller?

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    What are the benefits with an adjustable traveller?
    Hi Engblom

Personally, I don't think there is any reason for it to be adjustable, but others may think otherwise. I made it like this before I realised it doesn't have to be. I just keep it tight all the time, in all conditions. Keeping the traveler tight allows the block to slide to the corners. If it is loose, the block is centered.

Quote Originally Posted by woodeneye View Post
    Hi Engblom

Personally, I don't think there is any reason for it to be adjustable, but others may think otherwise. I made it like this before I realised it doesn't have to be. I just keep it tight all the time, in all conditions. Keeping the traveler tight allows the block to slide to the corners. If it is loose, the block is centered.
    Would a small slack (a couple of cm) be optimal maybe? I mean, with it tight, you have the block banging into the wood parts. I think it would get to the corner with a small slack too.. or am I wrong?

Though the other thing is that you can get more leach tension upwind (anyhow) by limiting the traveller to 10 degrees either side of the centreline measured from the mast.

Though if the new vanghaul arrangement works really well that might be changed almost to a bridle system. But probably will require even stiffer spars to achieve it.

Just a thought Bruce ... would you be interested in doing a bend test on the Laser topmast over the same span as the yard. It might be an interesting point of comparison.

MIK

Great picture Bruce. It's little details like this that don't often get publicized but are so helpful to the builder-in-progress.

If adjustability were desired, I think your set up is quite clever. The ends run forward to the helm and terminate with nice hand grips. But... if the traveler is a set-it-forget-it item, I think your set up is quite overkill (In truth, I lean towards thinking it's clever!).

My knees are going to be a visual statement (contrasting wood) so I won't be drilling through and tying off to them. My plan is to tie the traveler line right to the inwale just forward of the knee. I figure whatever slack that remains because my knot tying is not professional will be just enough to help with the block-to-wood conflict. So will the bulk of the knot itself.
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Thanks Bruce, that is helpful!

With regards to the traveller block mashing the wood, I noticed that my gunwales are getting nicked up a bit ... but not when I'm going upwind. The upper traveller block is hitting the gunwale when I'm sheeted all the way out going downwind.

To stop this, I'm going to wrap the blocks with a little tape - laser style, and add a little cushion to hold them off the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Just a thought Bruce ... would you be interested in doing a bend test on the Laser topmast over the same span as the yard. It might be an interesting point of comparison.
    MIK
    I have been meaning to do this as the Laser topmast is exactly the same length as the GIS yard.

With a bit of luck, I'll get on the water today. There is some storm activity about and the forecast is a fairly balmy 27deg and 15kts plus. Could be interesting.

Mmm....

NSW Severe Weather Warning 1 Issued 4 hours and 15 minutes ago
    IDN28500
    Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
    New South Wales

Severe Weather Warning
    for damaging winds
    for people in the Hunter, Illawarra, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern
    Tablelands, Upper Western, Lower Western and Snowy Mountains forecast districts.

Issued at 3:27 am EST on Thursday 23 August 2012.

Weather Situation
    A high pressure system is centred over the eastern Tasman sea, while a trough
    is moving into western New South Wales. A vigorous northerly airstream is being
    generated between these systems, and is expected to further increase during
    Thursday morning as a cold front enters the state's west.

Damaging winds around 60 km/h with peak gusts of 90 km/h are forecast for the
    Snowy Mountains, Hunter and Central Tablelands forecast districts during
    Thursday, and parts of the Illawarra, South Coast, Southern Tablelands, Upper
    Western and Lower Western forecast districts may also be affected.
    Thunderstorms are likely to affect a large portion of NSW today, with the
    possibility of isolated severe storms this afternoon and evening. A separate
    Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued for this eventuality as necessary.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
    - Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
    - Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
    - Keep clear of fallen power lines.
    For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
    The next warning will be issued by 11:00 am EST Thursday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
    website at Bureau of Meteorology - Home Page or call 1300 659 218 .

The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being
    broadcast regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    Though the other thing is that you can get more leach tension upwind (anyhow) by limiting the traveller to 10 degrees either side of the centreline measured from the mast.

MIK
    Hi Mik, from the mast back to the traveller position woodeneye (and I) use is 3.2 m. 10 degrees either side of the centreline is 55 cm either side of the centreline at this distance, which is almost exactly the distance centreline to gunwale at this point. So if 10 degrees boom angle when close hauled is correct, you get exactly that with the boom end directly over the gunwale/transom corner and there's no need to limit the traveller.

On the other hand others (callsign, I think), have felt that restricting the traveller movement either side of the centreline improves their pointing ability.

What think ye all? Am I right woodeneye that you have no restriction on traveler travel and when you're on the wind the traveller block is pretty close to the gunwale, you don't feel the need to bring the boom in closer than that?

Ian