Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Default Joubert Gaboon Marine Ply

It has been a long wait, but the marine ply finally arrived today from Denman Marine in Tasmania. Andrew Denman is a professional boat builder in a little town called Kettering in the south of Tasmania on the D'Entrecasteux Channel. He became disenchanted with the marine ply offerings generally available in Australia, so decided to import the highly regarded Joubert Gaboon (also known as Okoume) ply from France himself and also supply us amateurs. Check out his website to learn more about Joubert Okoume marine ply: Denman Marine - BS1088 Gaboon Marine Plywood

I too was not happy with the generally inferior quality of marine ply locally available, so I was prepared to wait for the good stuff, and it IS good stuff.

This is how it arrived:
    The six sheets of 6mm 5-ply were sandwiched between two sheets of sacrificial ply, and were wrapped in thick white plastic. Packaging was excellent and the edges and corners were well protected with special heavy duty cardboard angle packing. The whole lot was supported by a framework made of 4x2 pine and strapped up with steel strapping. 10/10 Andrew, thanks!

Click on an image to see a large version.

This is lovely stuff. I'm very happy with it.

Attachment 128893 Attachment 128894 Attachment 128895 Attachment 128896

Attachment 128897 Attachment 128898 Attachment 128899 Attachment 128900

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

My first mistake...No doubt one of many to come! A few weeks ago, cutting the Hoop Pine top frame for the transom was a disaster. I had left the jigsaw in "pendulum mode" and the blade twisted badly creating a terribly skewed cut. I had just put it away to deal with "later".

Yesterday I cut it off, planed the edge straight with my #6 and glued on a 20mm piece of Hoop, so all is well!

Never throw out wedge-shaped bits of offcut wood. Wedges come in handy quite often

Attachment 128901

The Joubert okoume is very nice. The 9mm stuff I'm using in my Sea Skiff is Joubert but the 6mm stuff in the Goat was from some other French company that I don't recall. It,, too, was very nice material.
    The "Cosmos Mariner,"My Goat Island Skiff
    http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/

Starting the Simmons Sea Skiff 18
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

Default Butt strap question

I'm about to glue the side panels together. The plans call for the but straps to be 510mm long but they have to be spaced 50mm from the sheer and chine. I presume they have to be cut smaller than 510mm long then?

Oh dear...

You POSTED in this thread!

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/g...estion-109367/

Did you read the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Oh dear...

You POSTED in this thread!

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/g...estion-109367/

Did you read the first post?

Yes, I realised just after posting that the chinelogs 45mm overlap the edge of the ply by 10mm, so the remainder is 35mm and therefore the 510mm strap length is spot on! It just threw me when I read the instructions! No probs, it's all glued up now

A dead set genius!

Using a jigsaw I cut out all the parts that were marked out. A jigsaw makes this job a lot easier but it could be done quite easily with a hand panel saw, or my favourite, the Japanese dozuki pull saw. They are simply brilliant to use, very fast, accurate and leave a fine finish. I used this saw later to cut the Paulownia framing.

Attachment 129875

The late 19th century NZ kauri table I saved from going down in my employer’s old building that was demolished, and restored has come in handy! I believe it was used as a board room table and later lived in the lunch room. Due to it’s dimensions it couldn’t be removed down the stairwell so I dismantled it and brought home in the car. Aren’t those legs lovely? Ha-ha, the table legs I mean! It can seat 10 comfortably or 12 with much less elbow room. But I’ve digressed, this is about building a Goat….
    Attachment 129876

After cutting out, the parts all had to be planed down to the marked lines. A block plane was ideal.
    Attachment 129882

The next job was to join the side panels together using a simple butt-strap join. Again, the nice flat, long table came in handy for this job. Care is needed to prevent the epoxy joint from sliding, so small panel pins are used to hold the joint. The pins are later removed when the epoxy has cured. Do you like my hi-tech clamping device while the joint cures!
    Attachment 129877

The finished butt-strap join which joins the sides.
    Attachment 129878

The flip side of the join. I’m happy with that!
    Attachment 129879

Here I’ve started to build the frame around the #4 bulkhead. No screws used. Again, if you don’t use screws, you need a method to stop the jointed parts from sliding all over the place. Just tap a small panel pin (depth about 3mm) into the ply or the framing timber. Then snip off the pin so that only 1mm protrudes. Then when the joint is made, it WILL not slip! This works very well on soft Paulownia, but with harder timbers you’ll need to tap the joint with a mallet to bed in the pins.
    Attachment 129880

I’ve completed the Paulownia framing of three bulkheads. One more, plus the transom to go! Here's bulkhead number two being glued up. I won't die wondering if I used enough clamps
    Attachment 129881

The next task after the bulkheads will be to fix the chine logs to the sides in readiness for joining the hull parts together.

That’s it, it’s beer o’ clock, so until next time... If I don’t see you through the week, I’ll see you through the winda!

Bruce, FWIW, the butt joint looks a little dry to me....I'd want to see a little more squeeze....it is hard to tell in the picture, but make sure there are not gaps in the join.

Feels good to start, doesn't it. That is how I felt.

--Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Compass Project View Post
    Bruce, FWIW, the butt joint looks a little dry to me....I'd want to see a little more squeeze....it is hard to tell in the picture, but make sure there are not gaps in the join.

Feels good to start, doesn't it. That is how I felt.

--Clint
    Yep, trying to do a bit in the evenings as well if I can, just to keep things moving along. With a 9-5 job and the hairdressing salon to run as well, stealing some time here and there is a juggle. But it is very therapeutic and enjoyable!

There actually was quite a bit of squeeze out from the strap side Clint. What I did was brush unthickened epoxy onto the strap and the thickened epoxy mix onto the bottom, so maybe that resulted in less bleed through at the join? Either that or the tape and plastic kept it clean and the joint was very tight. No gaps though

What I've noticed is that the squeeze out continues for about 1/2 an hour. It's amazing. I've been cleaning up too soon, and the next time I look, the ooze is back again, so I'm going to try and leave it a while longer.

Good job...as long as there are no gaps! I have some gaps on my bottom panel I have to fill...the danger is not having them, it is forgetting to fill them later.

Yes, epoxy takes awhile to move out of a tight join like the butt strap joint.

Clint

Default Bulkheads complete

Today I collected my car’s fuel supply for the week. A local restaurant in Newcastle, Zinc, supply me with enough used cottonseed oil for about a week. Thanks guys! If you’re a local, check them out in Darby Street, you won’t be disappointed with the great food these guys turn out.

Attachment 130067 Here is my fuel filtering station. It’s a simple setup (I like simple!) that has worked for me for the past 5 years or so. Basically, the cold, used cottonseed oil is tipped into these plastic drums in which are suspended 5micron food grade filtering bags. I have liners in them which are changed out every few weeks. What you see coming out the taps goes straight into my car’s fuel tank. The car is a 1993 Mercedes 300D, a 3 litre naturally aspirated 6cyl diesel, and this particular one has been served this fuel diet for 2.5 years so far.

This car is perhaps the greenest car in NSW, or maybe Australia?? The other cool feature I’ve installed of the car is its 2micron engine oil filter in addition to the standard oil 45micron oil filter. This 2 micron filter constantly cleans up the oil, removing the need for oil changes, and so further reducing it’s impact on our environment.

Well, that’s a little bit of a diversion to let you know something of my other passion!

Back to the Goat….

Attachment 130068 Here I am sanding the cut-out of bulkhead #2 with a handy little drum sander attached to my cordless drill. These are cool little tools and so handy for this type of job!

Attachment 130070Here the holes in bulkhead #3 are being cut out. The jigsaw is a Triton, an Australian brand that recently fell on hard times and actually folded. Happily they have now made a comeback, so we can continue to enjoy using the fine tools they make. I was lucky that Santa put this in my sack last Christmas by my loving wife A cool feature of this particular saw is its scrolling control. My right hand is guiding the saw, and my left hand is controlling the scrolling knob which controls blade direction. With this precise control you can cut circles without changing the direction of the saw. The advantage of this is that the foot of the saw can be filly supported on solid material at all times.

Attachment 130073All 4 bulkheads are now complete, together with side arms for #2 and #4 which don’t get attached until after the hull has been assembled. This is BH3.

I’m going to miss the old table when it has to make way for the Goat. It has been really useful as a nice big workstation.

I’m hoping to go 3D in the next couple of weeks, after I have coated the parts with epoxy, so check back soon.

Thanks for coming along! See you next time

"Here I am sanding the cut-out of bulkhead #2 with a handy little drum sander attached to my cordless drill. These are cool little tools and so handy for this type of job!"

Funny how tips like this seem to come at just the moment you need them. Drum sander for the cutouts! Of course, why didn´t I think of that?

Love your cooking-oil driven Mercedes. Brazil is making a big noise about biodiesel at the moment but nothing so practical or sensible as what you do.

Best

Steve

I'm glad I'm not the only one wearing a headlamp!

Drum sander. Great idea. 5 months too late.

Default great minds

I just bought a set of the small drum sanders for shaping the ends of the inwale spaces. Now, I can use it for something else! Thanks