Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Birthday Present

I had a lot of scraps laying around and decided to build a birthday gift for my wife. Elm and walnut with tung oil finish. I'm going to add a chain to limit the lid's opening angle so the rear lip won't contact the back of the box and put too much pressure on the hinges.

Steve

p.s., I just popped over from the J-tools forum. As you can tell, an oriental influence with this box.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1255459387
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1255459430
    Last edited by Sheets; 14th October 2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: add pics!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Great job ..... love the shape and the corner details.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Excellent and beautiful contrasting timbers that really compliment each other. Love the design and hope you don't mind if I copy some aspects of the box into one of my own in future. You have done a very nice job on this box. Well done.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Hi and thanks,

Copy away - I used elements and inspiration from many others. The design also developed (in this case) by what I had available.
    The inside dimensions are: 13" x 8.5" x 1.75" (my wife will use the box to hold writing paper and pens - who uses them anymore?).

Steve

Quite nice.

How did you attach the breadboard ends on the lid? I could not see any holes for pins.

How did you attach the breadboard ends on the lid? I could not see any holes for pins.
    I used dowels (cut from bamboo skewers as it was small enough and handy) and then glue. I'm waiting to see if seasonal movement will present a problem due to the grain alignment. The other method would have been to glue the breadboard ends to the box and have the lid open independently between. That might have messed up the smooth lines of the top though. The elm top is fairly large and wide - only 10 mm thick, so it will tend to curve with moisture. So having the ends glued to the lid will help resist that.
    You can't see it from the pictures, but the walnut feet/corners are actually 1 mm higher than the sides/front/back so the lid rests with a 1 mm space to allow air to reach inside the box and help equalize the moisture inside/outside and (I hope) minimize the movement of the lid.

Steve

Love the design on this one and the combination of woods. The walnut is so rich.
    Splendid job! Bet the missus is pleased!

Nice piece of work Steve. I reckon you've thought it out pretty well to manage any tendency to movement of the elm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheets View Post
    I'm going to add a chain to limit the lid's opening angle so the rear lip won't contact the back of the box and put too much pressure on the hinges.
    Have you thought about using small plaited leather straps. IMHO they look pretty good.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm pleased with the result, but always nice to know it fits somewhat into what others like as well.

I hadn't thought of leather straps Alex, but sounds like a good idea. My wife knows the concern with the lid, so is careful (as there is nothing to limit it yet), but there may be others down the road who won't realize, so I will have to address this eventually.

Steve

Thumbs up

Love it!!