Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Importing knives from the US

With the Aussie dollar up so high now, buying direct from the US is looking very attractive.

Has anyone purchased carving knives from overseas and had them sent over? I'm wondering if there's any import restrictions customs may make on getting these in? I'm talking about personal purchases under the $1000 limit here.

Anyone know?

Thanks. Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Australia does not seem to restrict the import of knives, but I cannot speak to the customs aspect. See below:

Country Conditions for Mailing — Australia

Prohibitions (130)

Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; platinum, gold, and silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles are prohibited.
    Fruit cartons (used or new).
    Goods bearing the name “Anzac.”
    Goods produced wholly or partly in prisons or by convict labor.
    Perishable infectious biological substances.
    Radioactive materials.
    Registered philatelic articles with fictitious addresses.
    Seditious literature.
    Silencers for firearms.
    Used bedding.
    Restrictions
    Meat and other animal products; powdered or concentrated milk; and other dairy products requires permission to import from the Australian quarantine authorities.
    Permission of the Australian Director-General of Health is required to import medicines.
    Observations
    Duty may be levied on catalogs, price lists, circulars, and all advertising introduced into Australia through the mail, regardless of the class of mail used.

Customs Forms Required (123)
    First-Class Mail International items and Priority Mail International flat-rate envelopes and small flat-rate boxes:
    PS Form 2976 (see 123.61)
    Priority Mail International parcels:
    PS Form 2976-A inside 2976-E (envelope)
    Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Looks like I'll have to cancel all those orders for "used bedding" that I've placed though

Russell.

G'day Russell

I have purchased carving knives and gouges from different outlets in the US recently
    (less than $500 purchases). The service I received from the US was excellent. The dearest part was postage, but the tools were much cheaper than I would have paid here even with those costs added. No dramas with Customs.

Good luck

Grant

I import the knives I use and sell from a guy in Canada, but I think he gets them from the US. I like dealing with him cause he deals in Canadian dollars which usually have a better exchange rate than the US

If you're going to buy over seas anyway, give him a go. You already have his contact details... Rick Wiebe.

I just got a Carving Jack from Rockler, arrived in 5 days at less than half the price (inc postage) of what a local retailer wanted. I normally try to buy Australian from Australian suppliers but in this case it was compelling.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

OK great info guys, thanks.

Sebastiaan, did you get it on the $79 special? I'm bummed I missed that, as it looks like a nice little unit that would fulfil my requirement of carving-on-the-go. There is one place that has it for $99, but no reply to my shipping quote request yet.

Of course I should be buying any tools just yet, and should be practicing with what I've got, but I always seem to do things in reverse

Russell.

Russell,

It was the $79, great bargain. I know that about getting it done. I spent half the weekend modelling a relief and ended up deciding I didnt like it. Saved some timber I suppose.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com