Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Good Random Orbital Sander

My ROS just died and tried to kill me in the process. It was a Triton that fitted to a grinder. When it disintegrated it hit me in the chest leaving some not too nice marks and winded me. So I'm on the hunt for a replacement. It don't have to be attached to a grinder but I'm after good value for the bucks. Any ideas guys.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sounds very painful.... The most popular quality ones out there at the moment are the Metabo Duo, AEG Duo & the Festool ets150. All are backed with a 3year warranty, bothe the AEG & Metabo come with two orbit settings coarse & fine were with the festool you have 2 to pick from,ets150/3 a 3mm orbit model, ets150/5 a 5mm orbit model.

All machines are great & should NOT disintergrated!!!
    Cheers,Team VEK TOOLS
    Smithfield | Narellan | McGraths Hill | Prestons
    www.vektools.com.au

Thanks VEK, I'll go shopping after I've had a look at the models you suggested and yes it was painful and still is today.

SB

Festool 150/3 is by far the best quality value for money ROS on the market. Superb sander.

I have the Makita ROS B6040 with the switch to change from coarse to fine sanding, I have had this machine for around twelve years, it has never missed a beat, and produces an excellent finish.
    I abhor sanding and usually only resort to sanding when the plane and or scraper, will not give me the finish I am looking for, so in most cases I am only using the finer abrasives & dust collection is a priority, and aided by a vacuum it does an excellent job of this.

I would suggest looking at machines within your budget, as this is always an issue, and try to get something that is going to give you the quality of finish, reliability, and good dust extraction, The later is a real health issue, but also affects quality of finish and the life of the abrasive sheets, which will affect the real long term cost of sanding.

As my machine has lasted as long as it has and looks like it will continue to do so, I am not in the market nor have I done comparisons. I would firstly read reviews on line, then look at a selection of those machines recommended and within my budget.

Have fun & good luck.

Metabo Duo gets my vote.
    Visit my website at www.myFineWoodWork.com

second vote for festool.

festool ets 150/3. the best sander on the planet. competition does'nt even come close!

regards, justin.

Purchased the Metabo Duo, when the $900 stimulus package thingy came out, love it! Very easy to use, and gentle on the sanding disks. I have found the dust catcher cartridge system that comes with it to not be that flash. When I first got it I thought for bigger jobs I would hook it up to my shop vac, but for smaller jobs thought would try the cartridge. However it fills quite quickly and then the pad tends to block/fill up with dust. Now only use it with the shop vac no matter how big/small the job.

The Festool was too pricey for "my skills", if that makes any sense.

Ron
    "Rotten to the Core"

At the other end of the spectrum, Aldi are selling a Taurus brand one for $49.95 this week. I've got the GMC branded/coloured version. I bought it brand new at a closing down sale for $25 and it works ok.

Thumbs up

I bought a Bosch Pex whatever and a month or so out of warranty it threw the pad. Bloody useless set-up that holds it on - basically reverse gravity.

Glued nut in place with Loctite. Finished the job, started on a new job and same problem. I have lost faith in Bosch!!

Well after much searching I settled on the Makita B05021 and gave it a go tonight. I'm happy with it. I don't use one often so I didn't need to pay big bucks for the Festool. In the ideal world we all would have festool. The Makita is light and a nice size for getting into those smaller spots. The guy at Trade Tools Direct said Metabo are in the #### at present and look like going under.

SB

Chanting "Metabo, Metabo, Metabo Duo!"

[Realises he's agreeing with Wongo yet again and withdraws into shock...]
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I got the ozito when my bosch died, dont come near me when Im sanding, lift the thing up and the pad turns into a frisby. Should have known better.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rrobor View Post
    I got the ozito when my bosch died, dont come near me when Im sanding, lift the thing up and the pad turns into a frisby. Should have known better.
    Obviously a Bosch in disguise!!

The Festool 150/3 is only around $160 more than the Metabo. The Metabo is a ripper, but that class sander and above I would rather spend the little extra and get the superb 150/3

Also correct me if im wrong, but isnt Metabo now made in China

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast