Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Netsuke carving

Question Netsuke carving

Good afternoon fellow carvers, I am interested in carving some netsuke with an Australian theme, can anyone give me a starting point books, magazine etc.. I can read, maybe from my local library?
    I have been carving for a few years and would like a change.
    I hope someone can help.
    with thanks
    Bob
    Gosford Bob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Bob. I have looked for books myself without success, but know that there are a few around. The last time I saw one at the local library it was more than ten years ago, when I had no time at all for carving. For an Australiana theme I would imagine that rather spherical shaped small animals, like koalas, rolled up echidnas and platypuses, wombats etc. would make good netsukes. Good luck.

I saw a segment on Netsuke carving on 'Collectors' on the ABC last night. I've been wondering what to do with all the little block 'off cuts' I've been reluctant to throw out because... "You just never know....".

So last night I started on something simple to get me in the swing of things... a Teddy Bear. I know its not Australiana but it will do for a start... practice purposes. If it works out I might make a few of them in the lead up to Christmas as Chrissie tree decos. At the very least, I've found a use for all those little block off cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by gosfordbob View Post
    I am interested in carving some netsuke with an Australian theme, can anyone give me a starting point
    Bob
    my first starting point for Australian themed netsuke would be the works of Susan Wraight and Silvio Apponyi arguably a couple of the finest netsuke carvers in the world and they're Aussies. (and thoroughly likable folk)

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by underfoot View Post
    my first starting point for Australian themed netsuke would be the works of Susan Wraight and Silvio Apponyi arguably a couple of the finest netsuke carvers in the world and they're Aussies. (and thoroughly likable folk)
    She was the one on Collectors on Friday night. I'm usually underwhelmed by Australiana things but her's were so original and whimsical. She is even collected by the emporor of Japan and his wife. Kinda like coals to Newcastle.

anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Wow that's amazing. I'd heard of netsuke before, but didn't really know what it was. Now that I do, I like it!

There's a book on Amazon - "The Art of Netsuke Carving" - $125

Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

What I do not like with most modern so called "netsuke" is that they are in fact miniature sculptures, they are not functional any more. The pedant in me is never too far from the surface...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    What I do not like with most modern so called "netsuke" is that they are in fact miniature sculptures, they are not functional any more. The pedant in me is never too far from the surface...
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

They said on Collectors that she carved Tagua nut, which is apparently "vegetable Ivory" from South America. Anyone know where to get some?
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Try a forum called "http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/"
    If you prowl through that site there is heaps and heaps of information.
    I do not do Netsuke but am a member of the forum just for the interesting reading.

Regards
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

They said on Collectors that she carved Tagua nut, which is apparently "vegetable Ivory" from South America. Anyone know where to get some?
    You used to be able to get them fairly easily at places like Carbatec, although they were expensive. But that was 10 years ago last I looked, not sure now.

Russell.
    Pen Affair Craft Supplies - Cheapest Pearl Ex & Pemo Polymer Clay in Australia
    http://craftsupplies.penaffair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    When you say they are no longer functional what was their original function that has now been rendered functionless.

Iggy, here's the info :
    Sterling Sculptures
    It's a slow and painful process...the secret is, dont mind the pain.(Ian Norbury)

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    When you say they are no longer functional what was their original function that has now been rendered functionless.
    they were originally a carved toggle type thing to hold a sash or belt
    to make them functional again you just drill a big hole through them

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Well we dont wear the clothing that necessitates having a pouch off a belt. The Netsuke was used to ensure the draw string for the bag (called the Inro) didnt fall open. Tom Sterling has an excellent free e-book here Sterling Sculptures The Carving Path Forum is excellent and the quality of the work is outstanding.

Ive also had trouble with getting Tagua nuts here is Aus. Trend Timber had some but they are out of stock. They can be imported and I have got documentation from AQIS to allow this importation. Maybe a group buy is in order. There are issues with the vendors and getting someone reliable in South America who isnt going to rip off the gringos. I have seen them on EBay, they are expensive but maybe that is an option as well.

Boxwood is a traditional timber but I have been told that Cottoneaster is a good substitute. I have some drying so i will know in a year or two.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan56 View Post

Ive also had trouble with getting Tagua nuts here is Aus. Trend Timber had some but they are out of stock. They can be imported and I have got documentation from AQIS to allow this importation. Maybe a group buy is in order. There are issues with the vendors and getting someone reliable in South America who isnt going to rip off the gringos. I have seen them on EBay, they are expensive but maybe that is an option as well.

Boxwood is a traditional timber but I have been told that Cottoneaster is a good substitute. I have some drying so i will know in a year or two.
    Don't we have a member over there at the moment. :shout: ARTME! WE NEED YOU!

The is a bit of cottoneastor kicking round at The Knox Woodworkers, only its written funny on the end of the wood cos its so small.
    coton
    eastor.

I keep wondering what it is.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast