Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Brass connector bolts

I have been searching for solid brass connector bolts and nuts.
    So far all I find are electro plated ones and they tend to look like that, plated.

Does anyone know where to find solid brass ones?

I have an initial need for about 28 bolts, with a bolt length of 40mm and 8 bolts with a length about 80mm as well as 28 nuts.

There is a possibility of a further 100 bolt and nut sets, bolts 40mm and a further 32 bolts 80mm.

Suggestions on here to find these?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think you are on your own there.

Anything softer than steel will strip out if there is much stress on the connector bolt - I built a large table for friends & the tiny cleaning lady likes to drag the table across the floor by the ends when she is cleaning - all the connector bolts have stripped the barrel nuts, which may have been Zamac rather than steel like the bolts.

If you really have to have solid brass bolts you will have to get an 'engineering' shop to turn them up - preferably on a CNC lathe.

You could try a few local electroplating shops instead - take them some sample connector bolts & barrel nuts, ask them to strip & re-plate them to a brass finish, then decide if the results are satisfactory. A lot of electroplaters can do gold, copper, silver etc as well as chrome - a good brass is actually the least common electroplate finish.

What exactly is a connector bolt? I could probably make them if you were willing to pay a decent amount

Lee Valley call them 'Large Head Bolts', which makes them hard to find in the index. Also known as 'Demon Bolts' in at least one hardware store I know.

1/4-20 Quick-Connect Hardware - Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware Supplies

You probably would be better off getting them in steel

Try this link I have been looking for brass screws my self https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/al...screws-102938/

The aussie agent had a few screws I was after I have not looked for are bolts. Might be easier to use stainless steel if you require strenght.

Cheers Jerryj

The actual load is minimal so the stripping problem is not an issue.

I can possibly get hold of some heavy solid brass connector nuts. These have a 1/4W thread vs the M6 metric one. I was just trying to avoid cutting lots of little 40mm thread rods pieces.

funkychicken:
    On furniture steel will look SH so that is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryj View Post
    Try this link I have been looking for brass screws my self https://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/al...screws-102938/

The aussie agent had a few screws I was after I have not looked for are bolts. Might be easier to use stainless steel if you require strenght.

Cheers Jerryj
    If I go the brass connector nuts I will use stainless steel rod anyway.
    there is one place in USA that sells these but only 2" in length but I am not sure about the thread they use.
    They only sell then as carded, 4 per card so that gets expensive for bulk purchases.

the USA one is:
    Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com

Quote Originally Posted by cultana View Post
    If I go the brass connector nuts I will use stainless steel rod anyway.
    there is one place in USA that sells these but only 2" in length but I am not sure about the thread they use.
    They only sell then as carded, 4 per card so that gets expensive for bulk purchases.

the USA one is:
    Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com
    If you are considering using brass nuts with Stainless Steel then I must warn you this is a definete not advisable, Brass and Stainless Steel being dissimilar metals do not go together and will lead to corrosion that is unless the brass is plated ie chrome plated . You would be better off to use threaded brass rod or just plain zinc plated threaded steel rod.
    Cheers
    Mac