Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Not quite in the same vein but similar, a few years back a fella I know brought around a near new looking Stihl 009 that he couldn't start. I said how many times have you used this and he said about a dozen times - I reckon it was maybe once or twice. I emptied out the old mix which had become very sticky and the plug was caked in black gunk. I cleaned the plug, put some fresh raw petrol in the tank and swished it around a few times, threw that out and filled it with fresh mix and it started after about 6 pulls. He looked at me a said. How would you like to keep the saw and I come and get it just when I need it - not long after that he bought a gas heater and he has never needed the saw.
    I used an 010 (arborist top handle saw like the 009) pruning pines for a while and even though It ran all day I found that it had a bit of a tendency to gum up and clog the exhaust etc. Beauty was I could fully strip it and rebuild it in about half an hour on the mudguard of the trailer aside from that it was a good saw, Unless the can of fuel had had a chance to draw in moisture from the air. I actually think this is what contributed to it gunking up.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Edwards View Post
    I used an 010 (arborist top handle saw like the 009) pruning pines for a while and even though It ran all day I found that it had a bit of a tendency to gum up and clog the exhaust etc. Beauty was I could fully strip it and rebuild it in about half an hour on the mudguard of the trailer aside from that it was a good saw, Unless the can of fuel had had a chance to draw in moisture from the air. I actually think this is what contributed to it gunking up.
    I gave the 009 away, but I have all the bits of an 010AV under the house somewhere. The owner is a guy from work who said "I have a non-running chainsaw if you want it" When I opened it up I noticed the reed valve was missing and based on the bits of minced metal that I washed out of the crankcase it must have have fallen off into the crankcase while it was running. I stripped it down and cleaned out the crankcase but couldn't get a replacement valve for it, but the local stihl dealer gave me a reed from another saw. It started and ran fine but then it developed an air leak around the base gasket. I pulled it apart and made a new gasket for it but haven't got around to it putting back together.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I gave the 009 away, but I have all the bits of an 010AV under the house somewhere. The owner is a guy from work who said "I have a non-running chainsaw if you want it" When I opened it up I noticed the reed valve was missing and based on the bits of minced metal that I washed out of the crankcase it must have have fallen off into the crankcase while it was running. I stripped it down and cleaned out the crankcase but couldn't get a replacement valve for it, but the local stihl dealer gave me a reed from another saw. It started and ran fine but then it developed an air leak around the base gasket. I pulled it apart and made a new gasket for it but haven't got around to it putting back together.
    for what it is worth they are a good little saw, They will work all day, and for limbing and such they are great. You could just about have one hanging from your belt while you are doing other things with the bigger saw and fire it up when you want to trim limbs off...lol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234