Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default consumables storage idea

I thought i might share my storage idea with you guys the plastic containers are the bottom of coke bottles
    Ive been using them for about three years and i love them, if you drop them they dont break you can see what you want inside and there neat and tidy and if your lucky you will have a mate who is a coke addict and you dont have to buy all those bottles of coke just for the empties

Cheers Ian
    Last edited by Ian007; 31st August 2006 at 04:07 PM.
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ian,
    Thanks for sharing this. I am in the process of working out how I am going to store my consumables. At the moment I have too much glass in the workshop. I have been out pricing plastic containers, and checking on what food is being provided in small, clear, plastic bottles. So far have found some brands of honey and peanut butter. Not sure we can eat that fast. Any other suggestions?

Bob

these coke bottles are 1.25lt bottles but you can use anything.
    I use those because there is a line to cut on for that uniform look.
    what if you tried your local recycling centre you might pick up a lot of plastic bottles for not that many $$$. you dont want to get them crushed though they would look a bit sad if they where.Worth a try.

I also have a sorting board that i tip my stuff onto and find what i want then tip it up and the stuff on the board is directed straight back into the container saves me heaps of time.

Cheers Ian

good one Ian. keeping the shelves a close fit stops the need for a lid to keep the dust out and I tip out onto a tray too, rather than poke around.
    Bob, Peanut Paste comes in variety of sizes with matching lids, ask aruond friends & family with kids to save them.
    I use a lot of them in plastic coated spice racks I salvaged from my sisters renovation. Every door in her kitchen had a couple so Ive got heaps lined up along the wall and wide enough to take the large peanut jars.

G'day.

I've seen the same thing done with plastic milk bottles...
    problem is that light (UV) & heat eventually get at the plastic &
    it starts to become brittle.

I just chuck my on the work bench & when it's full,
    build another workbench
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I use the plastic jars from Peanut Butter and Honey - It is surprising how quickly you can accumulate them. Certainly much better than glass which I have completely eliminated as containers now.

The flat plastic containers from Chinese Take-away are also very handy - use a texta to mark the contents on the ends.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    problem is that light (UV) & heat eventually get at the plastic &
    it starts to become brittle.
    Must be doing the same thing to all the plastic on are power tools and hand tools as well then :eek: . or is your shed a glass house??

Must admit this is not a problem that i have seen and a mate has them in his shed as well, but that may happen on a take away container,or plastics of lesser quality. I think you will find that coke bottles have UV stabaliser in there plastics which will stop them from breaking down as fast (100+years), thats why we should recycle them.

Cheers Ian

Cash'n'carry joints that cater for the foodie trade have plastic containers by the million. Cheap as, too.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Looks neat but they are going to fill up with wood dust

Ross
    Ross
    "All government in essence," says Emerson, "is tyranny." It matters not whether it is government by divine right or majority rule. In every instance its aim is the absolute subordination of the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Different
    Looks neat but they are going to fill up with wood dust

Ross
    Not if i use my dust extractor

Please!!!!! :mad: :mad:
    this is a wood working area if you dont want any dust then just give up working with wood :mad:

Ian

I used to use old (plastic!) peanut butter jars - screwed the tops to the underside of a shelf. For several years this worked well but gradually the number of jars began to dominate and then they were lying on the work surface, cluttering up the place, getting in tyhe way....

So I bit the bullett and bought a few of those screw/small item cabinets from Bunnings, the ones with 20 trays in each. These take up very little room in the workshop and hold quite a bit (more than one expects). The downside is the cost (about $30 each, and I have about 4 in all so far).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I bet if they put beer in plastic bottles therewouldn't be a problem.
    Ernie

Plastic Jars

SPC and Golbourn Valley have there friut coming out in plastic with screw lids and differnt sizes.
    we go through more friut in our house than peanut butter.
    Make sure you buy Australian made where you can.

Hagrid

At one time Ideal electrical supplied all their screws in squarescrew top plastic bottles (like those that honey come in).

I found then soo good I traced the supply.

They can be found at COSPAC probably in all states in brisbane they are at coopers plains & happy to sell to you as long as you buy a box.

I now have hundreds of the little suckers, I recently built a wall to house them. they fit nicely into the width of a 70mm pine stud.

A mate of mine asked me about them & I told him the source, he later told me that he spent over $300 on three sizes of bottles from 250mL to 2L.

They are great round the workshop & good to take on the road.
    Like the coke bottles they are PET which is pretty stable & resists most solvents in the short term. in the long term thinners sends them brittle.

check out any of the jar & bottle suppliers.

just don't get carried away.

To buck the trend a bit (and appear old fashioned) I still use glass jars for my bits and bobs. They do break occasionally but not that often really

Most if not all of my jars are the Dolmio spaghetti sauce type with the large top. Dolmio fairly recently changed to a new jar though which has a much narrower top.

A retrogressive step in my opinion and we don't eat so much Domlio now

Cheers

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast