Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Design help NEEDED!

I hope that I can give you a good idea of this project. Actually, it's only one aspect that I am scratching my dome about...
    It is a 10' bar. Picture the front...three frames with panels, each with a "post" between them . That is, four posts (square), one on each end and two dividing the panels...whew.
    Each frame is 5 1/2" stiles, with 7" on the bottom rail, 8" on the top. I left the top taller to compensate visually for the 8" overhang of the stone top. There will be brackets on each post to help support the top. NOW, the problem:
    The bottom (and top) rails need mouldings. How tall should these mouldings be? to review...I have a 7" rail until the panel starts...then the panel is 26", then an 8" rail to the top.
    I was going to do a 5" base moulding, with a 3" on top of that ( a double to give it some feeling of weight on the bottom). The top, the same.
    It's the ratio of 7" rail : 1st moulding : 2nd moulding.
    I have been looking at the golden mean stuff...but being a math moron...it's all useless. HELP.
    PS> any ideas on a profile on the base mouldnigs...it is a strict Mission piece.
    I will take pics of the rough unit if needed.
    Last edited by AlanS; 16th August 2004 at 05:24 AM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

would love to help - feel a rough sketch would really assist - Mission style would lend itself to very simple..... what timber are you using?
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Default Here ya go

This is the best I could do with a pic. The software won't allow a nice full pic, so I took one panel, with posts on either side. White quarter-sawn oak.
    the stiles are 5.5", the top rail 8", the bottom rail 7". There is a filler that is missing on the bottom, adding 2". The cost of wood is so high, that I add the filler to make up the two inches...It will be covered by moulding.
    What I thought I would do is to take the 7" bottom stile, put a 4.5" band on that, and then a 4" band on that. This way there is 2.5" reveal of the stile, 1.5" reveal of the first band, then the 3" band right to the floor. I thought I would champher the top of each band. The inside of the frame is champhered.
    I took the 7", divided it in 3, then the 4.5, divided that in 3...Don't know why, just did. Anyway...thoughts?

When you say a filler strip I assume that you mean a strip of timber attached to the front of the railing so that you have a raised area on the lengths of the 7" and the 8" strips?

To apply the golden rule to these rails, you would need to take the widths of the rails and multiply them bt 0.618.
    So, the 8" rail would have a strip of timber 4.944 inches wide on the front of it and the 7" would have a strip of 4.3" wide.
    If you were to further build these up and still wanted to use the golden rule then the 4.944 strip would have a strip of 3.05" width on it and the 4.3" strip would have a strip of 2.67" width.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Bob,,,that is just what I was looking for...EXCELLENT. I will cut some mock ups to get a feel for the sizing. Any thoughts on the profile on the top edge of these "bands"? Same profile for each band: assuming two bands on the bottom.

mmm 1/4 sawn White Oak! We don't get it a lot here as it is uniquely American...... I think your idea will work though may be a bit busy (NO OFFENCE)...... have to say your stopped champhers are lovely, as is the stain you have used ..... really looks the part!
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

On the edges of the strips I would tend to use a bevel of the same size as you have already used on the insides of the panels. Possibly even a bit smaller. Try a few different sizes. Start small and get bigger. You can always make the small ones bigger, but it's a bit trés-bloody-dificil to do it the other way round
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

I must say that I am dee-lighted I bumped into this site. This helps tremendously. I am always working alone...the clients are rarely helpful, and you really don't want to reveal that you are stumped. Thanks all. I will post a pic of the final piece. Alan