I was scratching around under the house the other day (as you do :rolleyes: ) when I noticed the drain from the bathtub wasn't actually connected to anything! What has happened is that the steel riser (prob original, 40 years old) dropping down from the bath drain had rusted at the thread where it joins on to the PVC trap, so the threads had disintegrated leaving a 2 inch gap between the bottom of the riser and the top of the trap.

Getting the steel riser out looks like it could be a bit of a PIA as there's no longer any thread to grip to, so a matter of cutting the corrugated iron form work away and trying to get the Stillsons to grip. However when it comes to replacing I wonder what alternatives I have? I've never worked with steel pipe, copper and PVC only (gotta love PVC), the original looks like it was probably about 12" long or so and about 2" diameter (not certain until I get it out).

With the plumbing supplies places closed over the weekend I thought I'd throw the questions out to you plumbing experts in the meanwhile, so come Monday I should at least know what replacement to get. Do the steel pipes come in pre-threaded standard lengths? Are they still available? Should I replace with something else?

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...