Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: Cool stuff

That's not cool. That's cold!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It went down to 30 degrees for about 2 hours last night, which to me is about the same as your -30. Fortunately, it'll be in the 60's tomorrow and progressively up to the low 80's this weekend. To me snow is only appropate on three occasions - Christmas morning, with the kids playing, making angles and snowmen - on quaint winter scene postcards - and continuously following around my ex-wife's car, because she can't drive in it. Other then this, I have no use for it. I don't want to have to work in it, I don't want to shovel it, I don't want to drive behind someone that doesn't know how to drive in it and snow ball fights are way over rated.

Your a stitch Par. We had about two hours above freezing the month of December and a few hours above 0 F the month of January. That is why I am in South Carolina for the month of January. We should hit the 70's F for the week end. I promised not to call them at work unless it was above 70 F and the sun was shining. That's when they started to throw rocks at me.

I have a friend that's purchased a vacation home in NC, that I've been working on for a few years and they set a new record low temperature last night, at -1 degree. I hope you're in a warmer section of NC. I like to call my family on Valentines Days and complain about having to put a sweat shirt on, so I can get the stakes off the BBQ. Don't get me wrong, I like the seasons too - leaves changing - spring flowers, etc., which is why I moved to a place where we only have the good ones, so I can watch videos of the ones that suck on the evening news.

Default Cool ratchet

Well, this one isn't all that remarkable and probably not even cool. It depends on how you look at it.

I had a saved search on evilBay for Elvstrom stuff as I collect some Elvstrom related books and things. This popped up so I bid GBP10.00 and won it. I figured it can go into my spares box. Anyway, it's unused, however it didn't come in a package. It is not an automatic one, but has a circular on off switch as you can see in the pic. It's obviously pretty rare as there are no pics nor any info or any reference to it on the interwebz save for the pic on evilBay. It may very well have been a prototype. There is no part number and the only marking on it is the "Elvstrom Denmark" logo. Looks like it is made from nylon, but could be torlon. The action feels very positive and has a quality feel to it, but it's quite noisy, right up there with the noisiest ratchet blocks that I've heard, so my guess is that the mechanism is stainless steel.

Let me know if you've seen one before.

ElvstromRatchet.jpegElvstromRatchet2.jpegElvstromRatchet3.jpeg

Looks cool to me. Can I have it for my goat?

I've extracted this from a pdf RC newsletter.

This remarkable model of an 18 foot Skiff was built by Dennis Kenna. It is a faithful reproduction of an 18 footer that Dennis sailed in the 1970's - He had this to say about the project:

I sailed an 18 footer on Sydney Harbour for 5 years back in the mid to late 70's, I have always wanted to build a model with a crew and having had the plans of our last skiff, I decided to give it a go. The hull took me around 4 months to build, and then the painting and fitting out had to be done, and the sails made, so the whole project took around 15 months to complete.

• The hull is a metre long, with a beam of 400mm and 490mm from wing tip to wing tip at the widest point.
    • The whole skiff is built out of marine ply and coated in fibreglass resin inside and out before painting.
    • The crew are all around 300 mm high and were recruited from the local second hand shop.
    • The mast is 1830 high and the boom is 630mm.
    • The sails were made by Steve Arthur, and what a fabulous job he did, they are fantastic.
    • The centre board is 500mm long in the water with a 1 kilo weight hanging off the bottom, and the rudder is 200mm in the water.
    • The rig is based on the intermediate or second rig we had in the boat, 18 footers all had three rigs small, medium and large for different wind conditions.

I have set the skiff up as a pond skiff after deciding that making her R/C would spoil the look on the inside with all the gear needed to make it R/C. It ended up being a good decision as she sails and looks a lot more realistic this way, and is a lot of fun also. I have been amazed at just how well she sails, no weather helm or lee helm at all, I just set the rudder and sails and off she goes and go she does, after all she is a skiff.

Default Native boats

While traveling through South Carolina, I ran across this small museum/natural learning center. Inside, I found these fascinating dugout canoes. At least one of them predates contact with western European civilization. Nothing is really known about the two canoes beyond the fact they were found buried in the mud of the Savannah River or nearby salt marsh. The smaller canoe measures 15 feet (4.75 M) by 27 inches (68 cm) by 8 inches deep (200 mm).

The large of the two is draped with the skins of local fur bearing animals. It is 22 feet (6.7 M) by three feet (one M) by 20 inches deep (57 mm). It is so heavy, probably from being water logged, that it took 14 men to carry it into the building. Obviously, one side is missing so some of the measurements are guesses, but are not far off.

They are a work of art. They are so symmetrical that the gunnel on the smaller canoe is 19 mm uniformly from stem to stern. The curves are smooth and the hull fair. Apparently, when they wanted to build a canoe, they burned the tree off at the base, then placed coals from a fire in the hull and scraped off the burned area with sea shells, repeating the process until the canoe was finished. The sap wood was not used. The most common wood was Bald Cypress because of its resistance to rot and insects. Smaller canoes in the 11 foot range (3.35 M) were used in Louisiana (and probably still are today).

These were ideal to use in the thousands of square miles of salt marsh in this area centered around Savannah, Georgia, USA. This area is rich in oyster, clams, mussels, shrimp and many species of fish. Pics will follow as the internet is not working particularly well at this time.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112