Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Tool & Cutter Grinder

Since buying my Mini Mill, I have been using carbide cutters (end mills and slot drills) and an HSS slitting saw. Becoming more adventurous, I bought a side and face cutter, which was the bees knees as far as finish, bur it only lasted a few cuts before it became blunt and useless. Attempts to sharpen said cutter and the slitting saw by hand were disastrous and it seems I am in need of a TC Grinder. Research shows the Quorn and Bonelle for home construction and a simpler Tinker design from Canada which uses a normal bench grinder to do the job but with somewhat restricted capability.
    Questions: How do you all sharpen your milling cutters?
    Has anyone built a Quorn, Bonelle, Tinker?
    If so, how easy was it?
    If you don't have a TC Grinder, where can I get my cutters sharpened?
    I realise that my questions may give rise to snorts of derision from seasoned millers, but my milling practice has been all self taught.
    Cheers
    Graeme

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by graemet View Post
    I realise that my questions may give rise to snorts of derision from seasoned millers, but my milling practice has been all self taught.
    Cheers
    Graeme
    Graeme, don't worry about it, we all start somewhere.

With your location I'd think there would be someone reasonably close who would sharpen cutters. I'd suggest asking a few local machine shops who does their's. Small end mills and slots drills are probably not worth resharpening if you are paying for it but the larger cutters would be I would think. If you do find someone who does a good job at a fair price, please post up the details as I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

regards
    bollie7

Saw doctors or anybody who sharpens saw will have the ability to sharpen your HSS cutters etc
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Maybe Henry Bros. Saws ??

541 Old Hawkesbury Rd, Vineyard, NSW 2765

p: (02) 96275486

Last time I was there (long time ago), I think I recall seeing milling cutters, router bits, etc. etc.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Graeme, I haven't had any of my cutters sharpened, with the smaller ones that I tend to use I doubt whether it would be economical.

In the last 10 or so issues of Model Engineers Workshop there have been quite a few articles about T&C grinders, Carlton and Stent come to mind, so perhaps you could have a look there.

Don't know whether you frequent HSM and HMEM, but there is a fair bit of info on T&C grinders there as well. Another place to look would be Hoss's site, he's built his own as well.

I'm in the same boat but the smaller cutters under 1/2 or 12mm I don't bother with ,(I recycle) them as boring bar bits .
    The larger cutters when blunt or chipped I put aside and will get them sharpened when I get a tool and cutter grinder.I'm looking for a second hand smaller industrial machine .I just need to be patient .

From reading a few articles regarding the Quorn , it is a good design , but will take a fair bit of time and effort to build .
    Some of the operations to make the parts require a bit more than basic machining skills , and will present a steep learning curve .
    There is a yahoo group dedicated to the quorn and from the posts I've read the members are very helpful.
    The casting kits and drawings are available in Australia from Hobby Mechanics
    Quorn Cutter Pricelist

I dont think there is a kit for the Bonelle at least I haven't seen one.

I have noticed also that one of the most difficult pieces ( the 1/2'TPI threaded column) to machine is supplied already finished.

I don't think there is a hobby sized lathe that can machine a 1/2" tpi thread.

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlee View Post
    1/2" tpi thread.
    Kev.
    Huh? whatcha mean Kev? Do you mean 1/2 thread per inch? If so thats a spiral. Would be an interesting job grinding a tool bit for that. Interesting looking tool too.
    bollie7

That TC grinder also does not come with very many accessories....

Grays Auctions had 3 TC grinders sell a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne or Sydney I cannot remember which, all went under $1000...

When I owned a sharpening buisness one of my T&C's was a Wadkin, they are a good machine, in saying that if I were to buy a T&C today of that size I would be looking at a cincinatti no.2 or one of the clones very versatile machine and you can pick up a good one with lots of bits and peices for about $3,000

Quote Originally Posted by bollie7 View Post
    Huh? whatcha mean Kev? Do you mean 1/2 thread per inch? If so thats a spiral. Would be an interesting job grinding a tool bit for that. Interesting looking tool too.
    bollie7
    Yep 1/2 " threads per inch ,spiral, thread all the same .
    A thread is just a fine spiral when you really look at it.
    This large thread is on the column of the Quorn for quick vertical adjustment of the grinding head unit .

Kev.
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

No good to me it's 3 phase .

Got my eye on a Deakin (I think) , for $1500.00 just waiting for the price to drop a bit as I'll have to freight it from Qld to Nt .Has a lot more tooling with it also.

Kev.
    Groucho Marx

Yep 1/2 " threads per inch ,spiral, thread all the same .
    A thread is just a fine spiral when you really look at it.
    Kev.
    Absolutely, I just wasn't sure what you meant when you said 1/2" TPI thread.

bollie7

I don't think there is a hobby sized lathe that can machine a 1/2" tpi thread.

Kev.
    It might surprise you what can be achieved... I have seen pictures of tiny lathes cutting coase threads with the lathe being powered by an electric drill on the leadscrew...

It is not the size that matters but how you use it...