Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Page 1 of 29 12345611 ... LastLast

Default The Grey Seal Huon Seal

It seems like an eternity ago now , but a few months ago I bought the Huon Seal.
    I loved the way she sailed , but it became quickly apparent that the engine , and the way it was set up was way below "scratch" , so I decided to do something about it .
    I didn't believe I had the knowledge or experience to do it myself , and I certainly didn't have the time , so I approached Garry Stewart , a very experienced wooden boat builder in Port Fairy , to do the job for me , and I would help where I could.
    He didn't muck around , once the boat was on his place , and soon the old Yanmar was out , and it was my job to start cleaning up all of the gunk and crud in the bilge , and get her ready for a new engine , and then Garry designed a new box and sole around her.
    It took 3 days alone to get the crud out , get her cleaned up and painted , and then the reconstruction started.
    The biggest hurdle to overcome was the new engine , it had to be very shallow , from the shaft hight to the bottom of the sump.
    It turned out only one engine had any chance , and that was a 13 hp Lombardini twin.
    We then found out that it was also probably the cheapest , and equalled the best in compact dimensions , and light weight.
    Well , now the engine is in , with a new shaft seal , shaft and prop .
    And Garry has built a much lower engine box , and sloped it and the sole slightly , to aid self drainage.
    All of the things I would never have know of , have been done.
    The hose preventing air locks in the shaft seal , the anti syphon pipes , all of that sort of stuff is done and in.
    New , easy engine and g/box controls too are in.
    So is the new DSC radio , the chartplotter , and the integrated auto tiller.
    Garry is working on another boat right now , but I'm still pretty busy catching up with the painting.
    It won't be long now though , and she will be back on the water , what a great day that will be !.
    Regards Rob J.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Sorry, no photos so it doesn't exist

Richard

Looking forward to hearing about the on water tests

Default Hs

OK , here is a try , the last photo taken.
    Regards Rob J.

Default Hs

Here is a photo of the way she used to look , except you can't see all of the water and gunk in the bilge..
    Regards Rob J.

Hmnm, the term 'dramatic difference' springs to mind

I gather you're happy with the work that's been done.

Richard

Yes I am Richard.
    He is very experienced boatbuilder , who sets himself a high standard.
    Obviously almost all of his work is on other peoples boats , but its a lesson to go on to his own 'couta boat that he designed and built , or his motor launch he designed and built , or the dinghies he has designed and built on "spec" about the place , and check his work.
    Beautiful , but also very practical setups , as you would expect from someone who primarily works for professional seamen.
    And the nice part is that he hasn't cost me "the earth" , so yes , I'm very happy I've gone to him.
    And , surprise surprise , I've learnt a lot too , working in this environment , and I'll feel a lot more confident with HS in the future.
    Regards Rob J.

Now a certain US forum has had some lovely pics of this dream boat, I seem to recall (or am I dreaming again?)...certainly some good discussion...any chance of having a few shots of the hull for us to oggle at?
    What caused the Pacific War? A book to read: here

http://middlething.blogspot.com/

Default Huon Seal

Yes , there are photos on the Wooden Boat Forum , but I won't be posting there again , the posts other than boat building drove me away.
    I hope to have lots of photos soon of the "new" HS .
    The painting is progressing well , its starting to look REAL good !.
    Regards Rob J.

Default Hs

Here are a couple of photos taken just before HS went back on to her trailer , and down to Garry Stewart.
    The first I just like , its of my classy lady.
    The second shows the engine box , which dominates the cockpit .
    To engage the gears , the engine box has to be tilted up , and secured , effectively cutting you off from the cabin .
    Thats all gone now.
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by dopeydriver View Post
    Yes , there are photos on the Wooden Boat Forum , but I won't be posting there again , the posts other than boat building drove me away.
    Regards Rob J.
    i've only just joined up over there (to find out if anyone knew the where abouts Sam Devlin was) form what i've read i have to say this is the opinion of quite a few of the members

Here are a couple of photos taken just before HS went back on to her trailer , and down to Garry Stewart.
    The first I just like , its of my classy lady.
    The second shows the engine box , which dominates the cockpit .
    To engage the gears , the engine box has to be tilted up , and secured , effectively cutting you off from the cabin .
    Thats all gone now.
    Regards Rob J.
    wow what a beautiful looking boat, do you have any other photos showing more of her

Richard

As soon as they opened the wooden boat forum here, I deserted the Wooden Boat Forum, where I'd been quite active. I've been back a few times, particularly during searches and to be honest, it isn't attractive to someone who just wants to build boats.

Now, back to this boat.

MORE PICCIES PLEASE. She's lovely

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    As soon as they opened the wooden boat forum here, I deserted the Wooden Boat Forum, where I'd been quite active. I've been back a few times, particularly during searches and to be honest, it isn't attractive to someone who just wants to build boats.

Richard
    One of the things I like about this particular forum is that it seems to be more about sharing interests than flexing muscles or peeing on lamp posts. (Not that I have anything against that particular activity. My little dog has taken it beyond a simple art form, to the level of sheer poetry....I am restricted to the lemon tree)

And I agree this is a particularly lovely boat and it looks like it is about to get better.
    What caused the Pacific War? A book to read: here

http://middlething.blogspot.com/

Default Hs.

Well , here is todays photo , of the new engine box .
    The new engine controls are on the starboard side of the cockpit.
    Its much lower , allows seating forward , is water tight and better draining.
    I'll post other photos if there is an interest.
    Regards Rob J.

I'll post other photos if there is an interest.
    Regards Rob J.
    Yes please

There is interest!!!

Nice to have you back with a boat in hand Rob (DD)

MIK

Page 1 of 29 12345611 ... LastLast