Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default NS14 - 65 restoration, can it be done?

Hi all,

Looks like I have a lot of work in front of me, and I could use some advise.
    When I was a teenager, my dad's friend had an old wooden sailing dinghy and I got to go out in it a few times. When my dad's friend died, he left it to my dad. After 15 years sitting under a tarp, it was in a sorry state. Almost no varnish left. The floor was damp and rotten, with holes and a mushroom growing amongst the leaves. The consensus was to take her to the tip, but as I inspected her I found the hull ply seemed quite solid and the trailer was towable. All the parts were there and the sails seem ok. I decided to try and save her. So now she is mine!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I loved this boat as a kid and the history she must have. I would really like to see her sail again. She seems to be from around 1960-1970s, and has racing numbers (ns14-65) on the sail and plate, 'Avenger' on the tiller, and has BSC (Balmain sailing club?) on the transom. I realise she is one of the earlier NS14's, so I'd like to keep her as original as possible, keeping in mind there is some extensive damage.

I've been reading through the net and this forum for a while now, learning repair techniques. I have done a little woodwork but never with boats. I've gathered as much info as I could while she dried out in the garage over the summer, and made a start.
    I removed all the fittings. The decking ply, upper and lower was beyond saving so has been removed and kept as templates. I was pleased to find inside the buoyancy tanks that the interior hull ply and framework looks mostly brand new! The transom is rotted at the joints so I removed the transom which will need replacing.

I now need to repair the rotted areas. I have scraped out all the dryrot I could find. My main concern is the area butting to the transom. Some hull ply and framework will need repair. Picture 002 below shows the worst spot, and I'm not sure the best way to tackle it. Cut and replace? Fibreglass?

Do you think I can save her?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Sean,

She sure is a candidate for restoration. The NS14 was/is still a nice boat. There is plenty of good info on the WEST Sytem epoxy website and one of their publications covers wooden boat restoration and repair. Whilst I can't agree with all their methods for work on traditionally planked boats, there is some really good advice on repairing ply hulls in that PDF booklet found here - Publications - WEST SYSTEM by ATL Composites

Plenty of help on the forum too (subject to photos being posted )

regards,

AD
    www.denmanmarine.com.au
    Australian agent for Swallow Boats, Bruynzeel Multipanel Plywood and Barton Marine Products

Thanks AD, those are exactly the types of links I'm after. With info like that plus tips from experienced members here, I hope to get a good mix of techniques that will keep her as original as possible but still last.

I've been very fortunate to acquire this boat, as from the reading I've done they were designed for seniors, and so will make the perfect family boat, and a great for a learner like me who's only been out solo twice. I also understand they can really move when you know what you're doing!

I'll read up, and consider which epoxies and wood to buy. (and post more pics soon). I was thinking red cedar for the small pieces of frame that need replacing, and gaboon ply for the decks and hull repair?

Sean,

Congratulations on acquiring the NS14. You are definitely doing the right thing restoring her - she looks easily salvaged.

I remember there were a lot of wooden ones around in the 70's, but they were gradually taken over by fiberglass hulls with wooden decks, then all fiberglass, then who knows what exotic material they are made of now.

The modern ones are a bit twitchy to sail I hear from a current owner I know, but an older one probably less so as they had flatter and broader hull sections. They sure as hell go fast and are great fun to sail.

You will have a ball with her when you get her back in the water. Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted.

Cheers, Cameron.

Hello Sean,

WOW...What a find!

I thought you may be interested. I restored an NS of similar vintage a couple of years ago now. I stripped her bare and then repainted. The thread has a lot of information that helped me immensely.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f32/pa...e-help-108730/

Hope this helps

Alex

Sean,

You have taken on a bit of work here, but I agree that she is restorable.
    I do not think RED CEDAR is suitable , the timber is very soft and open grain, I would recommend Oregon, western red cedar , Hoop Pine or Paulowina, for replacement framing etc.

Gaboon ply is not the same as it was 15years ago, so look around for suitable ply, as for resin/glue , west system, botecote, ht3oo, epiglass/cure or fgi products will all do the job .

I would strip the hull back to bare timber , removing all paint, any rotted timber keep to use as a pattern for new pieces , so remove carefully.

there has been discussion about the glassing of older hulls , especially if they were not glassed previously, while some people say to just glass the keel&chines with tape , glassing the whole hull (exterior) , will stop ply from splitting and give an excellent base for paint, and added protection.

Have fun with the project and I an the rest of the forum would love to see pic's of your progress , to a finished , restored boat.

Jeff