Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default To glue or not to glue..

Hi all,

Great website, I've just began reading a small portion of the valuable info stored within.

I now have a question for a floor installation of my own.

My plan involves laying a subfloor of 12mm plywood over waterproof plastic onto a concrete slab. The plywood was to be fitted using 6mm knockins to cover the entire floor area prior to laying 80mm X 19mm blackbutt and sanding, polishing etc..

One of a dozen questions I have raised during research for this project is regarding gluing of the Blackbutt to the plywood. I plan to secret nail the blackbutt with 44mm staples.

Any thoughts to glueing also. I understand the need for some movement but have had mixed opinions to the idea.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

regards

Ben

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Firstly...

Is there any reason you're not using 18mm ply? It is highly recommended.

Also, why are using such long flooring staples - 38mm is the standard? Where do you think the extra leg length is going to go? It will either not go into the tongue far enough which will inhibit the next board or curl around between the concrete and the ply and lift it or not hold the boards tight so they'll squeak.

The answer to your question...

YES, use glue, but the right glue. Polyurethane adhesive (such as Bostik Ultraset or Mapei P990) will set flexible, allowing the boards to move with climate change. Most construction adhesives will set hard and if the boards move enough it will let go. For a few extra $$$ per meter it's better off doing it right the first time and being happy knowing that its been done the best it can be done.

G'day Shanetorque,

There was no real reason for the 12mm ply except my concern for some tiles I have to butt up against. They are 30mm high and with the 19mm hardwood I thought it would be adequate and a good height and it was available. I see the advantage of thicker ply. More timber to nail into etc. (Any other advantages?)

Now I'm not too sure about the length of the staples...It had been recommended by a floor installer when I told him the timber dimensions. But you have definitely got me revisiting my thoughts on what length is enough.

Since writing my question I was recommended Bostik ultraset by another supplier. I dropped into Bunnings for other reasons today and they didn't seem to have that product. I'm not sure where you are bloke but who else sells this in NSW.

Very fair call on the staple length. It does possibly seem excessive. And good advice on the glue type. Now I have to source that glue....

Cheers for the feedback.

-Ben

I just noticed your avatar location. I'm up in Syd at moment. Any suggestions for suppliers near Revesby.
    -BF

Damn Tilers!
    Matching existing flooring heights is a valid reason for using thinner ply. The only reason I say use 18mm is because it's been written that that is the best way, but I accept that it's not the only way. If I were paying someone to do it that's what I'd expect.

As far as the staples there's even 32mm available which I'm sure will do the right job. Talk to a staple/nail manufacturer and they'll tell you the 'grab' with timber nails is in the point not along the shaft.

Ultraset is one of Bostik's Trade Brands. I believe timberset is the retail equivilent. And I do mean equivilent. It is similar but different, probably more user friendly but not as good under the more extreme conditions.

Also think about using a rolled or sprayed on membrane instead of the plastic. It will allow you to use adhesive to bond the ply to concrete with glue, then the hardwood to the ply like a big glue sandwich! Will be perform better in the long run as well.

PS if use a adhesive system from one manufacturer they will warrant its performance sometimes for upto 10 years!