Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas GIS

Default car comment

In the new Flickr pictures there is a comment about my son's car being in the garage. Why it's in the garage taking up my boat building space explained below.

I started the night getting my garage ready for boat building;

Well, at least until my oldest college aged son called. It went something like this: "Hi Dad, wanted to tell you I had a great GPA this semester."

Ok, I knew something was wrong already, because he never calls, just texts. "I am around the corner near the baseball fields, ahh, can you come help me?"

Well, less than 3 blocks away he, drifted into a curb at a high rate of speed. Blew the front tire, broke the rim, broke both the tie rod and spindle and when the tire folded under it shattered the plastic front fender. He swears he was not going fast. You believe him too, right?

So we spent the next day or two hitting the junk yards finding the parts he needed. I reminded him more than a few times that I was to be getting the garage ready for boat building not car repair. The good news is the new lights made working on the car so much easier and I got to relax in a movie theater while he busted his knuckles repairing his car.

It's never boring around our house!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Very nice work on the model. I do have a question, though, about the center thwart. I see you've swooped the seat top forward in a lovely curve that also covers the daggerboard case. I like it, visually. Of course, it'll have to be slotted in the full-sized version. The potential drawback is access to gear stowed under the thwart. I find that I mostly reach stuff in there from forward, and your lovely swoops will make that just a touch more difficult. Might be worth the tradeoff, though. The other minor point is that we rigged a capped plug for the top of our slot for use when not sailing (keeps the rower's backside dry). The cap for that plug is the same thickness as the seat top. With your scheme, it'd be a bump for unwary tailbones, albeit a small one. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

I like the original straight seat the most ... but I'm not going to argue with someone who likes the look of something else - particularly when it doesn't change many of the details.

MIK

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    I like the original straight seat the most ... but I'm not going to argue with someone who likes the look of something else - particularly when it doesn't change many of the details.

MIK
    I must admit that I too am a fan of the original seat, but that's just me who prefers the uncomplicated look. A crew might prefer the extra space that the straight seat affords or then again, less space but a more comfortable backrest. I won't be giving my crew the option....shhhhh!

Default seat configuration

The idea for the curved seat comes from another GIS builder who posted his pictures. I like the curve, however, it does create crew and storage problems. I will go with the straight seat. I like the idea of the dagger board plug and will add it to my list.

We took out a local GIS without a trunk plug under outboard power...the water that came up into the boat was impressive!

I agree about the standard seat. That space under the MS seat is a good place to hide some gear and/or internal ballast (e.g., small children, pets)

The trunk plug fairs out the slot in the bottom which helps for rowing (more important in a rowboat, but still...)

From the sounds of it, there won't be much rowing in the Texas 200, from what I understand.

Howdy John .. I have heard whispers of a Goat going in the Texas 200. I am both excited and nervous by the prospect - it is a tough event.

Probably would recommend another reef in the head of the mainsail so it reefs down a bit more lateen style. You are sailing two up I presume?

Best wishes.
    Michael.

Sorry if that info about your plans with the Goat was supposed to stay quiet for longer, John! Now you have to do it!

If he is not two up, then ballast would be a good idea I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass Project View Post
    Sorry if that info about your plans with the Goat was supposed to stay quiet for longer, John! Now you have to do it!

If he is not two up, then ballast would be a good idea I presume.
    I would definitely have and likely use the second row of reef points.

I would also strongly recommend two bods. A good bit of ballast is a reasonable alternative.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

Good luck to you John!

I had originally thought I could do the Texas 200 this year, but family events involving cross-country travel overlap with the Texas 200. (I'm not sure why my nephew from Houston is getting married in Canada - yeah, actually, I do know why - because if the wedding were in Houston, I could have done both!

There is always next year.
    Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Parthfinder
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS
    Goat Island Skiff - Sacramento

I am already letting Ellie know that I want to go next year! Maybe that guy from Australia will come back and play with us....

I just feel bad b/c John mentioned these plans to me, but I don't think he made them public!

Cheers,
    Clint

I know one other builder planning to do the event. With enough peer pressure maybe we could get Sisu, too (?). That would be pretty cool to have a fleet of GIS doing the Texas 200! With a fleet of 5 or 6, how could that guy resist...?
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS

In Goats, we'd be at the finish line a whole day earlier enjoying the fresh beer.....

Let's all gather at the start before we start counting those fresh beers at the end...
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast