Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas GIS

Quote Originally Posted by BobWes View Post
    I know one other builder planning to do the event. With enough peer pressure maybe we could get Sisu, too (?). That would be pretty cool to have a fleet of GIS doing the Texas 200! With a fleet of 5 or 6, how could that guy resist...?
    There is certainly an attraction to this event. The predictable solid winds are nice. The sheltered waters are helpful. The sailing in company is lovely. The camaraderie is legendary. Showing the group that not ALL Oregonians are as crazy as Andrew would be nice

However... it's Texas. In summer. I spent a few years in Texas for graduate school. I loved the city of Austin, but the heat and humidity were viscerally, profoundly, miserable for a fellow raised in the lovely, cool, mists of the Oregon Coast.For us, if it hit 65F... it was a Heat Wave! I suppose it's not theoretically impossible that I'd go back there some day. However... It'd take some serious convincing, bribery, subsidization, ganging up, incentives, and perhaps even extortion to get me back to that state.

The Texas 200 is a wonderful event. Chuck is to be commended for creating a happy monster of an outing. I encourage anyone who's thinking about going to give it serious consideration. I doubt you'll regret it, if you decide it's a good fit for you. But don't bet your house on me bringing Sisu down. Now... Jerry, on the other hand, is half lizard. He actually likes baking in the sun. He owns a piece of Sisu. Problem is - while I regard myself as a neophyte sailor, Jerry has not even attained a fraction of that level of ineptitude. He'd need another few sailing seasons under his belt (at his present rate of advancement)... and maybe some lessons... before I'd suggest it to him.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by arbordg View Post
    There is certainly an attraction to this event. The predictable solid winds are nice. The sheltered waters are helpful. The sailing in company is lovely. The camaraderie is legendary. Showing the group that not ALL Oregonians are as crazy as Andrew would be nice

However... it's Texas. In summer. I spent a few years in Texas for graduate school. I loved the city of Austin, but the heat and humidity were viscerally, profoundly, miserable for a fellow raised in the lovely, cool, mists of the Oregon Coast.For us, if it hit 65F... it was a Heat Wave! I suppose it's not theoretically impossible that I'd go back there some day. However... It'd take some serious convincing, bribery, subsidization, ganging up, incentives, and perhaps even extortion to get me back to that state.

The Texas 200 is a wonderful event. Chuck is to be commended for creating a happy monster of an outing. I encourage anyone who's thinking about going to give it serious consideration. I doubt you'll regret it, if you decide it's a good fit for you. But don't bet your house on me bringing Sisu down. Now... Jerry, on the other hand, is half lizard. He actually likes baking in the sun. He owns a piece of Sisu. Problem is - while I regard myself as a neophyte sailor, Jerry has not even attained a fraction of that level of ineptitude. He'd need another few sailing seasons under his belt (at his present rate of advancement)... and maybe some lessons... before I'd suggest it to him.
    Mmmm, sounds like ideal conditions for an Aussie contingent.

Hello,

I am probably a bit biased, having done Raid Caledonia in Schotland last year, and am convinced a GIS would do well in the event. You would have to sail her cautiously though and I would for sure recommend more reef points than standard (in square meters something like the full 9.65 m2, 8 m2, 6.5 m2 and a handkerchief size for when it really starts blowing).

I have only heard positive things about the Texas 200 event. For sure an event I would like to participate in one day. A bit far to travel from Europe however and shipping would cost a bit, but it is tempting.

Joost

For a RAID type event how do you store gear? I am using my model to look at some "saddle bag" concepts for storing both wet and dry gear. I will have pictures posted soon. For those that have taken long cruises on a GIS, how do you protect your gear from a capsize?

As to reef points, I will have at least 2 sets of reef points at this point, a 3rd set would seem to indicate it's time to beach the boat and take a break.

Some have suggested a batten at each set of reef points. Not that they are a critical part of the reefing process, but the will keep the sail flogging as much. Is there a discussion already going on sail design?

I will have my 12 year old son with me as live ballast and 2nd helmsman. My daughter and wife will be shore crew.

Hello John,

For a RAID type event how do you store gear? For those that have taken long cruises on a GIS, how do you protect your gear from a capsize?

When we raided with our GIS in Scotland last year in Raid Caledonia, we stored a bucket and fenders under one side of the middle thwart. A box with anchoring gear, towing line, warps of rope and a box with distress flares and such were stored on the other side. All this gear, save for the anchor box, was tied to the boat.

Two watertight containers were stored under the foredeck between bulkhead 1 and 2 for valuables, spare gear and tools (also tied to the boat). In addition we had one big watertight bag on the foredeck lashed to the mast for our spare clothes, food and drinks.

When you have a shore crew, this would probably be sufficient. If having to haul full camping kit and supplies with you in the boat, I would consider installing some lashpoints low in the boat to tie all bags down as low in the boat as possible. Mind you, in a capsize, it might be very awkward to right the boat when you have a lot of gear on board.

As to reef points, I will have at least 2 sets of reef points at this point, a 3rd set would seem to indicate it's time to beach the boat and take a break.

If I were to order a new sail, I would have 3 sets of reef points: the two standard ones as drawn by MIK in the plans and one intermediate set between full sail and the first set of reef points. In raids you want to set the proper amount of sail to match the conditions (most of us don't want to push it too hard in these type of events but you do want to make good progress) and this would allow more versatility (also when sailing solo). This would result in 3 rows of reef points allowing you to reef from the full sail area of 9,7m2 to:
    - appr. 8m2
    - then to appr. 6,5m2 (first set of reef points drawn by MIK)
    - and lastly the emergency handkerchief (second high set of reef points in the standard sail plans)

Last year in Raid Caledonia, we felt that the reef from the full sail area to 6.5m2 was too big in these type of events. This resulted in us either setting too much sail (very exhilarating sailing but quite on the edge) or sailing underpowered.

I agree with you that the third very high set of reef points is for emergencies only.

Some have suggested a batten at each set of reef points. Not that they are a critical part of the reefing process, but the will keep the sail flogging as much. Is there a discussion already going on sail design?

Yep, multiple discussions have been going on about sail design and the spars (these should preferably match each other). I believe that the general consensus is that it is best to leave the battens out. I have used them and they keep the sail from flogging when tacking and such, but you do loose power as some draft seems to be taken away from the sail. But again, this depends much on the actual cut of the sail and the stiffness of the spars.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Joost

There is one thread re: Sail Design for the GIS, located at:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/s...gn-gis-104165/

And another thread re: GIS Spars, located at:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/gis-spars-109530/

I plan to write up a description of the sail I want to order - based on the discussions - and ask Chuck at DuckWorks to quote a price. (There are minor changes to the standard sail but I do expect a change in price.) I'll post that description in the Sail Design thread for comment before sending it to Chuck.
    Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Parthfinder
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS
    Goat Island Skiff - Sacramento

Howdy John,

Sorry if this was meant to be quiet ... but I had a number of whispers from outside this group and didn't know who it was.

I would suggest the extra reef points. It is more a way of limiting speed than anything else. The event is mostly downwind in quite strong winds so the speed and concentration can get tiring.

Nice to have a ground support crew too! It is a tough event in terms of being able to complete it but reasonably safe because of the warm water, the general shallowness and the protection from the sea.

The biggest thing with the Goat is that it is a lot of bailing if it goes over. One preventative is to get some good time sailing in the boat before the event so you don't go over or don't do it often - general sailing experience will help too of course - dinghy racers would have a lot of fun with this boat and this race!. Another is to carry your gear central and low.

I have suggested increasing the size of the middle seat and boxing it in as both storage and to increase the flooded stability and reduce the bailing. Air bags would be another way.

If All the advice is overloading you (that's my fault ... sorry) it will calm down in a day or so and we can help you filter through it.

Best wishes
    Michael

I think the Texas 200 is an exciting adventure and it is definitely on my bucket list.

Here is the link to the Texas 200 web site.

The Texas 200

I see that it has been moved a couple of weeks later in June. That really overlaps the family event I'm attending. I really cannot make this year's Texas 200 so I will concentrate on 2011. That is probably good for many reasons - not the least of which is gaining experience with the GIS.

The idea of ground support is a good idea - in theory. When I commented on that concept after the 2008 event (looking overly optimistically at 2009), a good friend of mine who participated in that inaugural event told me the route does not lend itself to ground support. The only places (after the start) for ground support to meet the fleet is at Padre Island Yacht Club (Day 2 destination) and at Magnolia Beach for the finish (Day 5). In between is a lot of isolated terrain that is not readily accessible by land.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone but check into the circumstances. Email Chuck at DuckWorks and ask him about the route. Contact some participants to ask about their experiences.

It is a worthwhile endeavor, but you need to understand the event and be prepared!
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS

Storing gear is an interesting puzzle. I've given some thought to solutions but my theoretical solutions will have to wait trials until the boat is completed.

One idea is to use dry-bags extensively. Okay, so this isn't a theoretical idea - keeping things dry is their intended purpose! As for securing them, one idea would be to tie one end to the inwale and tie the other to either lash-points (as Joost suggested) or to a line strung along the chine-log between BH2 and BH3. This line could be tied to saddles installed low on the bulkheads and possibly threaded through eyes in the chine-log.

Another possibility would be to lash the bags between the centercase and side of the hull using bungie cord.

Camp gear would have to be carefully chosen to be compact enough to fit into dry bags. I am confident this can be done

Carrying enough water may be a bigger issue. Since other small boats have done this event, I am sure all provisioning and equipment issues have been addressed and pretty much figured out. Heck, a Goat has considerably more room inside than a PDR and those guys have figured it out!

Let's continue to consider the possibilities and share ideas.
    Gardens of Fenwick
    Karen Ann, a Storer GIS

Default Texas GIS

Mik,

This is one NFT (Next-Fun-Trip) that I will need help on, so it's OK that other helpful people know. We as a family try to do a winter and summer trip. We build our own hiking/ camping gear, but this time we are building a GIS for our summer NFT adventure. There will be more to it than the Texas 200, maybe an additional 300 miles of sailing along the Texas coastline.

We are definitely helpful. Whether we are a help will become clear in the fullness of time!

MIK

Default middle seat conversation

"I have suggested increasing the size of the middle seat and boxing it in as both storage and to increase the flooded stability and reduce the bailing. Air bags would be another way"

Mik,

Can you direct me to conversations concerning the modifications of the the middle seat. I do recall seeing photos of someones modification showing the "tunnels" for the limber holes, but I am close to information overload and do not know where I was when I saw it.

Hello John,

Pictures and building sequence are in this post:

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/s...ch-gis-101815/

Best regards,

Joost

Thanks Joost,

John, just get on with making the bits ... you don't have to worry about changing anything at this point as everything else is standard and you won't be getting to that point this week or next.

But that is the principle. Bulkhead 3 would be made without any cutouts and the seat top would be made wider and extend forward a bit further. Water would have to be able to drain from one side of the seat to the other, but that is not too tricky to organise.

It would also be possible to move the back of the seat further back in the boat as well as moving the front forward and that would mean a small change to the centrecase sides to make them reach the new point and I would have to check the new bulkhead shape for you.

Default model changes

I made some changes to my model to look at different storage possibilities. There are a few variations shown.

Link:

GIS -Model - a set on Flickr

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast