Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas GIS

It can be true. Some do rinse though.

I tend to wash my dishes the Asian way. Soapy sponge kept on the window sill. Anything that comes to the sink is scrubbed with the sponge and then rinsed off.

For small and medium washing up it saves heaps of water.

But I'm weird in several ways - some would say unAustralian!

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Framing Question

Quote Originally Posted by Boatmik View Post
    I tend to wash my dishes the Asian way. Soapy sponge kept on the window sill. Anything that comes to the sink is scrubbed with the sponge and then rinsed off.
    MIK
    My wife is 50/50 Peruvian/Chinese she does it the same way.

In the Timber List there is a frame size of 19x60x1400 called out. Where is this going and on what page of the manual is it hiding? Within plain sight I am sure.

JDG

Transom top frame.

No wait, I think I'm wrong, I'm stupid, lemme go look.

Well, beats me. I've got it crossed out, which means I accounted for it in wood purchase, but I can't figure out where it is or where it goes... I feel like I have a foggy distant memory of something, but it's just not materializing right now.

I am pretty sure without looking that it is the stock for the side arms that are permanently fitted to BHD#2 after the hull is assembled. They have a curved edge so need some extra material for shaping.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by john goodman View Post
    My wife is 50/50 Peruvian/Chinese she does it the same way.

In the Timber List there is a frame size of 19x60x1400 called out. Where is this going and on what page of the manual is it hiding? Within plain sight I am sure.

JDG
    Peruvian/chinese...I though chinese women were beautiful!

My folks are coming up this week...only the second time they have met my daughter, born in China, adopted only a couple weeks before MIK stayed with us (Jia loved MIK...anyone who can speak some Mandarin). I look forward to cooking my best fried rice to date. I think that will be exotic enough for my parents, and Jia can eat 51 pounds of it, amazing to watch. Where it all goes, I don't know.

Those wider frames are for BHD 2, John, because there is curvature to the boat there and the frames need to be cut the curve. If they were only 1 3/4" they'd lose too much mass with the curve cut into them.

It is quite amazing to build a ply boat with the compound curvature that is the fwd. part of the boat. The MSD was particularly intense in this regard. Made for some challenging frame cutting for the kiddos building that boat.

Well I never thought of that. Oops.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has used the 19x45 stock on BH2 side arms either, there are a lot of pictures out there of skinny side-arms... I know this because I was curious when mine got a tad thin.

Any problem using the skinnier arms? I want toughness, and I've got the wood to do it again, I just have already cut out (but not glued) my sidearms for BH2.

Redo it, dude.

Roger, no biggie.

My totally observant 5-year old son asked me today when he was helping me and he saw me cut a chine log notch, put the bulkhead in and later take it back out to recut the notch: "Daddy, didn't you already cut that, why are you doing it again. You keep doing things again and again". Sigh.

I explained that boatbuilders make a lot of mistakes, especially professional ones trying to work with a toddler.

Then he said later, "Daddy, when I get bigger, will you teach me how to build boats". What a great request! I said, I'm teaching you already! He wasn't very helpful. But he did use my router table to open a store and he sold me the tools as I needed them. Yup, it was a productive day!

Default long wet boards

Picked up my flat grained spruce for the wales from the lumber mill today. The guy at the yard looked at me a little funny when he opened the shops overhead door and saw my minivan there. "Ahh, you don't have a truck?" he asked. No, I have a minivan. "How ya gunna get this home." With my minivan. I replied. "OK, I'm gett'n out of dah rain buddy good luck." Off he went back into the warm, dry but noisy millwork shop.It started raining harder so my son and I quickly strapped (5) 19 foot long wales onto the roof of the van.

Yes, I have 5 wales, 4 to use and 1 as a safety. I don't want to go back there for a while. I need to start gluing things together. It just needs to stop raining!

Luckily rain doesn't bother epoxy curing but if you were painting...that is a bummer. I varnished and painted a pair of oars I refurbished 6 years ago for my Dyer Dink tender. It was going to be done in time for a cruise. It was pea soup fog all week. The paint never dried.

Guess I'll be making new side arms for BHD#2
    Simon
    My building and messing about blog:
    http://planingaround.blogspot.com/
    The folks I sail with:
    West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron

Default Opps too!

I too had to buy some more WRC for the wider side arms at BHD #2. That was Ok, since I was still 28' short on the 19x19 framing stock.

All of my side arms started from blanks that were the same width; what that width was I have no idea at the moment. The ones at BH 2 have a good bit of curvature but you have the max width remaining where it's needed most--near the middle. My thinking was that a little less wood at the top and bottom is not a problem since the plywood bulkhead provides stiffening at the bottom and the gunwale structure is a very rigid I-beam, in effect.

Remember MIK's maxim--less (weight) is more.
    The "Cosmos Mariner,"My Goat Island Skiff
    http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/

Starting the Simmons Sea Skiff 18
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast