Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default tagua nut carving

Not a peep on this subject after we got our supplies. How's everybody going? I'm finding my first attempt quite challenging, and the internal void has already hit the surface where least convenient, as Murphy dictates. If by the end it is a keeper I might fill it with epoxy, otherwise it will be just practice.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I took a couple to the Kiewa turnfest and KenW turned one of them. Void is a bit of a PITA, but It survived. Ken still had to finish it when I left but I have progress shots. When I get through them all I'll post here too.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

O my, will we ever be safe from turners taking over? Our generation is supposed to be less dependent on immediate gratification...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    O my, will we ever be safe from turners taking over? Our generation is supposed to be less dependent on immediate gratification...
    I did start turning cos I thought it would get things done quicker. Its a lie I tell you! A lie. (I just thought you would also be interested in how it worked in differant situations. )
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Not a peep on this subject after we got our supplies. How's everybody going?
    I sort of got distracted by Christmas and new year
    this is after about 1/2hr, mostly spent trying every dremel bit I own,

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

I managed an hour to catch up on a few projects last week. I also ran into void issues so I cut the puppy open. The voids went to about 8mm inside the edge but not evenly so I have a bit more of an idea of what to expect now. Im working short hours this week and it is on my 2do list.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by underfoot View Post
    I sort of got distracted by Christmas and new year
    this is after about 1/2hr, mostly spent trying every dremel bit I own,
    Ditto. Only it took me at least 2 hours to get about there...

It seems to me that even the smallest dremel engraving bit can't do thin V cuts though, the next experiment will be burins made from steel nails.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    I did start turning cos I thought it would get things done quicker. Its a lie I tell you! A lie. (I just thought you would also be interested in how it worked in differant situations. )
    OK, OK, no offense meant, I have been turning also, you know... So, how did it work out with the lathe? Bet it came out round.

It seems safe to say that we have all found the medium rather challenging, though.

Default Voids

I have been experimenting with these nuts for ages on ways to fill the voids before I turn them.
    I use 24 hour araldite with a pigment colour. Available from anyone who sells fibreglass and repair kits. Got small bottles of colour pigments from a ships chandlery.
    Just hot glue the nut onto a waste piece, drill a small hole in one end then mix araldite/resin with colour to choice and pour into hole. Then I put tape over the hole and spin the nut in the lathe. Stop and check if the void needs more mixture then repeat. Once void is full put nut aside until mixture is set. The turn/carve away.

As the voids are irregular the outcome can be good or bad. But if you mix a colour near the same as the nut it usually looks OK.

My 2 bobs worth....

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I have been experimenting with these nuts for ages on ways to fill the voids before I turn them.
    I use 24 hour araldite with a pigment colour. Available from anyone who sells fibreglass and repair kits. Got small bottles of colour pigments from a ships chandlery.
    Just hot glue the nut onto a waste piece, drill a small hole in one end then mix araldite/resin with colour to choice and pour into hole. Then I put tape over the hole and spin the nut in the lathe. Stop and check if the void needs more mixture then repeat. Once void is full put nut aside until mixture is set. The turn/carve away.

As the voids are irregular the outcome can be good or bad. But if you mix a colour near the same as the nut it usually looks OK.

My 2 bobs worth....
    Would love to see some pics.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

I little lidded pot that Ken Wraight turned at the recent Kiewa Turn on and get together. (Link to post about it is HERE.)

Last edited by tea lady; 15th January 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added link.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

hhhm... I smell a rat here. The finial is not up to Ken's standard, and there is no photo evidence of him doing it... Are you going to 'fess up TL?

hhhm... I smell a rat here. The finial is not up to Ken's standard, and there is no photo evidence of him doing it... Are you going to 'fess up TL?
    Click on the link! Ken was working with an unknown quantity, so I think he took it easy. But hey! If you think I can turn that well who am I to argue.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

I did click on the link... but what threw me out was your last sentence asking what Ken would do with the second nut. To me it looked like in the first three pictures he was turning the lid from one nut and in the others turning the box from another nut. I am still happy to compliment you for your turning, though.

PS. Why does the "shrug" not appear in my post? Have you got a copyright on it?

Hey,, keep it up guys, I think this could turn into a grat thread. I would just love to see more and more pictures.

Terry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast