Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Bunya Nuts

Default Bunya Nuts

I am not sure if this the right place to post but I have a mature Bunya Pine tree. It has dropped 8 nuts in the last 2 days and from research on the net it is only the beginning of a 2 month process. Apart from having to walk around, not under, the tree on the way to my shed this is not a problem. I can dispose of the nuts by tossing them into the bush to rot there or feed the bush rats.

Do any members know if they are usefull other than the labourous method of extracting the kernals for cooking. I don't want to do this but if there is a 'market' for them then I am happy to save the 'crop' and suppy them to someone who can use them. PM or email to [email protected].

Before someone asks Tyalgum is 60 road k's west of Coolangatta/Tweed Heads via Murwillumbah

John.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

They are very high in protein,and are use by NASA for prolonged trips.No I am not joking,as there was a program many years ago on this.
    Have you tried roasting them?

Hi WhiteWood

Try the local fruit & veg shop. They could be interested

cheers
    Wendy

I would love a few seeds as I try to grow non local species down here. Have a lot of success as well.
    If its too difficult don't worry about it its just a thing I do if the opportunity arises
    Cheers
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Hi Pete

In case you do get some seed, just a couple of words about germinating Bunya Pine. First the seed has very short viability and should be sown within a couple of weeks of falling.

Then the germination seems quite bizarre. Sow the seed point down about half into the surface. A thick fleshy growth goes downward from the point of the seed and swells to a fat "tuber". Then the green shoot comes up from this "tuber" about 100mm below the surface. Quite easy to raise but don't overwater.
    Brian

ozhunter is offline Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmo

Didn't the indigenous population have some sort of big festival that revolved around the Bunya nut. I'm led to beleive they are very good eating, if you know how to prepare them.

oz

Default Bunya nuts

Quote Originally Posted by fxst View Post
    I would love a few seeds as I try to grow non local species down here. Have a lot of success as well.
    If its too difficult don't worry about it its just a thing I do if the opportunity arises
    Cheers
    Pete
    Most of my problem is finding the time to open the nut and extract the seeds. I'ts not straight foward from what I understand. I would like to master the process and if I do I'll keep you in mind.

John

Immature trees will throw nuts for years before having any that can be eaten or planted for seedlings, just leave the nut in a shady spot untill it starts to well & truly fall apart, then you can separate the single nuts from the husks, if the tree is mature the nuts will be heavy, roundish & solid & able to be roasted & eaten or planted. If they are light, tear shaped & can be compressed in any way with your fingers they are immature & only good for compost.
    regards inter