Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red face I'm on Shed Probation

Yup, banned from shed for the rest of the month. To be fair to LOML, it's pretty justified!

I had a day off on Wednesday and decided to turn up a flattish bowl/platter out of a lump of Syd Blue Gum. Was going for the square edged platter look. After squaring the blank up on the tablesaw, I decided that being young(-ish) and stupid qualified me to skip the gluing on of sacrificial bits to keep the edges clean (and more importantly, visible). Figured I'd clean them up at the end on the TS again.

Anyway, I turned the outside of the bowl OK, sanded and finished it. Came up a treat Turned it around and mounted it on a chuck and started hollowing, being very careful not to let my fingers go across the tool rest. Stopped the lathe every so often to get a look at it and remember where the edges were. I'd knocked the tips off a bit (elongating them) and they were fairly sharp, which comes into the story pretty soon.

While backing off a bit to have a look, and to be honest I still have no %#^#^ idea how I did it, I let my left hand wander under the tool rest Met with a Thocka-Thocka-Thocka sound, and a sharp pain across the back of my left index finger. Stopped the lathe and nearly fainted. Two nice, deepish cuts about 3-4cm long between my knuckle and fingernail. Apparently right above where the tendons in your fingers go

GP wasn't game to stitch it up, so send me to ER. Spent 5 hours waiting (even in a private hospital ER...) Apparently a healthy-ish guy with a bit of a sore finger doesn't amount to a high priority

Turns out after a visual inspection of bone and tendons , I only nicked the tendon and was ok for stiching. Bone was hit, but not overly hard, if that's a good thing.

Anyway, now feeling decidely stupid about the whole thing and considering exactly what woodworking and woodturning means to me. With a wife and two young kids, is it sensible to have a hobby where you can end up in ER for a moments stupidity? Got the rest of the month and a painful finger to help me think about it. Thought about the darkside, but then realised I could still do a good job on my hands with a plane . But when I think about the beautiful shapes that come off the lathe...

Maybe it's just time to slow down, don't rush, really do take all of the precautions. Accept that you don't have time to 'whip something up'. Accept that there are more important things in life and that "risk" means the probability of something going wrong, and that if it does go wrong maybe you get a sore finger, maybe you lose it, or maybe worse.

Gotta stop typing - now officially a 3 minus 1 finger typist

Cheers,
    Dave

PS. No photos, 'cos you don't want to see 'em. Trust me
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

It don't take much, do it.

Fortunately not a lot of damage but I bet it will remind you for a while to keep your hands to yourself and not stick em into things that go round and round.

Ah mate.

Doesn't it make you feel dumb.

Best of luck with recovery.
    Cheers, Ern

Dave firstly OUCH now what you go and do a dumb thing like that for (he says having done almost similar on a smaller scale with no damage).

Bet your father would at this stage look at you and say suck it up and get on with it.

Q. If you get an electric shock at work will it stop you using computers????

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    It don't take much, do it.
    Yes. Yes it does...

Quote Originally Posted by
    Fortunately not a lot of damage but I bet it will remind you for a while to keep your hands to yourself and not stick em into things that go round and round.
    I once did a community woodworking course with a high school WW teacher as the instructor. I lines up to use a router table for the first time ever and asked him for safety advice. All i got was "don't put your hand in the spinning bit, it will ruin your day!" Guess he was right

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Ah mate. Doesn't it make you feel dumb.
    yup...

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Q. If you get an electric shock at work will it stop you using computers????
    If I could get away with it

I just hate when that happens (being banned from the shed). Hope you didn't bleed on the bowl. Hate when that happens too, and am very careful about it. But it's not the pain or the damage that teaches you not to do this again. It's that damned interminable wait in the ER waiting room. Or so I have been told.
    Richard in Wimberley

Hope your recovery goes well, Dave.

Your third last paragraph about your reponsibilities has it correct so we know your values are true. Good work!

I have learned the hard way that for prompt attention you should rock up to Casualty with lots of blood. Something non-organic sticking out of the body really helps. Retro-fit if possible. A big sign around the neck saying 'Latex produces anaphylactic shock' is also useful.

Oh, and avoid Fri and Sat nights. There's always folk who play the attention game better then ;-}
    Cheers, Ern

Any injury is no good. But at least it wasn't too bad, still have the fingers I gather. Hope it all heals up as it should and yeah, you can never be too careful and it's real easy to be too complacent. Get better soon
    Have a rum to calm your nerves in the mean time.
    Cheers

Dave my apologies for the way I typed my last post.

I have changed my attitude and reviewed my thoughts it will be sad to see you give up the art of turning but if that what has to be............then so be it.................but

I've got first dibs on all your gear

I have learned the hard way that for prompt attention you should rock up to Casualty with lots of blood. Something non-organic sticking out of the body really helps. Retro-fit if possible. A big sign around the neck saying 'Latex produces anaphylactic shock' is also useful.
    Oh, and avoid Fri and Sat nights. There's always folk who play the attention game better then ;-
    Ern too much experience for me I try and avoid casualty like the plague
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Sorry Neil; some exp. from 3 kids and an ole phart who should know better.

Maybe there's a market for a guide ;-
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post

Oh, and avoid Fri and Sat nights. There's always folk who play the attention game better then ;-}

brilliant idea. Instead of turning up with a nicely bandaged finger and a semi-diognosis from a GP, I should have removed the bandage and applied copious amounts of tomato sauce, then feinted when I got through the ER door

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Dave my apologies for the way I typed my last post.

I have changed my attitude and reviewed my thoughts it will be sad to see you give up the art of turning but if that what has to be............then so be it.................but

I've got first dibs on all your gear
    will keep you in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by hughie View Post
    Ern too much experience for me I try and avoid casualty like the plague

Yeh but North Shore compared to Liverpool so would I

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast