Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ozhunter is offline Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmo

Default Questions from a lathe dummy

As you may have seen, I am now in possession of a Woodfast M908.

I know very little about these things (give me time) and given that a manuals are as scarce as rocking horse poo, I have a few questions for the knowledgeable among us.

My lathe came with several chucks and odds and ends.

Image 1 shows one of two chucks I have that are very similar.

What are they called?

Images 2,3 and 4 depict what I have deduced go in the previously mentioned chuck.

What is the procedure to assemble the chucks using these critters, and what are they used for?

I have worked out that the item in Image 5 fits inside the chuck in Image 1, there are two of these and they only fit one chuck each.

What are they called and what is their purpose?

Thanks

Adam
    If you find you have dug yourself a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
    I just finished child-proofing our house - but they still get inside.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Part 2

Image 1 in this post depicts what I think is called a face plate ??

How do you use one of these?

Images 2 and 3, what are they and how do I use them?

Lastly for now, I understand that the No. 2 Morse Taper drill chuck goes in the tail stock?? How do I get the centre that is in the tail stock out to put the drill chuck in?

Thank you for your patience and knowledge
    If you find you have dug yourself a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Gidday and welcome to the forum 1 Buy a book on woodturning 2. Join a club ASAP 3 join a library and borrow books Now down to the piccies

Top left Faceplate is screwed on to a piece of wood That has been flattened one face and mounted in chuck Use tail stock live centre as a steady till your wood is in balance

Next top right is a spurred drive and is used in spindle turning Wood is between the spur and live centre

bottom this also will fit into chuck and is used as a single screw holding wood and my main use is for small bowls and medium goblet while turning the majority of outside but has many other uses but is only used where either the hole will evetually be turned out or covered I do not have a chuck like yours but it is possible that a hand book could be available if we knew the brand
    You have bought reasonable quality as an entry level
    Oh yes the live centre is removed by winding the tailstock handle anticlockwise untill the live centre becomes free If the tailstock is hollow you could also just use the rod [which you should have got with the lathe] to tap it out Trust this helps you to some extent Cheers ww.Wally
    Last edited by Jim Carroll; 26th January 2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Spaced out to make easier to read.

Can't help much on post 1.

Post 2. The faceplate should screw onto the outside of the spindle. If you put small-ish screws through the holes into a bowl blank, you can turn the outside of the bowl with a foot for a chuck) before turning it around mounting the bowl onto the chuck, removing the screws and turning the inside of the bowl. somebody else can probably explain this one better

#2 is a spur drive. It's probably a mores taper #2, and slides into the head stock, much like the live centre will go into the tail stock. If you mark the centres on a spindle blank, you can mount the blank between the two and the spur drive will grip and turn the blank. Don't hit it with a chisel (leave a cm or so at each end). It hurts, and the chisel wont thank you either.

#3 is a wood screw. usually it would be gripped in a chuck. You drill a hole into the centre of your bowl blank about the depth of the screw and about the diamater of the shaft of the screw (ie, without including the teeth of the screw in the measurement). Then you can screw the bowl blank onto the woodscrew until the bowl blank is touching the chuck (giving it some support), and proceed as per the faceplate. Much quicker and easier than the faceplate, but beware, if you get a catch you will most likely turn the blank on the screw, causing it to strip the thread, resulting in you reverting to the faceplate

Cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

and your last question - there are usually 2 ways. On my MC1100, if you wind the tailstockl spindle all the way out, there is some gizmo in there that ejects the morese taper insert. Or there should be a hole right through it through which you can poke something in to get it out.
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

Quote Originally Posted by Ozkaban View Post
    and your last question - there are usually 2 ways. On my MC1100, if you wind the tailstockl spindle all the way out, there is some gizmo in there that ejects the morese taper insert. Or there should be a hole right through it through which you can poke something in to get it out.
    If you didn't get a knock out bar with the lathe - work out the correct size and get a piece of steel rod to that diameter. The knockout bar is what you feed through the headstock or tailstock to knock out whatever you've got in there ie a drive dog, anything else with a morse taper 2, dead centre etc

On your first post, sorry I have no idea about those chucks - If you have the name of them there might be someone who has a manual or can help

WWWally gave good advice - check out your local library they might have books on turning - my local even has a couple of DVDs

good luck
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Thanks for the replies folks.

I intend to go through all the knowledge gaining avenues mentioned above, but I would like to know what the chucks are called so I can do some research without stabbing in the dark.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    This the one you bought
    Yes, wheelin, that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwork wally View Post
    1 Buy a book on woodturning
    Saves me starting another thread. What are some recommendations for books and DVD's that I can purchase to help me be less of a dummy.

Join a club ASAP
    Does anyone know of a club in the Central West of NSW. Can't find too much information so far, just a a disconnected phone number

Image 1 shows one of two chucks I have that are very similar.

Images 2,3 and 4 depict what I have deduced go in the previously mentioned chuck.
    What is the procedure to assemble the chucks using these critters, and what are they used for?
    I have worked out that the item in Image 5 fits inside the chuck in Image 1, there are two of these and they only fit one chuck each.
    I would say from the pics you have the remains of a Leady expansion chuck with some but missing. It was designed to be used in High Schools by Bruce Leadbettter.
    If not a Leady then perhaps one similar, there was one made in the UK some years ago but I cant recall by whom.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Could be a Woodfast super chuck, it's been along time since I've seen or used one, I am going to Woodfast on Wednesday I will see if I can pick some ones brains

Looks like a collet chuck to me . The main drawback with them is that the spigot you turn to grip on must be fairly accurately sized - but they are quick and hold on like . . . . . . well you get the idea . My old man used to make his own until they invented scroll chucks - he swore by collet chucks for holding goblet blanks - but then he just swore for no particular reason at all too
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    Could be a Woodfast super chuck, it's been along time since I've seen or used one, I am going to Woodfast on Wednesday I will see if I can pick some ones brains
    Thanks China, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    Saves me starting another thread. What are some recommendations for books and DVD's that I can purchase to help me be less of a dummy.
    I've got quite a collection of books and DVDs I always share around. R. Raffan, M. Darlow to name a few. Just PM me with your address etc and please send them back.

One good book I can't send you is the Rowley one (I think, Fundamentals of Wood Turning). I still have 's copy on loan and you should buy it before probably any other. IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast