Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default my work placement

ok guys, year 12, last year of school and i have another work placement week next week. i really want to blow this place away with my enthusiasm and willingness to learn. last year at my fabrication place i got 100% for my report, so im aiming for that again. so if you were an employer, what would you want from a 17 year old kid who will most likely cost you money to have stay the week.

i thought that not only to show them im keen, but to give me a sense of freedom is to rock up on monday morning, 10 to seven carrying my blue toolbox ( ruler, tape measure, verniers, screwpitch indentification gauge, centre punch, calipers and dividers, scriber, shifter, hammer, square, and more) some of the basic tools i made myself. last placement, i really put the guy at a disadvantage when i had to use his tools and it slowed him down a fair bit. but what else will blow them away?

im going to Mainteck Machine shop Fairy Meadow for my placement, anyone work there?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Listen to what they tell you.
    They probably aren't going to be too keen to listen to your stories.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions if directions are a bit unclear.
    Don't be a smart @rse (even if some of the other guys play up a bit).
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Be happy, even if you get the crappy job. Everyone has to start at the bottom.

Sounds like you did alright last time so keep up the good work.

Remember safety too, make sure you know how to use the tools and equipment, ask if not sure.

Good luck.
    So many ideas........so little skill........

Ask what you can do when there's nothing to do.

In a machine shop, there's probably a dirty floor, or swarf on machines, so if you have finished what you were given to do, grab a broom, or the swarf hook, and get cleaning.

I guess there's a slight difference between the goal of "blowing them away" and "learning as much as I can".

If you are after a job, always be busy. You might end up spending half your time on crap work (sweeping etc.) but you are showing energy, enthusiasm, and willingness to work.

If, OTOH, you only have one week to learn, then you should be devoting your time to watching and asking questions, and trying to get to do as many things as you can, which you've not done before. However, this approach has the potential to cost the business, by slowing down their worker(s), or by you doing a job more slowly, or by you stuffing it up.

I will make one concrete suggestion:
    after the work placement, send them a thank-you note, thanking them for the opportunity to learn, be in a real-world work environment, whatever.

Not an email, not an SMS, not a Facebook posting - a real, written on paper thank-you note.

Cheers,
    Andrew

All of the above and also, just a small thing. Fitters & Machinists don't use rulers, Its a rule. Something as simple as that will tell the tradesperson that you keen enough to have taken the time to find that out.
    Also don't talk about Centimetres. Only use Metres or Millimetres (and obviously 10ths of mm etc)
    You will get crap jobs but that goes with the territory. There's a few reasons for that as well.
    1) no one likes doing the crap jobs so will try and pass them onto someone else lower down the food chain.
    2) If you can stick out the crap jobs without complaining it tells the boss you have got what it takes to stick with the tedious jobs when they come around.

Best of luck with it. There doesn't appear to be many young blokes your age who are interested in this sort of thing. Good on you.

bollie7

Quote Originally Posted by bollie7 View Post
    Fitters & Machinists don't use rulers, Its a rule.
    HAHA my F&M boss calls it a 'measurer' cracks me up...

Fabricator - Be enthusiastic, ie don't roll your eyes when you get a crap job, but don't be jumping up and down with excitement either. Walk between stations with purpose, don't dawdle or put your hands in your pockets. You'll be right you seem to have the passion lacking in a lot of kids so will surely go far in the trade.

Fabricator, all those tips are spot on.

Especially, the written note. I would be impressed with a little touch like that except when I read all the spelling mistakes, then it would be good-bye Charlie. Get the message? No spelling mistakes.

The other tip I always look for is arrive early (5 minutes is OK, and don't be first out of the door at the end of the day, in fact, hang back and ask that one extra question. You know, "I'm not quite sure about that procedure in the @#^&*##, can you go thru it again with me tomorrow?" Usually a winner.

Remember, ask,ask and ask. Makes the boss bloody mad if you screw up by not asking.

Cheers and good luck.

KenM

Hi,
    All of the above
    plus time keeping be early or at least on time and leave on time or bit after.Maybe a notebook and biro to write stuff down,show em your are prepared.
    It won't hurt to thank the tradie you are assigned to ,at the day or weeks end.. You can bet the boss will ask him what he thinks and a thank you from a young guy is usually well thought of.

Its not just the boss and the tradie its basically everyone checking you out.

It won't hurt to pack a lock (+key for it) for your toolbox.Check out the tradies boxes if there are locks on their boxes at knock off time ,slip your lock on,other wise when in Rome...Not all coworkersare 100% honest

Good Luck and enjoy yourself