Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Symtec 1500 vs Record 36x30 lathe

I'm looking to get into woodturning (finally!). I have a couple of machines offered to me, and would like some pros and cons to consider before layin down my money please. I'm considering a Symtec 1500 or Record 36x30 for around $1000 with scroll chucks and some average gouges etc, and possibly a MC1100 for around $600 (also with s/c and chisels). Make your case please gents(and ladies)!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Decisions, decisions.........

The Symtec is a more substantial machine compared to the record which has no bed, only rails. But is the Symtec still supported cutter wise? I don't know how the layout of the Symtec is for free hand turning. I've only played with the Symtec to try the copying features. The MC1100 has served many people well, and gives you variable speed.

Of the three, the Symtec would get my vote. (Purely for the copying abilities)

Goodluck!
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

Yes Tankstand, that is where I am leaning at present. After all it can be used conventionally or with the Symtec cutter.

Are there any other lathes that would be a better proposition than the Symtec, and likely to be had in the $600-1000 range as a second hand item?

Cheers

The Symtec is a great lathe if you want to turn a lot of spindles. The copy set up was it's big selling point but the cutter has to be sharpened correctly to get a good finish. It also has other unique features that make it ideal for production spindle turning, however as the company no longer exists you may have trouble getting spares and accessories.

The Symtec isn't the best choice for bowl turning as it doesn't have a swivel head and is limited to 12" swing. Other than that IMO it's a great buy at that price.

If you could get a Woodfast M908 or M910 in that price range or C1000 if you had to have swivel head that may be a better option.

Thanks for the comments. The Symtec turned out to be badly neglected so I let it go through to the 'keeper...but a lead on a Woodfast , circa 1970, in close to mint condition also came my way with a few extras such as a 3" 3-jaw chuck, and a set of Marples turners chisels and single phase conversion too. A solid old carpenter's bench with a hefty tail vice was included and all within my budget, so I am stoked!

Is VSD able to be adapted to a single phase motor?

Cheers all!

The woodfast would be the better option of all 3 as long as it comes with all parts .
    If as you say in mint condition it should outlast you as they are a very robust lathe. The shaft will be either 1"x10 or M30 so aftermarket accessories will be readily available.

Symtec can be limiting for some work and the record have a small shaft so spares and accessories are harder to come by.

To change to VSD is easy.
    Have a look here
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!