Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which rotary table??

I recently purchased a Opti BF20L Vario mill and am now in the process of looking to buy a rotary table. So far here in Australia I have found the choice very limited.

It seems that I can either take the risk and buy "no name" cheapies on ebay or Vertex from HF. I was very interested in PhaseII or the 2326 LMS 6" Precision one. However, the freight costs are far more than the cost of the table. Not a practical solution.

Questions
    1. For the extra $100 is the Vertex a better buy?
    2. Is there any dealers here in Aus. that sell the other types?
    3. For my machine am I better off with a 4" or 6" table. The Z Axis is 380mm, table size 700 x 180.

ALL comments and suggestions gratefully received.

KenM

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I would use a 6 inch table, nothing bigger. Your table has a similar weight rating to mine.

Mines a Vertex 6 inch.

Know all too well what freight charges can be like, especially on heavy items.

IF u can manage it, maybe a boat journey across to the mainland. Would have to check of course, but at the last H&F sale the sales guys were telling me the next one is March. Weigh the car down a little with a few purchases. Hmmm..........
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

This may surprise some people but Hare and Forbes is not the only machine tool dealer in Australia..

There are many dealers out there, especially in Melbourne..Rotaryprice

You can even make your own

This guy is based in Shepparton, have seen these in the flesh at the Elmore field days, average quality.

Ozmestore also has a couple of rotary tables on Ebay.

I looked at a few and came to the conclusion that the Vertex RT (Hare & Forbes) was the best quality but I didn't like the lack of mounting slots on the 4", unlike on the 6" but that is too big for my X2 MI/Drill. Hence I still don't own a RT.

Also looked at the above "kit", but by the time you buy all the bits it is actually cheaper to buy a complete rotary table!

I have just bought a 6" Vertex with the accompanying three jaw chuck. It came in at around $500.
    The quality is ok, but it depends on what level of accuracy you need. Probably they would not be good enough for a tool room.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by hughie View Post
    I have just bought a 6" Vertex with the accompanying three jaw chuck. It came in at around $500.
    The quality is ok, but it depends on what level of accuracy you need. Probably they would not be good enough for a tool room.
    The test chart that comes with a vertex is amusing....It appears they made every rotary table for the last twenty years identically, even down to the person who tests them....

Not saying H&F are the only place to shop, or even the cheapest. Its convenient for the likes of me who generally want to see what they're buying before laying out what often amounts to several hundred $ at a time and spending hours shopping around. Been to a few places in Melb, so far at least its been hard to find somewhere where the same range can be found, especially if u are like me and also fancy a bit of wood butchering.

Vertex --- Sure they arent the best cash can buy. Seem fine for the average backyard hacker like me.
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

.RC.
    I agree with your comment on the Vertex quality.
    I have a 6 inch Vertex rotary and it is perfectly OK except that the vernier is wrong.
    Mine has a small error because the vernier markings do not align correctly with the handwheel markings.

I did not notice until I tried to cut a 55 tooth gear using excel spreadsheet calculated angular settings.
    I have not tried to check the main scale on the table, or the handwheel markings themselves - but I guess I should.

It is easy to pick if you look - rotate the table and observe the vernier scale marks against the handwheel marks.

Just check before you lay out the cash to buy one.
    Happy machining,
    John.

Engineering Supplies Tasmania in Gormanston Rd up behind Bunnings carry the H&F stuff and in my experience on most things can do it for the catalogue price, i.e. with no added freight. They are pretty helpfull, and can get in other brand as well (including the high end stuff). They usually have a couple of rotary tables there on the shelf so you can play with them.

The vertex 6" is the most common I've come across. I have a vertex dividing head and am happy with it.

In the latest issue, on the news stands now, of Australian Model Engineering Minitech are advertising with a range of rotary tables, dividing heads and tail stocks.

Might be worth a look?

They have a 5" as well, could solve your 4 " or 6" dilemma

Default Rotary Table/s

Thanks for all the replies so far,

Jatt - your tip about the March sale at HF has been very well noted,

RC - Why would I buy a kit and stuff it up for more than the cost of the real thing
    The "test sheet" problem is interesting and on other forums the same comment
    has been said about some lathes too.

Big Shed - I have placed a bid on one of that guys 4" models, $75 max I guess that is
    what I am prepared to gamble on the quality issue. Thanks for the tip on the
    mag. Will try and buy a copy tomorrow. Agree with your view on the "kit"

Hughie - At this point in time my accuracy is within half a metre. I am a real beginner
    trying to be better than I am. But I do hope to be able work those discrepancies
    out soon.

Acton - Engineering Supplies Tasmania is my next port of call. Nice bunch of guys
    there, plus local.

Incidentally, one would think that HF ARE the only serious providers of this stuff. I have checked Applied Machinery in Melb. where I purchased the mill from, they do not sell RT's, Asset in Melb do at the price of a house, on Ebay and Ozmestores there is a range of very cheap quality ones. The "kit" guy??

There is a good opening for the equivalent of CDCO or the LMS in Australia.

Thanks again I DO appreciate all this advice and hope it doesn't come across as if I don't.

KenM

Default Shobha

Anyone have experience of the quality of the a Shobha 6" rotary table - as advertised by Minitech?

www.minitech.com.au: Product: 'Rotary Table / Plates/ Tailstock'

(not sure of the real price as $360 on that page but $495 on the referring page?)

I am planning to attach a 4 jaw chuck by the T-slots so like the 4 slot pattern rather than vertex 3 slot pattern appeals.

Thanks

David
    cheers
    David

------------------------------------------------
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they’ll never sit in. (Greek proverb)

I think you'll find the 6" Vertex has 4 t slots, so the same as the Shoba in that respect.

Dosent really matter if the table has 3 or 4 slots for setting a chuck,alternatively you could machine an arbor and backing plate and mount your chuck directly to the table through the centre hole.

Quote Originally Posted by acton View Post
    I think you'll find the 6" Vertex has 4 t slots, so the same as the Shoba in that respect.
    Not the 6" Vertex that I looked at (Hare & Forbes), but there may be others.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeclay View Post
    Dosent really matter if the table has 3 or 4 slots for setting a chuck,alternatively you could machine an arbor and backing plate and mount your chuck directly to the table through the centre hole.
    Or put a MT3 ER chuck with collets in the centre spindle hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast