Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sex bolts, chicago screws, barrel bolts and binding post screw sets...

Yes, these are apparently all the same thing, or at least the same in concept. I have trawled long and hard through the internet trying to find an Australian supplier (online or physical store in Sydney area) and cannot find anything other than chicago screws for arts and craft etc.

This is precisely what i'm after:
    Products | Fastenal

More specifically, stainless steel versions with no drive mechanism on the barrel bolt/cap, i.e., the sex bolts.

I am now hoping to enlist a few of you to (hopefully) find in minutes what has taken me hours to get no where.

I want something that attaches two parallel lengths of timber and allows for a clockwise/anticlockwise rotation movement in relation to the other.
    Think the hands of a clock, but its not for a clock. In fact, its for one of these:
    Cariboo Gentle Motions Bassinet / Cradle Reviews Australia www.scichild.com

This would be perfect:
    Roto Hinges - Rockler Woodworking Tools
    but i don't want to use these for construction reasons and also don't want to do overseas shipping.

Any other suggestions for bolt systems that might allow for smooth movement, while still providing overall structural strength and being easy on the eyes?

All help very much appreciated

Ryan

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi.

Not sure if this is exatly what you are looking for, but these guys have got a bit of gear for me on occassions that is not on there web site.

Connecting Bolts , Hardware Online-kitchen-furniture-school

Steve
    The fact remains, that 97% of all statistics are made up, yet 87% of the population think they are real.

They are also called "screw posts", used in bookbinding.

Try Aluminum Screw Posts, 1"(100/box)

Hi Journeyman,
    I think you are making the job too hard. I have made a number of frames, quilt stands and baby change tables that are identical to your picture and I have simply used Bunnings connector bolts. Cheap as chips, have never come undone on any of the projects BUT they have an hexagonal recess in both parts to accept an Allen key and, as far as I know, no stainless steel .... and certainly no sex!
    fletty
    Last edited by fletty; 2nd March 2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: .. too many "of's"

I had forgotten that I have pics of one of the quilt stands using the connector bolts .....

fletty

Thumbs up

I've got a contact/supplier in Sydney for screw posts, so long as I can find it. I'll have a dig in the office in the morning for you.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Worse comes to worse bunnies sell them , as do mitre 10
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Fletty, you are probably right. I read somewhere on the internet that nearly all screw posts and connector bolts are very weak (brass/aluminium) and any regular movement will destroy them, which seemed to reflect my limited experience with store-bought furniture with connector bolts. Hence my desire for stainless steel bolts. I will give the bunnies connector bolts a shot.

Love the quilt rack, and it's good to see that the connector bolts obviously work well. Does the unit have much movement if you stand at one end and push it back and forth?

With the joint in the legs, did you use a large washer to prevent the timber scraping anywhere visible while still allowing for a large contact area on each leg? That is what i was thinking of doing...

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Cheers
    Ryan

Hi Journeyman,
    The Bunning's connectot bolts are made from steel and plated with either brass or florentine bronze.
    From memory, I cut washers from takeaway food containers as these gave some lubrication, kept the timber surfaces apart but were thin enough to prevent side-to-side movement (= racking).
    On my early projects I carefully adjusted the length of the 'male' component to bottom out in the 'female' component but, in later projects I used loctite to prevent any unwanted undoing.
    None of the quilt stands nor baby change tables exhibit any racking in spite of a number of very active babies!
    fletty

Good Morning Ryan

I bought some screw posts in brass from Office Works about ten years ago. About the same time, I also bought some in white nylon from M10 to join some melamine cupboards together.

Cheers

Graeme