Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Outdoors sound system

I am looking for ideas for setting up an outdoors sound system. I can run the play list off my network but what do you think would be the best way to set up? Is there a simple touch-panel screen I could use? Is there a 'box' already to go for a reasonable price? What are the best eave mounted speakers for outdoors (they will get wet occasionally). A remote controlled system would be nice.

Any ideas appreciated.

PS: Any links to informative sites would help too, Google hasn't found many useful links so far.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If the speakers will get wet occasionally, I'd go for car or marine speakers as they tend to have polypropylene cones so you won't end up with soggy paper bits.

What you are looking for falls into the realm of home automation - which is one of those market segments that companies see as a real cash cow and they are milking it for all they can get - so don't be surprised by totally stupid prices.

Google 'multi zone audio' and set your wallet to 'maximum discharge'.

There are heaps of out door speakers arround, you get more bang for you buck from speakersin the commercial market, rather than the hi fi market.

There realy is some great stuff out there......speakers with impregnated cones that will run fully immersed, speakers that are 3/4 burried in your garden, some that look like rocks or just waterproof box speakers...the theme parks are lousy with them.

As far as remote control...yeh there are home automation things that will cost you a motsa......or...

you could simply use a media server placed near a window and the stock remote

you could use one of the remote controll extender systems

or some sort of remote administration software via a wireless network

surely there is an AP for the iphone that will do this.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

These guys have some outdoor speakers

The 8.3 model looks pretty reasonable and they get cheaper if your willing to buy 4+.

Yeh just about every public address/background music company has a range of "outdoor speakers"

I've had a very good trot with TOA BS1030s.......I sweet little speaker, well priced, comes with a standard bracket and there is a range of mounting hardware for them.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Hi Groggy,

Don't know much about this stuff but,.. One of the guys at work had an iPhone and showed me that he could change the music playing on his sound system PC system, at home, from the phone, whilst at work. Uses it to do the same at home for BBQs, changes tracks, volume etc. without moving from the chair.

If automation is what you need ot would like this iPhone thing sounds a good option, you get tthe phone, internet and this remote control stuff, via an application I guess.

All beyond me though.

Cheers
    Pops

Thanks Guys (& TL). The mobile device may be an option. I am going to let this task slide till summer comes around and focus my time on finishing my workbench. I'm hoping by summer I may have a different phone (Android type) and that should offer some options too.