Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Dave J Guest

Default Sliding table conversion for TS (Few Pic's)

I built this saw about 20 years ago and thought I would put it on here as it may be of interest for someone thinking of converting a table saw to a sliding table saw.
    As you can see in the first photo, it was just a cheap JBS Taiwanese contractors saw when I bought it second hand for $350 with an extra table piece they had laying around thrown in, from Newcastle Saw Service. I had plans of converting it to a sliding table when I bought I as I couldn't afford one.
    I never owned a lathe back then so my brother machined the main upright post to match my bearings for the sliding table arm.The table runs on second hand alternator bearings that I had laying around at the time.
    All the rest was built on a budget with a mig welder, grinder and drill press, with the sheet metal off cuts folded at my local sheet metal shop.
    I braced the two tie rods front and back under the blade that tie the two ends together to stop them twisting.
    The extra small parts that I needed and new guard etc were bought from Gas weld.
    20 years on it's still running good.
    I have bought a Robland 3.2 mtr panel saw about 2 years ago and have thought of selling this one, but just can't see myself letting it go. It was the first machine I ever built.
    The pictures are scanned from photo's (pre computer) so I hope they come up OK.
    Dave

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Dave J Guest

I forgot to mention that it will handle 8x4 sheets. It cuts a bit over 4ft on the sliding table and the same on the rip fence.
    Dave

Good job looks like a commercial saw at first glance
    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"
    (Edmund Burke 1729-1797)

G'day Dave. Nice one. Any chance of some details on the set up of your cross cut fence and sliding table carriage?
    Cheers
    Mick

Well done Dave, looks great

Default Impressive TS

I also thought you'd plonked it onto a pro bench.
    That's terrific. I love this sort of stuff. You're to be seriously congratulated!
    What else have you got hidden away all these years?

Dave J Guest

Thanks fellas,
    Mick,
    Pictures attached for you. If you need more let me know. I wasn't sure about how the bearings would hold up in that position when I built it, as I didn't have a lathe back then to machine wheels, but after all these years there still running fine. It need a good clean up as I just got it back in the main shed and has coped a bit of dew.
    Terraaustralis,
    Ive probably got a few more things, It's only in the last couple of years that I got interested in computers and forums. If it wasn't for the wife no pictures would have been taken at all.
    I know I have got a few photos around here somewhere of an old 74 or so Bedford armourd guard van that I re chassised onto a Hino truck chassis for a bloke about 8 years ago. It took me 12 months to do as the Hino steering was in front of the axle and had to be moved behind as well as shortening the chassis 1.5mtr's, total rewire etc. It all had to be passed by a RTA engineer and went through with no problems, boy am I glad that ones over though. The last I heard it was sold by the bloke to a security company and they were on a contract to take Ned Kelly's armour around Australia to different museums.
    Not sure if you have seen it but may be interested in the 4wd, I will be doing a rightup on it soon.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f116/n...avatar-114310/
    And the crane
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/ho...photos-113771/

Dave

Looks good, Dave.
    Any chance of a couple of pics of your cross-cut fence as well? There are a few ways to skin that cat and I'm always interested in various solutions.