Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Working with limitations

G'day everyone
    I would like to know how some of you get around any physical limitations you may have to deal with.
    I herniated disk when I worked with the railroad here in the US. They are not able to do much for it for where the injury is (thoracic spine), I would have to lose feeling to the lower extremities for them to even think about opening me up. Needless to say I dont waant to be cut open as it is. So it is dealing with it and trying to enjoy woodworking still.
    I have begun to mount bench top tools onto benches that I can roll out of the way in stead of having to lift off a shelf and return to shelf when done. Lifting sheet goods are not happening unless I have someone to help. At 42 years old it is not a happy thing to deal with.
    So lets hear from you all about what you had to do to still be able to do woodworking with your limitations. I am thinking ideas can be shared and could help someone else figure out a way to get past something that could be holding them back also.

John
    Where the hell did I put that board Stretcher now.

john

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

John not good but then again your still doing it well done. Heavy stuff is out for me I have a helping hand in my wife but there are even limits there. Down sizing your projects would be a good thing to consider there is lots that can be done in small scale work.

Ray

Hi guys
    I like that idea of rolling work aside - smart!
    I survived a motorccle accident but I have some pain, endurance, motivation issues to contend with. With some heavy work in my yard I hired a labourer to do digging etc for me and ended up meeting some great guys who I'm still friends with!
    Anyway the comment about down-scaling work reminded me of a book I found recently about making mechanical marvels in wood. see http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...4?a=0806973587

Quote Originally Posted by davidurquhart View Post
    Hi guys
    I like that idea of rolling work aside - smart!
    I survived a motorccle accident but I have some pain, endurance, motivation issues to contend with. With some heavy work in my yard I hired a labourer to do digging etc for me and ended up meeting some great guys who I'm still friends with!
    Anyway the comment about down-scaling work reminded me of a book I found recently about making mechanical marvels in wood. see Making Mechanical Marvels In Wood:Amazonooks

Hi David

Your plight is not alone here many of us suffer similar issues with pain ,motivation, lack of funds LOL.

Its a good book I have it on the shelf yet to make anything from it, a great Mod off this forum passed it onto me Thanks Watson

So did you buy the book??

Ray

Thumbs up

I understand where your coming from. I worked in the auto body and frame repair for 30 some years, and My back gave out. Got a blood clot in the right leg that they are unable to dissolve, and on top of that, I got a virus in My heart that is keeping me going slow. My arms, legs, and hand mussels are very week. I am 64, but it is a real burden to be halted from working. I live on pills for pain and have injections every 6 weeks. Despite that, I am finishing a 2000 ft addition with the help of My wife, My Daughter, and some help from the fellas in My Church. I am looking forward to getting back into My shop, and doing a little woodwork. A friend who I talk with said this to Me " We all go through hardship in our lives, but You are alive!" I thought about that, and I am able to live, See My grand children, one of which is going to be a Youth Pastor, Life may be hard, but I am still able to live it. That is My strength. My Wife, and Daughter have learned to lay linoleum, and lay flooring, and stain it. It looks great, and I think it is awesome to see what they can do!
    Saved, and so Gratefull, consider Who created us all!

Hi Howard
    Would be cool to see some pics of your project. My 15 year old daughter has accused me of trying to make her into a son!
    I think your profile says you're in Michigan - do you ever see Australian timber over there? I've seen North American cherry, a little Douglas Fir, and some other yellow lumber whose name escapes me (both first cut and plantation) in timber yards here.
    Dave

I did take a one picture of the floor, yesterday. Need to get then on the computer and I will. Would like to try to look up pics of the remodel and post! It's been a several year long affair.

Attachment 135812 Actually, This is a pic of Me laying our flooring. No, I don't think that We can buy it except for you premier timber. I can tell You that We are getting sub standard plywood from someware, It will delaminate. I uploaded the pics, but can not dind them anywhere !