Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default I'm getting there…

Since the last post I've been busy painting and screwing on fittings and finishing small woodwork tasks, like making cleats and a boom crutch. All pretty tedious stuff to the casual onlooker.

I also have a set of sails, a name and am waiting on delivery of a trailer… sounds like a launch sooner rather than later!

Here are a few progress pics

Still a bit to do though, we'll see how we go over the next few weeks.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    Since the last post I've been busy painting and screwing on fittings and finishing small woodwork tasks, like making cleats and a boom crutch. All pretty tedious stuff to the casual onlooker.

I also have a set of sails, a name and am waiting on delivery of a trailer… sounds like a launch sooner rather than later!

Here are a few progress pics

Still a bit to do though, we'll see how we go over the next few weeks.

Mike
    Nice Mike!.........an honest days hard, diligent and neat labour - always presents a pretty picture!.......lovely job.

Default Launched - Vikki Bee

Hi Forumers,

My thread has languished a bit lately, but not so my boat building!

Last weekend on a glorious sunny winter's day in Melbourne I launched my Stir Ven, it was a huge success.

Here is a link to the launch video

The Launch Extended version on Vimeo

And of course you can always back track over my blog to fill in the missing stages from my last post on the thread at my blog.

My Stir Ven Build

Like a lot of people who read this forum I had wanted to build a boat of my own for years and always seem to find a reason not to start. Then one day I said bugger it and just started.

Two years and nine months later I've now got a beautiful boat.

My advice to anyone thinking about building a boat – some way somehow just do it and do it sooner rather than later.

I'm hanging up the tools for a while and going sailing

Cheers
    Mike

Saying congratulations in this case seems to be lacking something, what a great effort.
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

What Mike said....
    Fantastic result...and terrific movies too!
    What caused the Pacific War? A book to read: here

http://middlething.blogspot.com/

Well done Mike, she looks beautiful. Stir Ven is a nice design, actually I like a lot of Vivier's work.

You have done a great job with her too in a fairly short time too. Took me that long to build a 10 footer!

Cheers, Cameron.

wow nice boat, good work getting it done so fast,

nice video too,

must of felt great after the first tack, after all the hours of work to be sailing

Hey thanks guys for taking the time to check out the launch.

Of course I went sailing again on the weekend just gone by. The weather was brilliant and the real Vicki B and I managed to row our way out of a busy St Kilda marina without mishap. We made a lot less noise than the other boats, but got a lot more stares! There was no chance of breaking the 3knot speed limit either.

We then reached, tacked, jibed even hove to for lunch out by the shipping channel and watched a few container ships at close quarters. It was all very pleasant and exactly what I'd hoped for while toiling away all those months.

Thanks for all the advice from the forum it really is a great place for anyone building a boat.

Mike

Beautiful, just beautiful

Mike, Beautiful boat and wonderful family. What more can we want!?

Looks like the boat is fast. You did such a fine job on the craftsmanship.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    Hey thanks guys for taking the time to check out the launch.

Of course I went sailing again on the weekend just gone by. The weather was brilliant and the real Vicki B and I managed to row our way out of a busy St Kilda marina without mishap. We made a lot less noise than the other boats, but got a lot more stares! There was no chance of breaking the 3knot speed limit either.

We then reached, tacked, jibed even hove to for lunch out by the shipping channel and watched a few container ships at close quarters. It was all very pleasant and exactly what I'd hoped for while toiling away all those months.

Thanks for all the advice from the forum it really is a great place for anyone building a boat.

Mike
    Excellent Mike............enjoy your efforts.............and thankyou for sharing your beautifully completed craftwork with us all!

Mike, BRAVO ZULU, (job well done).
    Only 2 and half years, hmmmm, puts me and a few others to shame.
    Enjoy your time on the water with your family.
    Fair winds.
    Ian L

Absolutely beautiful piece of work. You will be proud of her when you are out on the water.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword

www.artisanpens.com.au
    www.facebook.com/artisanpens.penmakers

Default Building Stir Ven Brisbane - more info? - other builders?

Hello Mike and others building Stir Ven,

Been following your building reports here and your blog. I'm gearing up to build one of these beauties as my next boat. Fortunately I am now retired on acreage with a 12M x 10M shed fully equiped a few steps from the back door!

All my previous boat building has involved working under temporary cover at home or some distance away at generous space and help from others. I'm now retired so that remote building is all way too tedious. Being able to down tools and close the door, or work away (not too much noise at night) is heaven.

Currently sail a Young 6M (completed from bare hull to full racing rig and accommodation for o/nights), quite successful racing who experienced crew as you sail on the edge like a skiff. Bit of a handfull if you have young family aboard and no experienced crew as she still sails fast even reefed.

My previous boat was a TS16 (now 40 y.o.) but I fully restored her to boat show condition in 1994 and won several state & handicap titles in her.

I'm now retired so want to build another boat with more cockpit room and less accommodation, but with more classic lines and good manners when sailed to the max. Living in SEQ I want to have a boat that is easy to launch and can safely run up in shallow sandy beaches we have all around here. Also must be a capable seaboat for partially protected water. I like the NHF's 12 1/2 and the original Folkboat but fixed keels are not on the list, although I have always admired the classic lines of these much loved designs.

From my research Viviers has designed the Stir Ven to meet all my above expectations, although the lack of a full length shallow skeg concerns me and I'm not sure the flush cabin provides the ergonomics I would like - looking at the line drawings both of these issues can be address without undue loss of the classic lines.

You mentioned your regret not obtaining CAD files in lieu of the tedious scaling and plotting from the plan pack - probably introducing some errors as well. This CAD files option does not seem to be listed on Viviers website? Can you enlighten me about this option?

Also have you established contact with English speaking (emailing) builders in France?

I would also be interested in sailing performace / handling with just two crew. How well balanced is the boat to windward - will she track OK hands off once trimmed?

Mike are you able to provide some approximate costs for the completed hull and do you have a contact for the foundry who cast your C/board?

If there are any other Stir Ven builders in OZ or particularly SEQ, I would like to make contact.

You can email direct to [email protected]

Cheers,

David

Default CAD files = Kit Agent in Australia

There is a kit agent in Australia. You should be able to find the link on Vivier's website. He is licensed to cut the kits for FV's designs.

The full size mylar patterns are certainly another way you can go.

You might look at Jewell. She might fit your needs better having a more usable cabin. You have to like mizzens, however.

--Clint Chase

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast