Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Liming white on Australia ash

Hi all

I've been buying nice big chunks of "Australian Ash" from my local supplier for my little electric mandolins. Sustain is an important consideration in solidbody electric instruments, and this stuff has a ton of it! )

Anyway... one of the big US manufacturers is offering their electric mandolins in a white colour, where the grain still shows through. Looking on a few colour-cards I'm wondering if I can get this effect using liming white. I'm currently using watered down Timbermate as a grain filler, then staining with Wattyl gel stain.

I actually have an old tin of liming white in the shed, left by the previous owner. I've mixed it thoroughly and it's a sort of yellowy straw colour, so maybe it's old and horrible and past its prime.

Should I be using the Timbermate to seal the wood and then applying the liming white? What colour should it come up on the Australian ash (the timber is that usual dirty greyish pale nothingy colour)? Do I keep adding more liming white to get a whiter colour? What colour is liming white in the tin (white or the yellowy gunge colour of my old stuff)?

As always, thanks everyone for your help and input!!
    Rob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I generally use Mirotone lacquer, sanding sealer under lacquer. They do a liming finish, if you use it you don't need the sanding sealer. It's very white in the tin, so I suspect your stuff is past its use by.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Feast Watson have a good liming solution and stuff called "Prooftint" which I have never used. The latest Cattledog is out now. Product info 1800 252 502. Might be worth a call.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}