Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mitsubishi 4g54 Engine

Does anyone on here drive a Sigma, Pajero, Magna or Triton with a 4g54 engine? I've a Triton and it's as gutless as a fish fillet (it's the best analogy I could think of)
    Has anyone with the same engine done anything to increase the performance of their motor?

*I'm not a hoon, I don't want to increase the performance of my ute so I can drift and drag and such

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yeh ok skite show us the jaloppy the fish on wheels or is that fish tail/tale

Lots of reasons for that FC one the make

Question

Smart young bloke like you with your business flair should get a new Triton. More grunt than a paddock full of pigs.

Do you mean the AstronII motor?

Try looking in here: The Australian Magna Club I've got good information previously

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Do you mean the AstronII motor?
    Yup. I've looked around and it seems my options are:

• EFI Conversion
    • New Carby
    • Extractors
    • Nitrous and a Turbocharger

I'm tempted to convert it to EFI, I can get the system of a magna for $350 (although a safer estimate would be double that.) It's a lot of work and tuning and stuffing about but if it works as expected it'll be worth it

A new carby is a simple option that alot of people go with, only problem is I run LPG and the carby is superfluous

Extractors are a cheap ($350) and easy way to get an extra 6-10% power and economy. I'll probably buy a set

NOS and a Turbocharger I think not

It's going into a mechanic on Tuesday who'll try and tune it, hopefully he'll be able to fix it

If you're running lpg it's pointless going efi also as you aren't actually using the cars fuel system.
    Those motors are prone to cracked heads and broken timing chains.
    I don't really like mitsubushi's, i've had quite a few as company cars and imo the build quality is poor.

Oh, and i'm a reformed hoon.

I'm not a reformed Hoon, I am still a hoon, just a very wrinkled one!

Get rid of the bloody thing! Or at the very least tear out the poxy Arstron donk and chuck in a V6!

Seriously, if it's your work bus and a 4WD then quit it, get a diesel, preferably a Nissna or Toyota.

Actually the AstronII is a strong motor they can take fair amount of hp on the stock internals, is yours a 2.0 or 2.6ltr?

Unfortunately to get reliable cheap hp they need forced induction, the early head design is not flash, of course they can have a later model head be ported and flowed hot cam bump up the compression like any motor... but by the time you have spent that much(about 10k) you could have a turbo set up. It will make more power use less fuel and be more drivable.(hot NA motors are cantankerous bastards on the street)

As woodnut hinted a v6 can be fitted to

I'm pretty happy with the ute, it's 14 years old and the chassis and bodywork is still in good nick. I had to replace the engine and gearbox though

I considered V6 conversion but it'd cost me about $2500. I won't be replacing the engine again, not after all the effort it was to put the current one in

later model head be ported and flowed hot cam
    Wha?

It's a 2.6 and a turbo is not allowed on my class of licence. Also I don't want to be put in the "Young blokes with turbocharged old utes" category. I don't need more attention from cops

Wha? = fit a later model head then get it ported and flow tested then install a hot cam.

only 14, it already has a later model head, fitting some extractors will give you a small increase in power 6% is pretty optimistic... you will be wasting your time if you dont replace the whole exhaust system with something better. A full 2.5" system would be ample at a guess you'd be up for around $500 to have one bent up from mild steel.
    Add another $500~1000 to match port the inlet manifold and the extractors to the head while you are there to get that 10% increase they quote.
    Gee we've just spent $2k+ and we haven't even got to the carby/air filter and ignition parts yet...

Honestly I would not bother to increase the power on a jap ute, these are work cars they are not ment to be pushed hard as the drivetrain is designed to carry/tow heavy weight, your ute has torsion bar front suspension and a full ladder type chassis thats designed to twist and flex.
    Yes it can be worked around but if $2.5K is too much to install a V6 then fixing everything else will down right scare you

Dollar wise it would be better for you to trade up too something more modern new Tritons are pretty flash , if you want a ute with more power and cruisability a 6cyl commo or falc ute are streets ahead in every way.(AU falc ute and above have one of the strongest full chassis available)

"I don't need more attention from cops" tell that to your right foot...

Looks like the Triton will be replaced by a Holden Rodeo. It's a 2000 model, 3.2 Litre V6. With computerised LPG and glorious power steering

Next plan is to sell the Triton. Anyone want to buy a '96 MJ Triton with LPG and a reconditioned motor?

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken View Post
    Looks like the Triton will be replaced by a Holden Rodeo. It's a 2000 model, 3.2 Litre V6. With computerised LPG and glorious power steering

Next plan is to sell the Triton. Anyone want to buy a '96 MJ Triton with LPG and a reconditioned motor?

Sounds like "From the fire into the frypan"

In trying to learn a little about everything,
    you become masters of nothing.

The V6 Rodeo will have the grunt but they also have a great thirst too.

The economy isn't all bad news, the Rodeo is injected rather than carbied and I reason that if the engine isn't working as hard as a 4-cyl then each cylinder would use less fuel. Theoretically. Anyway, LPG is cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast