Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One handed bloke

Hi folks, I'm new here - like today.

I have always been the creative type, working with my hands etc. In 2004 I had a massive stroke which left me paralysed on the left side. I would like to know if anyone knows of clamps or vices that could be foot or knee operated, this would allow me to do some much loved and missed woodwork projects?

Max

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Two things spring to mind - a shavehorse (although that's typically used with a drawknife which is two-handed) and a loop of rope.

Googling, I found:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ziKwEuDth8h"]YouTube- Foot-operated bench vise[/ame]
    (very clever, I thought!)

and the rope vice (although not a good pic) is shown at
    Carving Benches - Fine Woodworking PDF Cover Page
    left hand side of the illustration.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Mr Waston welcome to the forum nope not seen any clams like that

Arose62 link to yuboob not working

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Mr Waston welcome to the forum nope not seen any clams like that

Arose62 link to yuboob not working
    No, it's very discouraging when one has a concept to continue to be active and creative, but there is no commercial fix for my problem. The shavehorse recommended would help with some things, but they are very expensive to buy and I'm on the Disability Pension. I have even considered model making but the same story - no way of holding the parts...

Max

Mate of mine had a stroke about the same time.
    By making jigs and clamps for his benches and machines, he can now turn out a reasonable bit of woodwork, like boxes etc.
    He can stand though...but left arm and hand useless.
    Nothing commercial around at all, but cam clamps are king in his shed.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Mate of mine had a stroke about the same time.
    By making jigs and clamps for his benches and machines, he can now turn out a reasonable bit of woodwork, like boxes etc.
    He can stand though...but left arm and hand useless.
    Nothing commercial around at all, but cam clamps are king in his shed.
    Thanks, that's the ticket. I've just been browsing the Carba-tec site... some useful things. Two problems 1. on the disability pension. so affording fancy clamps! 2. getting someone to make the changes in my workshop.

Max

G'day again Max,
    Need to ask you, can you stand to work or are you wheelchair bound? If you're sitting to work....what height does your work bench need to be?
    I made all his cam clamps, and I reckon the cost was about $4 a go just for the metal bits. The rest is made from scrap.

Is there a 'Mens Shed' close enough to you? I'd be surprised if you didn't get some help from such and organisation, in fact I'd find it outrageous if you didn't.

Triton Superjaws can be operated by foot & knee.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    G'day again Max,
    Need to ask you, can you stand to work or are you wheelchair bound? If you're sitting to work....what height does your work bench need to be?
    I made all his cam clamps, and I reckon the cost was about $4 a go just for the metal bits. The rest is made from scrap.
    Hi, I cannot stand for more than a few minutes. I have 1 heavy and 1 light work bench, both at normal? bench height. I intend to use a stool to sit at my bench. I think some dogs and fences ( adjustable ones) and a variety of clamps would help.

Max

Max where in Sydney are you?

I am also on the pension Max its tuff but looking at what I have bought of late many here wouldn't think so. I can't explain for personal reasons but nothing crooked.

I have a series of cheap clams which as a one handed pistol grip type similar to these.

I guess your problem is holding and clamping dogs, blocks, stops all could help.

Ray

Max where in Sydney are you?

I am also on the pension Max its tuff but looking at what I have bought of late many here wouldn't think so. I can't explain for personal reasons but nothing crooked.

I have a series of cheap clams which as a one handed pistol grip type similar to these.

I guess your problem is holding and clamping dogs, blocks, stops all could help.

Ray
    Hi Ray, Thanks. I'm in the Blacktown area. The problem with the clamps on the link you posted is that they still require the user to hold what is being clamped and another hand to apply the clamp. I only have one usable hand.

Max

Max there is Cumberland Woodworkers Group in Blacktown worth calling in even for a visit
    they meet Every Friday night and alternative Sat & Sundays.
    See the link for details a good group of fellows.

Yes agree Max but if you or we can help come up with an alternative which allows the use of or suggestions which sparks your own ideas as your the best judge of your ability.

It would come down to what your making I guess often individual jobs would need a possible new idea each time. If you were doing repetition type work then easy as along with some work of course.

Ableworkshop.com - Where disabled woodworkers find tips, tricks and hints on accessible workshops and tools

Mods excuse this please

One Arm Woodworker - Family Woodworking

Our own forum has had requests in the past
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f20/lo...r-lathe-24379/

Ray

Max there is Cumberland Woodworkers Group in Blacktown worth calling in even for a visit
    they meet Every Friday night and alternative Sat & Sundays.
    See the link for details a good group of fellows.

Yes agree Max but if you or we can help come up with an alternative which allows the use of or suggestions which sparks your own ideas as your the best judge of your ability.

It would come down to what your making I guess often individual jobs would need a possible new idea each time. If you were doing repetition type work then easy as along with some work of course.

Ableworkshop.com - Where disabled woodworkers find tips, tricks and hints on accessible workshops and tools

Mods excuse this please

One Arm Woodworker - Family Woodworking

Our own forum has had requests in the past
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f20/lo...r-lathe-24379/

Ray
    Ray, Thanks heaps. This is GREAT.
    Max

Hi Max
    I work in a community health centre and there is a group operating out of there that does woodwork. They have a workshop set up with all the usual gear. There are several blokes who have had strokes and a couple of guys with MS who are wheelchair bound. What usually happens is if someone needs a hand or a lift or a bucketful of unsolicited advice they just get it. One of the blokes is in a tub chair and has significant weakness in both his arms but he still manages to turn up some nice pieces on the lathe. I suggest if you contact your local community health centre and ask about mens sheds you'll track one down. As far as the money side goes, well the gear is all supplied. There's triton tables, a beaut bench mounted cut off saw, routers, drills, a lathe, glue, screws and everything. This one's in Melbourne but the same arrangement would be in NSW. Now a personal message! You keep going, Max! These guys not only satisfy themselves but also make bits and pieces for less fortunate people as well as things like key holders and such for fundraising. It's also a good social outlet. I hope you find one that suits you, mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast