Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Leady Lathes

Question Leady Lathes

I have decided to take the plunge and buy a lathe. My mate swears that the Leady lathe is about the best around & will do everything I need for the next few years.

Problem is I have never seen one and can't find who sells them in Sydney. Any clues?

Any pros and cons on this lathe would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Jack

Try the link below:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeev...the/lathe.html

We have one at our Guild chapter. I quite like it, as it is compact and solid. It makes a good bowl lathe, but I have had some problems with aligning the head and tailstock, when making lidded boxes. To be fair, I haven't tried very hard to correct the problem.

Hope this helps

Alastair

Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Thumbs up

Got a Leady, had it looooong time, it's done heeeaaaaps! Good solid machine, well engineered, very reliable and simple to use..... GET ONE!

I must admit that the pics on the above link are the first of the lathe that I can recall. Seems OK, has a few definate deviations from the norm. Will be interesting to put one through its paces.

The designer, Bruce Leadbeatter can be contacted on 02-9718 5395. He is frequently at the Cubby House (Sydney Woodturners Guild Inc., Southern Region) in Oyster Bay demonstrating on the third Saturday of each month. There are two Leady lathes also in use there on these days.
    The Cubby House is located at Oyster Bay Oval, Como Road, Oyster Bay.
    Lathe cost is under $1400, is cast iron construction, swivel head, Morse taper 2, belt driven with an extension bed (which means if space is a problem, you don't have to have the extension in use). The main difference you'll notice is the tailstock mechanism that is lever operated rather than screw.
    Bruce has a host of gadgets he has designed over many years available...give him a call.
    Good luck,
    Alan