Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default CNC Rose Engine M2

I've sat quietly and watch this evolve I am impressed

Rose Engine Mark 2

Apologies go to Skew I know I know me too.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

WOW THATS AMAZING
    unlucky for me i dont have the time ,money space for one ohh well of to dream again closest thing to my dream becoming a reality is prob buying a bealle pen wizard
    troy

Quote Originally Posted by mkypenturner View Post
    WOW THATS AMAZING
    unlucky for me i dont have the time ,money space for one ohh well of to dream again closest thing to my dream becoming a reality is prob buying a bealle pen wizard
    troy
    For less than the cost of the Beal you can do Ornamental Turning on your standard lathe basic or simple maybe but it can be done.

Default very impressive

Ray, Excellent machining and design. I have been involved with similar for R&D purposes a few years ago and know what level of accuracy and time that has to go into building something like this.
    Theres some real fancy soft ware out there that would compliment this Rose Engine Lathe to the point of doing some unbelievable delicate art work.

On the whole very impressive piece of machining and machinery.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

New era begins I guess Hughie DVR lathes are just a stepping stone to CNC wood lathes metal lathes already have gone that road even model engineers are using them.

Hmmm,one wonders how the purists will handle it. At the end of the day it will programming ability that rather than artistic ability.

As to CNC Rose Engine Lathe, consider multiple axis CNC Routers. They are already here and can do what any Rose Engine Lathe can do. In fact that can turn bowls and decorate them in one go. They have multiple tool changing systems that can detect broken cutters and replace them. Capable of remote starting ie mobile phone and can work at night when we are asleep turning them selves off when finished.

The software allows a choice of finish that has to be seen to be believed ie you choose a hand carved look and have a fine chiseled look that looks for all intent and purpose as hand carved. Or if preferred a museum finish ready for oiling etc. Scanning potential of doing profile carving of busts etc for photographs.Intricate and delicate carving, as the software allows for support bridging to remain whilst roughing out,that is only removed at the end with the final finishing cuts.

The hardware is equally impressive have a repeatable accuracy of .001"over the full travel of the bed x,y and z axis. Some of the beds are 1.5m x 2.5m, head heights can be ordered to what ever you want.

Expensive? Perhaps, starting around 15kUSD ranging up to 100k. At 15k they are with in the reach of many on this forum and then theres the laser technology......

They are fantastic and as you say purists will cringe and spat wanting to tread the paths of those who brought OT into being. Strange though is if they were still alive today it would them who would be at the forefront of change and asking where to next.

I have seen a $160k machine in operation at H&F's open day making of all things bottle openers

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    They are fantastic and as you say purists will cringe and spat wanting to tread the paths of those who brought OT into being. Strange though is if they were still alive today it would them who would be at the forefront of change and asking where to next.

I have seen a $160k machine in operation at H&F's open day making of all things bottle openers
    Ray.
    One problem I see with CNC in the craft woodturning market is that the quality of wood we are sometimes using is not constant. Freehand turning can make allowances for defects as you go but CNC can not.
    Its is an achievement I guess using CNC but not hand crafted. I am afraid I will have to belong to the "oldies" group but CNC is coming fast.
    Cheers
    Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Edwards View Post
    Ray.
    One problem I see with CNC in the craft woodturning market is that the quality of wood we are sometimes using is not constant. Freehand turning can make allowances for defects as you go but CNC can not.
    Its is an achievement I guess using CNC but not hand crafted. I am afraid I will have to belong to the "oldies" group but CNC is coming fast.
    Cheers
    Edwards

Good point Bronte it would be a case of choosing the best one can get. By allowances I guess you mean "thats not going to work its got faults"- Ïts now firewood"

Although with the aid of other things such as density testing and lighter touch systems, multi cutter heads, being able to change angle mid cut using gear driven heads.

I love the old ways thats why I am trying to glean as much as I can from such as yourself and others, I read a fair bit also (not enough though) it sill comes down to build the machine, turn the wood, and decorate it.

As Hughie says its the programming which will take the time and thought no real difference as you still nee to view the wood and visualise finished product.

CNC's advantage is as Hughie says turn it on go to bed and wake up next morning hoping you haven't had a blow out.

[QUOne problem I see with CNC in the craft woodturning market is that the quality of wood we are sometimes using is not constant. Freehand turning can make allowances for defects as you go but CNC can not.

You should take a gander at the artcam software, more than a match for most timbers.

Default CNC Wood Working

G'day Y'all
    I am an old man with arthritic hands and close tolerance work is beyond what I can do.
    My son and I built a 4 axis CNC milling machine for a lot less than 15,000. It does not have the tool changers so there is a fair amount of hands on things to do and the bed is only 450 mm x 200 mm.
    The pictures are a small sample of what I can do with it.

The lip at the top is 1mm thick. The stem is 8mm.
    This is what the world is coming to.
    Regards
    Joe
    <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Politicians are like diapers.
    They need to be changed for the same reasons.